U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
 
7,925 posts, read 4,482,627 times
Reputation: 11798

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I didn't read very far into this article. I don't call that a "catchy" title - more a misleading one.

None of the people we hang around with - nor we - "lie about being retired". And the opening part of this article doesn't explain why the author would suggest such a thing.

Not up to the usual BBC journalistic standards.
Agree about the title; it's somewhat misleading. The only people I know of who literally lie about being retired are usually on disability instead and also usually on the "hoarders" shows. As I say, I'd be more interested in those who lie about what retirement is really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
 
7,925 posts, read 4,482,627 times
Reputation: 11798
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm of the opinion that you never retire. You just change what you do.

You take the same skills you've learned over a lifetime in business and apply them to your personal life. You have objectives. You have strategies. You have tactics. You have deliverables and tasks.

That is, you make plans, then you execute your plans. You don't just sit on your duff watching reruns of Wheel of Fortune.
Unfortunately, that's what many end up doing. Hey, I never knew they played reruns of "Wheel of Fortune"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
 
1,608 posts, read 315,858 times
Reputation: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Agree about the title; it's somewhat misleading. The only people I know of who literally lie about being retired are usually on disability instead and also usually on the "hoarders" shows. As I say, I'd be more interested in those who lie about what retirement is really like.
I have a new neighbor that summed it up nicely..."It's like when we were kids hanging out in the summer."

I thought about that and there is truth to it. Sure you might have went on vacation for 1-3 weeks, maybe a few day trips to the beach but for the most part you did nothing and enjoyed doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
 
2,364 posts, read 1,184,921 times
Reputation: 9722
Somewhat of a click-bait title. I thought the BBC didn't do that kind of thing. As for the article, it seems that a couple of people lie about being retired, but I don't know any of them, and I'm certainly not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Upstate, NY
640 posts, read 275,389 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
That's a good point. There's a huge difference in the pension situation depending on circumstances.

To show the other extreme, a friend of mine's brother is a retired fire captain of some sort. His pension? $17k / month. OTOH, some retired fireman in Kansas would probably get a small fraction of that.
17k/month? His pension is over 200k/yr? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
 
1,608 posts, read 315,858 times
Reputation: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
17k/month? His pension is over 200k/yr? Wow.
In NYC it's about $120/year..average pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,955 posts, read 4,949,131 times
Reputation: 20159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Hmm, I signed on here as 'submariner'. I served on subs for 20 years, but in honesty I am now retired.
At least you're not Retired Now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,955 posts, read 4,949,131 times
Reputation: 20159
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I personally believe we all need a "raison d'etre." A reason to live. Whether that be a vocation, avocation, cause, passionate hobby, devoted love, sense of dedication to something or something, whatever. Our life has to have purpose and feel meaningful, or it becomes an existential hell. It's why so many today are so unhappy (look at antidepressant use).

Work at least gives us the illusion, if nothing else, that we're needed somewhere and are accomplishing something. A lot of people need that structure, and I think a lot of people suffer from the loss of it when they retire. Frankly, the constant "Retirement is amazing!" refrain gets old to me and is not convincing.
Are you retired? I ask because if you were retired you would know that retirement IS amazing. After 40 years of being told when and where I have to be for the major portion of my waking hours, being in control of my life and time is the greatest feeling. I know my DH used to get grumpy on Sunday afternoons because of the knowledge that the weekend was coming to an end, and in the morning going back to being a wage slave in a cubicle would loom like a black cloud over his head for the rest of the evening. Now we look forward as much to our busy days as our lazy ones. Sometimes I get the idea of taking a fun PT job at the golf course just for the free golf, but then I realize that means I can't spontaneously do whatever enters my head on any given day, and I say "NO WAY!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
 
7,925 posts, read 4,482,627 times
Reputation: 11798
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Are you retired? I ask because if you were retired you would know that retirement IS amazing. After 40 years of being told when and where I have to be for the major portion of my waking hours, being in control of my life and time is the greatest feeling. I know my DH used to get grumpy on Sunday afternoons because of the knowledge that the weekend was coming to an end, and in the morning going back to being a wage slave in a cubicle would loom like a black cloud over his head for the rest of the evening. Now we look forward as much to our busy days as our lazy ones. Sometimes I get the idea of taking a fun PT job at the golf course just for the free golf, but then I realize that means I can't spontaneously do whatever enters my head on any given day, and I say "NO WAY!"
I've been in jobs where I'm so unendurably unhappy that I would have cut off my right arm to be able to retire, which I guess is where most people are in their work judging by their joy at being retired, but I'm not in one currently. My job is pretty cushy with quite a few perks, so I am not abjectly miserable and dreading each new day. I "get" the being able to do whatever you want with your time, but I maintain that you have to have something to do that is either enjoyable or meaningful (or both), or soon all that "freedom" becomes a burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
 
1,608 posts, read 315,858 times
Reputation: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've been in jobs where I'm so unendurably unhappy that I would have cut off my right arm to be able to retire, which I guess is where most people are in their work judging by their joy at being retired, but I'm not in one currently. My job is pretty cushy with quite a few perks, so I am not abjectly miserable and dreading each new day. I "get" the being able to do whatever you want with your time, but I maintain that you have to have something to do that is either enjoyable or meaningful (or both), or soon all that "freedom" becomes a burden.
Some people need more structure in their lives than others. Nothing wrong with that as we are all unique with different needs and wants.

I have some structure in my life and it works for me. You just need to find the right balance that works for you that keeps you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top