U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM

7,598 posts, read 8,807,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

You take the same skills you've learned over a lifetime in business and apply them to your personal life. You have objectives. You have strategies. You have tactics. You have deliverables and tasks.
This resonates 100%. Change Management & Execution added to the list. Delegation's a bit trickier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,221,294 times
Oh brother. Nobel laureates, professors who do studies for a living. Now THAT'S what I call retirement.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 PM

1,659 posts, read 332,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Oh brother. Nobel laureates, professors who do studies for a living. Now THAT'S what I call retirement.
Nah..this is better...."Silver Snipers". Retired folks who turned professional gamers !

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/...er-strike-team

Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 PM

1,813 posts, read 657,297 times
My career was totally, 100% absorbing when I was young (because it is the only way it can be done), the profession is still respected, and the work is mostly a highly useful work. It was definitely not a McJob, but it was indeed very stressful, and since I was financially all set, I switched to working only in some months at the age of 49, ie, I became semi-retired.

I said this before, but I'll.say it again. Despite the "socially valued" career, I can tell you guys that right now (I am 59) my months off are infinitely superior in terms of happiness and meaningful life to the months when I work. If that is the situation with my "good" career, I can only imagine how relieved people are to break free from miserable, mind-numbing, energy-draining jobs.

I do think that past experiences are important for who we are, and that particularly holds true for the major and prolonged experience of pursuing an occupation, so I am okay with people introducing themselves as a "retired doctor" or "retired teacher" or "retired whatever", rather than plainly and solely a retiree. But, that does not mean that being employed feels better than being free - it certainly doesn't to me.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:45 PM

7,598 posts, read 8,807,320 times
The bliss of retiring comes from not having to work for a living if one doesn't want to. And if one does want to work, and they still can, that too is a valid choice. Having choice brings freedom and freedom is bliss.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM

14,399 posts, read 45,271,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Hmm, I signed on here as 'submariner'. I served on subs for 20 years, but in honesty I am now retired.

Well, I think if you did 20 years you have the right to call yourself a submariner, and wear those dolphins proudly, to the end of your days! Thanks for your service, who knows what mischief you managed to deter or snuff out way early...

Old 08-22-2019, 07:19 AM

7,943 posts, read 4,493,624 times
QUOTE: Despite the "socially valued" career, I can tell you guys that right now (I am 59) my months off are infinitely superior in terms of happiness and meaningful life to the months when I work. If that is the situation with my "good" career, I can only imagine how relieved people are to break free from miserable, mind-numbing, energy-draining jobs.

But surely, being only semi-retired, part of the enjoyment of your months off is the contrast with your months on. There can be no light without darkness, as the saying goes.

QUOTE: The bliss of retiring comes from not having to work for a living if one doesn't want to. And if one does want to work, and they still can, that too is a valid choice.

Point taken, but of course it would be a different and probably lesser job; you wouldn't return to work at the same place, with the same people, in the same role. And for those who - again - don't hate their working lives, that's a real loss.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,633,840 times
One of my brothers is a doctor, he is a skilled investor, he told us he could retired when he was 60, but he has not, just doing part time work and take more time off to do some traveling. He only likes to do road trip in California. He doesn’t care about going overseas.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 08-22-2019 at 08:41 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,340,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
QUOTE: Despite the "socially valued" career, I can tell you guys that right now (I am 59) my months off are infinitely superior in terms of happiness and meaningful life to the months when I work. If that is the situation with my "good" career, I can only imagine how relieved people are to break free from miserable, mind-numbing, energy-draining jobs.

But surely, being only semi-retired, part of the enjoyment of your months off is the contrast with your months on. There can be no light without darkness, as the saying goes.

QUOTE: The bliss of retiring comes from not having to work for a living if one doesn't want to. And if one does want to work, and they still can, that too is a valid choice.

Point taken, but of course it would be a different and probably lesser job; you wouldn't return to work at the same place, with the same people, in the same role. And for those who - again - don't hate their working lives, that's a real loss.
If you donít hate working and donít want to retireó donít retire. Or maybe do something similar by volunteering in retirement. Only you will know how to fill this loss you keep talking about.

Both my husband and I enjoyed our professions- but are enjoying our retirement more. Just the freedom to drop everything and take a trip at a moments notice or sleep-play whenever is our bliss. We feel thankful we are able to do so much.

Your enjoyment may be different for different things.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 AM

22,409 posts, read 14,721,805 times
We moved 7 years ago, cross country, and settled in a community where we knew no one at all. We found a church that was welcoming and we made friends. I joined a book group and made friends. These friends are retired. Occasionally Iíll hear about a former occupation. But Iíve had to get to know people well before learning much about their pre retirement lives. What Iíve noticed is that retirees live full lives in the now and do not spend very much time in the then. At least in their interactions with me, they have not.

I make no secret about my previous work life, but the subject does not come up often.

In our case, neither DH nor I have had a difficult adjustment to retirement.

I donít know who writes these articles, or why. But the majority of retirees adjust well to retirement, in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement