U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 04:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 9,809,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've been retired since 2010. Maybe that's my reason. People assume I am, anyway.
The other day going through a fast food place, the lady asked me if I was a senior. I laughed to myself and said yes. Once I got through getting my food, I thought I should have said no, I graduated.

LOL...don't you hate when you come up with a 'snap answer' later? Happens all the time.

The other day I went to the doctor about my COPD. He listened to my lungs and said, "Your lungs aren't happy". I said, "Well, that makes three of us". He just looked at me. I'm not doing too bad these days but I've lost too much weight and need to work on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 05:18 PM

4,819 posts, read 3,350,408 times
Please get well. I love reading your posts!

Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 9,809,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Please get well. I love reading your posts!

Doin' my best and thanks! I am doing well, really. Just this little 'inconvenience' I got goin' on.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:23 PM

4,819 posts, read 3,350,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Doin' my best and thanks! I am doing well, really. Just this little 'inconvenience' I got goin' on.

I know a few people who deal with COPD.

I understand it can be a struggle.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:10 AM

13,064 posts, read 14,312,743 times
I was caught by this thread because it never occurred to me that people lied about being retired.

Then I got to this quote: "We need to think about who we will be - who we want to be when our formal career ends...."

Talk about Cloud Cuckoo Land over-planning.....could only make sense to someone who thinks they are their career.

It's been almost three decades already, probably a bit tardy to start thinking about "who we will be...." at this point. Alas, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5STIsyN7D60

Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,833,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Like the comments above.

My take is there are two types of retirees.

First, those that hated work and love retirement. When you ask them they never mention their past.

Second, those that loved work and love retirement. I always follow the word retired with my past profession.
There's actually a 3rd category. Those who "retired early" from one profession and pivoted to a new profession or job.

Eg 1: a former sheriff who retired after 25 years in the force and then decided to pursue a different career. Didn't hate their work, but were ready to leave and do something else entirely.

Eg 2: Someone who made a lot of $$$ before age 45 and retired from that career and eventually went a different path, using their skills to do something else like start a new business, consult, etc

Old 08-26-2019, 02:55 PM

7,981 posts, read 4,518,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
There's actually a 3rd category. Those who "retired early" from one profession and pivoted to a new profession or job.

Eg 1: a former sheriff who retired after 25 years in the force and then decided to pursue a different career. Didn't hate their work, but were ready to leave and do something else entirely.

Eg 2: Someone who made a lot of $$$ before age 45 and retired from that career and eventually went a different path, using their skills to do something else like start a new business, consult, etc
Fourth category: Loved the job -- or not -- and either hates or doesn't thrive in retirement.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:12 AM

442 posts, read 175,721 times
I am retired. My part time job is babysitting my eight month old grandson and grown up husband. I also like tai chi and hula lessons. I like to check out the sales on the internet and buy my grandson used toys. Sometimes I go on vacation and buy mindless stuff.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM

116 posts, read 32,153 times
Worried about becoming irrelevant or missing the meaning of work?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

As if waking up before the crack of dawn to crunch numbers in a cubicle and deal with irritating bosses and coworkers on a daily basis is something that I will miss at all. Yeah right!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2019, 02:14 PM

3,214 posts, read 7,016,713 times
I am proud and happy to be retired and it would never occur to me to lie if someone asks me what I do for a living. I earned my retirement and wouldn't go back to a career if they tripled my salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement