U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 PM

493 posts, read 439,737 times

Advertisements

An interesting piece from BBC News... Catchy title aside - it touches on interesting facets of retirement and identity and includes quotes from a HBS professor and a couple of Noble laureates.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48882195
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:20 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,713,198 times
Default Post-Retirement Challenge

Our challenge was identifying things we will want to do in retirement that we find fulfilling. I have my list and my wife has hers, the lists have overlap for shared activities. I have spent 40+ years managing large construction projects while she has spent 25 years working with Special Ed children in regular classrooms. Both jobs have a 'herding cats' element so planning, organizing, and initiating change are things we will need to continue doing in our daily lives to keep our sanity after leaving our respective workplaces.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

Indeed. We are 6-8 years from retirement, but can easily imagine that transition will be not be straightforward. Furthermore, there are multiple stages of transition in retirement itself - as one ages progressively. We have interests that we expect to pursue in retirement but most of them are active variety. What happens when the health or aging comes in the way isn’t something we have managed a plan for. I suppose one rolls with the punches but it is a hope more than a plan.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

781 posts, read 390,954 times
I smiled when the article mentions how academics have more difficulty dealing with retirement. We live in a 55+ community that was founded by a group of distinguished academics 20 years ago. Their Utopian fantasies failed spectacularly and resulted in two bankruptcies and a community that was moribund for over a decade.

In 2016 a new developer turned things around, refunded the HOA, and has things back on track, but, the “old guard” of academics still clings to the failed past. Their emails (often from distant .edu servers) are signed with full academic titles and credentials. After all, how can we assign side dishes for a pot-luck social without the help of a Nobel laureate?

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

1,570 posts, read 309,655 times
I retired early and had an active plan until 60 and then a second plan.
At 60 I still had it in me so went another year before throwing in the towel.

Retired and had a 5 year plan..ran a cow/calf operation on 60 acres. Planned to do that until 60.
At 61 I felt myself slowing down so I put "plan B" into action.

I'm 62 now living in a condo by the beach. Still active but in a different way which is less physically demanding.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

Interesting.

My wife is an academic and I am a former academic. I left academics more than 20 years ago and don’t even like to have people call me doctor, particularly as I am not a medical doctor. So, I am somewhat familiar with the affliction.

PS: The community sounds familiar. My wife had a former colleague to moved to such a community near Tucson, AZ - and the description rings a bell.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

13,849 posts, read 6,608,434 times
I read “social unrest like Arab Spring”, immediate thing comes to mind, craziness. Who wrote this type of article? They need to be locked up.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

1,093 posts, read 429,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I smiled when the article mentions how academics have more difficulty dealing with retirement. We live in a 55+ community that was founded by a group of distinguished academics 20 years ago. Their Utopian fantasies failed spectacularly and resulted in two bankruptcies and a community that was moribund for over a decade.

In 2016 a new developer turned things around, refunded the HOA, and has things back on track, but, the “old guard” of academics still clings to the failed past. Their emails (often from distant .edu servers) are signed with full academic titles and credentials. After all, how can we assign side dishes for a pot-luck social without the help of a Nobel laureate?
Take out?

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

202 posts, read 118,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I read “social unrest like Arab Spring”, immediate thing comes to mind, craziness. Who wrote this type of article? They need to be locked up.
Someone trying to earn a buck and stay relevant in broadcasting/media until they can retire.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

781 posts, read 390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Imagine a young girl, we’ll call her Tiffany, at a stand-up workstation in a windowless room with dozens of others just like her. Tiffany is a recent college grad with a degree in literature or journalism, and she’s at her first job. Drawing on their vast experience and knowledge, she and her coworkers create “content” for posting in online blogs and other media.

This is why 99.99% of online recipes are junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement