U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 03:19 PM

3,751 posts, read 1,926,654 times

Advertisements

I believe in cannabis tourism as I live in a draconian state that allows only those with epilepsy to use it.

I usually buy one container of 10 gummies, 10 mg each.

Best sleeping pill ever. I only use them before bed as I do not like feeling wonky during the day, and I have to drive....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 03:24 PM

12,243 posts, read 7,503,633 times
I was just seriously disappointed that the more recent attempt to smoke it was not fun, like it was back when I was a kid.

I mean, I don't know if it's the difference in the quality of the weed these days (a likely factor) or my own age, or even the fact that I was not in as good company as when I was younger... But it sure wasn't the experience I was hoping to have.

I do think it's a better thing than alcohol (I really don't like alcohol, and have childhood traumas related to my father's use of that) but it's apparently just not my thing anymore. And I'm OK with that. I don't really want to devote time or money to it, and I don't need it to medicate anything.

Now LSD? THAT I miss... But I need a whole weekend to deal with tripping and who has that kind of time, with a guarantee of no responsibilities whatsoever? Not me. If I could wave a magic wand where hallucinogens like that are concerned, I wish we had places where you could check in and get locked in for the duration of the effects so you were not out in the world where you could endanger yourself or others. Controlled environment designed to keep people calm and happy. Acid resorts. It would only be illegal (in my fantasy world) to be out of such places under the influence of it.

Those two drugs are the only things I've ever tried. I've never even been drunk before. I'm ok with that though. I hear good things about shrooms, but the idea of eating fungus freaks me out.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:05 PM

16,537 posts, read 5,426,456 times
Sonic_Spork, it sounds as if when you tried cannabis again, you may have ingested too much THC. Your tolerance would have been pretty low if you hadn't used it for a long time. To you and anyone else who is thinking of trying it, I would urge you to start small with just one toke or a fraction of an edible. Then wait and see before you take more. (Wait 15 minutes or so if you smoke and at least an hour or two if you are consuming edibles.)

The people in this thread who report bad experiences all seem to have one thing in common: they took too much. With cannabis, it's very important to get educated about it first before you try it. And, unless you are experienced and know what your tolerance is, less is more.

If you do take too much, there is a way to relieve the unpleasant symptoms. Chew a black peppercorn or take a CBD edible. It really works.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 PM

842 posts, read 219,804 times
I have been smoking for nearly 40 years. I get a kick out of running circles around my co-workers. Their work is as effortless as it gets.
It’s the only way I can tolerate humans otherwise it could get ugly.
I can retire sometime around April 2021, that’s about 615 days. I cannot wait to retire where there is no hypocrisy surrounding the topic.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:16 AM

4,438 posts, read 5,994,898 times
When I was young, I smoked it occasionally but wasn't a huge fan. I was more of an "upper" kinda personality. A few years back, a friend who was a regular smoker passed a joint around to another friend and myself. I got a really weird feeling, much more intense than I remembered. Anyway, she gives me a joint for my birthday and I smoke it at home by myself (therefore not reducing the amount by sharing). WELL, I want to tell you, I don't know if this stuff was laced with PCP or if this is what good pot is supposed to feel like, but I was totally incapacitated. I could barely get myself off the couch to get to bed. All I could think of was, my elderly Mom is going to be so disappointed when they find me dead of a pot overdose! Anyway, I didn't die but that experience cured me of ever wanting it again.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:15 AM

10,599 posts, read 6,045,011 times
I have used it off and on for over 40 years, I now have a medical marijuana card as it helps relieve the headaches I get from a nerve condition. What I have found was it does not make me stupid, I don't do more than a hit. What it does is make fun things more enjoyable. A bike ride, fishing at sunset, that sort of activity is enhanced. It's not a good thing to do when I go out to dinner, I feel uncomfortable. Or behind the wheel, not a good place. I could drive fine, again I don't get baked I just do one hit, but found myself driving too slowly in front of people trying to get home from work. Really stoned drivers tick me off, they can be found in the passing lane going 54 with the turn signal on so I won't be doing that.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:40 AM

443 posts, read 974,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
When I was young, I smoked it occasionally but wasn't a huge fan. I was more of an "upper" kinda personality. A few years back, a friend who was a regular smoker passed a joint around to another friend and myself. I got a really weird feeling, much more intense than I remembered. Anyway, she gives me a joint for my birthday and I smoke it at home by myself (therefore not reducing the amount by sharing). WELL, I want to tell you, I don't know if this stuff was laced with PCP or if this is what good pot is supposed to feel like, but I was totally incapacitated. I could barely get myself off the couch to get to bed. All I could think of was, my elderly Mom is going to be so disappointed when they find me dead of a pot overdose! Anyway, I didn't die but that experience cured me of ever wanting it again.
I'm sure you know that strictly speaking, the inherent dangers of dying from the actual components of cannabis is about zero, but the feelings, emotions you might experience can be absolutely terrifying, especially when taken orally... Liver processes it into another compound even more potent then when smoked for a given amount of total THC. Also, alcohol can potentiate the effects of cannabis as well. As for strength, yes it's insane what growers can achieve lately with just buds, and if you mix in a shatter/wax/other extract the potency can go above 90% THC... This has always been around, but never anywhere near as popular or so easily available.

Here is an example of the strength of some modern day flowers, purchased and enjoyed during a trip in Denver:

Yep, lab tested to over 30% THC! I can not imagine a new user, or user from long ago who had only experienced low quality cannabis, ripping a few bong hits with this stuff and not being completely overwhelmed. Kind of like a person who never had a drink, doing 6 rapid shots of Everclear on an empty stomach. In the 80's you pretty much had to go with something far south of the boarder/Asia to experience 'connoisseur' grade, high level THC cannabis that were magical. Thai, Acapulco/Colombian Gold, Panama Red, etc were non-hybridized sativa strains, long and properly grown in the right climate. The effects were a happy, fun, energetic experience without ceiling... And not hyperbole to say even hallucinogenic at certain levels/conditions. Of course on the other side of the spectrum very good indica sourced hashish was around, with sedating, almost opium like effects of great strength.

Perhaps a different approach with your cannabis use, might allow you to experience a much better outcome? Say one small puff, wait 15 or so minutes and go from there? Many folks like to 'micro dose', finding it helpful and not at all overwhelming, weird, or scary. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:45 AM

842 posts, read 219,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I'm sure you know that strictly speaking, the inherent dangers of dying from the actual components of cannabis is about zero, but the feelings, emotions you might experience can be absolutely terrifying, especially when taken orally... Liver processes it into another compound even more potent then when smoked for a given amount of total THC. Also, alcohol can potentiate the effects of cannabis as well. As for strength, yes it's insane what growers can achieve lately with just buds, and if you mix in a shatter/wax/other extract the potency can go above 90% THC... This has always been around, but never anywhere near as popular or so easily available.

Here is an example of the strength of some modern day flowers, purchased and enjoyed during a trip in Denver:

Yep, lab tested to over 30% THC! I can not imagine a new user, or user from long ago who had only experienced low quality cannabis, ripping a few bong hits with this stuff and not being completely overwhelmed. Kind of like a person who never had a drink, doing 6 rapid shots of Everclear on an empty stomach. In the 80's you pretty much had to go with something far south of the boarder/Asia to experience 'connoisseur' grade, high level THC cannabis that were magical. Thai, Acapulco/Colombian Gold, Panama Red, etc were non-hybridized sativa strains, long and properly grown in the right climate. The effects were a happy, fun, energetic experience without ceiling... And not hyperbole to say even hallucinogenic at certain levels/conditions. Of course on the other side of the spectrum very good indica sourced hashish was around, with sedating, almost opium like effects of great strength.

Perhaps a different approach with your cannabis use, might allow you to experience a much better outcome? Say one small puff, wait 15 or so minutes and go from there? Many folks like to 'micro dose', finding it helpful and not at all overwhelming, weird, or scary. Good luck.
Nearly 100% of the population will eventually vomit from over drinking.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Nearly 100% of the population will eventually vomit from over drinking.
Agreed, and hopefully purge enough/fast enough if the situation warrants, so as not to die from overdose. Vomiting from too much cannabis is also a reality, along with passing out (greenouting) from too much is also true, except that in and of itself THC can't kill you, as alcohol can... The LD 50 for THC is so crazy enormous in humans, I can't recall what the LD would be... hundreds of mg per/kg? I would think most people who are way too high would like to pass out under safe conditions, such are the negative mental aspects for many.

Alcohol potentiates THC, and can be pleasant when done correctly (twisting), but again if too much of either/variance in people's chemistry, etc can be a very bad experience, especially when severe nausea meets up with the 'spins', or if the THC counters the instinct to purge the alcohol. It's all good in moderation

Old 08-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I believe in cannabis tourism as I live in a draconian state that allows only those with epilepsy to use it.

I usually buy one container of 10 gummies, 10 mg each.

Best sleeping pill ever. I only use them before bed as I do not like feeling wonky during the day, and I have to drive....
I was very lucky to have received an all inclusive '420' trip to Denver for my 50th birthday, and what an experience. Picked up at the airport, and right off of the bat the limo driver says would you like this, showing me a pipe loaded with Durban Poison... You bet! He told me being a limo driver/car rental tech means you never, ever have to buy cannabis; folks just give it away before departing to gulag states.

Went to a bunch of dispensaries which were classy, well run, and super chill - Even got a free J on my birthday of Golden Goat. Did the "420 party bus", sharing bongs, J's, everything, having a great time with folks in their twenties to 70's... EVERYONE was having a great time, without meanness, pissy attitudes, nothing but joy. Even had the CEO and founder of a huge cannabis operation sit on the bus with us after a tour, and have a smoke with us. It is ABSOLUTELY surreal to experience all of this legally, especially living through periods where simple possession of a small joint was BIG trouble in the 80's.

It was great asking a police officer for directions, while carrying a bag with prominent lettering and logo of the Cannabis shop you just visited, with as much a big deal as seeing a Target bag... In many places you would have been shown a jail cell... Completely asinine such duality exists.

So, for anyone who might be curious about trying cannabis, why not? It was so nice seeing many older folks trying it out for the first time, and hearing them say what in the heck was I thinking, this is great! I believe folks over 65 are one of the fastest growing groups of legal cannabis. Lastly, I agree about great sleep using cannabis... Even if there was no 'high' I would still find it the best there is for me - Rapid onset, and good quality sleep... Even my doctor agrees with, and fully endorses this concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement