U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 05:47 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,638,195 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding? From 71 - 76 smoked a lot in HS & slightly beyond . Even grew some in the backyard the year Dad placed me in charge of the large vegetable garden .

What I liked about it: the profuse laughter (over nothing) & the random, intense conversations & debates over the events of the day, listening to CSN&Y, Led Zepplin, Dave Mason, etc., with my headphones on, the semi-euphoria at concerts, the beautiful, deep sleep which followed. I was an honors student, but it never affected my grades negatively. My parents had rules about grades: if they dropped, I had to give up my job at the movie theater which I loved.

What I didn't like about it: the number of cavities I now have in my mouth due to ingesting hundreds of boxes of Captain Crunch over the years (yes, I DID brush constantly; but soft teeth are soft teeth).

That said, I do NOT think marijuana should be legalized, except by prescription. Having taught grades 7-12 for almost 40 years, I find that our youth, in general terms, have become increasingly more apathetic as the decades progress. Marijuana use can be a conduit for apathy, IMO. It's the last thing we need in young people these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 08:19 AM

12,299 posts, read 7,512,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Nearly 100% of the population will eventually vomit from over drinking.
Nearly... I won't be part of that picture. As I've said, I've never been drunk and don't intend to ever be. Not a fan of da boozahol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am glad to see so many people having problems with it. I had never used Marijuana until recently when my sister tried it and raved about it. So I tried it (medical) and immediately was struck with intense anxiety and shakiness. Dizziness and all kinds of unpleasant sensations. I kept trying it for a month in various and sundry applications and it was just utterly useless. The only thing it made me feel was bad.

I plan on giving it one more shot before the medical license runs out but I am glad to see that for some people it isn't this great thing.
You know, the thing is...perspective from a person in Colorado where it's legal and all...it simply does not have to be a big deal. It doesn't have to be for everyone. I mean, I see people telling me to try taking less and all that, but I only had ONE hit off a pipe and it was enough to cause such a violent coughing fit that turned into explosive puking...man, that is a bad memory! While I've got nostalgia for my teenage stoner experiences, I'm not passionate enough about recapturing that state, to keep trying. I've got other things to spend my time and money on that mean so much more to me. I just...don't care. What I guess annoys me is that some folks feel a need to either be immensely in favor of it, or immensely against it. Like either "It should be illegal--think about the children!" or else "I'm a connoisseur, let me tell you all about the life history of this magical strain that is only grown in the most specific of conditions"... Good lord. Weed snobbery, even! It seriously is hipster craft beer all over again here. And if anything, that is also so VERY different from my youthful fun experiences, that it is also off-putting to me.

Ya'll enjoy. I'll keep voting to hopefully protect your rights to do that legally. But I'm good over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Are you kidding? From 71 - 76 smoked a lot in HS & slightly beyond . Even grew some in the backyard the year Dad placed me in charge of the large vegetable garden .

What I liked about it: the profuse laughter (over nothing) & the random, intense conversations & debates over the events of the day, listening to CSN&Y, Led Zepplin, Dave Mason, etc., with my headphones on, the semi-euphoria at concerts, the beautiful, deep sleep which followed. I was an honors student, but it never affected my grades negatively. My parents had rules about grades: if they dropped, I had to give up my job at the movie theater which I loved.

What I didn't like about it: the number of cavities I now have in my mouth due to ingesting hundreds of boxes of Captain Crunch over the years (yes, I DID brush constantly; but soft teeth are soft teeth).

That said, I do NOT think marijuana should be legalized, except by prescription. Having taught grades 7-12 for almost 40 years, I find that our youth, in general terms, have become increasingly more apathetic as the decades progress. Marijuana use can be a conduit for apathy, IMO. It's the last thing we need in young people these days.
Your youthful experiences--yes. That was fun, wasn't it? Glad I didn't have the dental problems though, yeesh.

I dunno, the problems I'm seeing in Colorado are not so much the kids (I have 20 and 17 year old sons)...like many things, reducing the taboo-ness of it has caused some kids to not feel as drawn to it. When it's no big deal, it's easy to not care about getting high. But then some of them do get drawn into the whole "weed culture" thing...but most of the people I see doing that, are young adults who are not from this state. Some are jokingly calling them "weed prohibition refugees." And frankly...I think that the way that you and I did it, although we might regret some of the effects of our apathy and time wasting as teenagers or whatever...it is less harmful than those I've known who have psychological issues and become dependent on it. I hate how the weed cheerleaders claim it's not addictive. No, not in the same WAY as like nicotine or crack or heroin or something...but I have known people whose lives were circling the drain and all they could think about was getting high. I'm sorry but when your family has to go hungry so you can afford bud, because if you don't have it, you panic and become violent to them, you have a problem. My ex was like that, my Dad is like that, I've known others like that. Is there a pre-existing psych component there? Sure, probably. But can we not act like it isn't a thing?

So I think that weed isn't the devil drug it was portrayed to be and it's wrong that it's illegal and there is great medicinal potential, especially for the CBD and so on, and my god can we ramp up the industrial hemp production already... But it isn't this all-wonderful, zero-problem, everyone-should-do-it, thing either. Nothing wrong with not being into weed.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:35 AM

455 posts, read 978,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh, I LOVE Golden Goat!!! I haven't had that since before I left Colorado for Washington state in 2014. Now I want some, lol. Another good one is Green Crack. Colorado has the best weed.
Heck yeah! The Golden Goat was like a citrus blast - Very tasty, smooth and strong. Like you I'm sure, and with so many others, I have tried countless strains via smoke, vape, and eddibles that it is really hard if not impossible to say what could be a favorite... Anymore than what makes for a favorite club on the golf course - they all can excel at a certain purpose where appropriate. I will say a few I remember that I really enjoyed were:

The 30% THC Blue Dream I mentioned. Vaped most of it, and what a nice ride. UK Cheese, island girl, fruity pebbles, grand daddy purple, cat ****, strawberry diesel, home made kief hash, Buddah, Durban Poison, etc... Decades ago there was none better IMO than real Thai and Oaxacan... Of course this was in the days of nearly all lower quality brick/h grown, still the qualities of that mentioned were fantastic by any standard, and not by virtue of forgetful nostalgic waxing.

I hope the trend continues where adults can choose for themselves if to or not to partake, and finally end this asinine prohibition madness based not on the concern of the welfare of its citizens, but for greed, control, and bigotry by virtue of fear. As said by many, it should have never been made illegal, rather embraced for at least by legitimate science for potential medicines, and just as importantly to me, as something people can enjoy who so choose to do so... God forbid it seems people can enjoy a substance that causes kind peaceful joy, introspection, and great feelings of empathy, connectivness and love... And at the same time potentially help with longevity and quality of life. Let's not even consider what virtues the hemp plant has, and how valuable it has proved in the not so distant past, with even more great things being discovered by the day.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:15 PM

13,007 posts, read 14,278,686 times
I smoked grass regularly in the Seventies up until the late Eighties - I was in my thirties and forties. Most of the people I knew smoked grass. Used to buy an ounce a month, but I gave away/shared joints so I didn't smoke it all myself. I never smoked during the day or when I had work to do, but I smoked on weekend evenings and sometimes other evenings.

I loved to get stoned and listen to music. As I said elsewhere it was the only way I could stomach Bach and similar music, and I learned to love it. I used to hate what I considered the rigid, "blocky" quality of Bach....but on grass I would these very qualities made me have complicated and fascinating geometric visual fantasies. And I became a convert! I also often smoked before having sex. It prolonged the experience, and often gave it an easy, dreamy quality.

Stopped smoking grass around '87 or so. I was very, very busy at that point in my life - even on weekends - so there was no time

Last edited by kevxu; 08-26-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 02:34 PM

2,693 posts, read 1,014,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Heck yeah! The Golden Goat was like a citrus blast - Very tasty, smooth and strong. Like you I'm sure, and with so many others, I have tried countless strains via smoke, vape, and eddibles that it is really hard if not impossible to say what could be a favorite... Anymore than what makes for a favorite club on the golf course - they all can excel at a certain purpose where appropriate. I will say a few I remember that I really enjoyed were:

The 30% THC Blue Dream I mentioned. Vaped most of it, and what a nice ride. UK Cheese, island girl, fruity pebbles, grand daddy purple, cat ****, strawberry diesel, home made kief hash, Buddah, Durban Poison, etc... Decades ago there was none better IMO than real Thai and Oaxacan... Of course this was in the days of nearly all lower quality brick/h grown, still the qualities of that mentioned were fantastic by any standard, and not by virtue of forgetful nostalgic waxing.

I hope the trend continues where adults can choose for themselves if to or not to partake, and finally end this asinine prohibition madness based not on the concern of the welfare of its citizens, but for greed, control, and bigotry by virtue of fear. As said by many, it should have never been made illegal, rather embraced for at least by legitimate science for potential medicines, and just as importantly to me, as something people can enjoy who so choose to do so... God forbid it seems people can enjoy a substance that causes kind peaceful joy, introspection, and great feelings of empathy, connectivness and love... And at the same time potentially help with longevity and quality of life. Let's not even consider what virtues the hemp plant has, and how valuable it has proved in the not so distant past, with even more great things being discovered by the day.
I agree completely, although I can't rep you again so soon. I really like the fruity strains, especially the lemon types. I enjoy trying out two new strains a month just to see what they are like. I'm toying with the idea of coming back to Colorado, maybe Salida. We will see if it pans out. Lived there for 35+ years. Loved Manitou Springs.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:32 PM

455 posts, read 978,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I loved to get stoned and listen to music. As I said elsewhere it was the only way I could stomach Bach and similar music, and I learned to love it. I used to hate what I considered the rigid, "blocky" quality of Bach....but on grass I would these very qualities made me have complicated and fascinating geometric visual fantasies. And I became a convert! I also often smoked before having sex. It prolonged the experience, and often gave it an easy, dreamy quality.
How nice. I love Bach, and find his work especially powerful, organic and insightfull when lifted... Especially like Sonata No. 1 in G minor Fugue (Stern or Grumiaux) Partita No.3 in E major Gavotte en Rondeau (Grumiaux), Chaconne (Heifetz), and Glen Gould playing the Goldberg variations recorded in the early 80's... My God you can almost see, and feel the hidden code of the universe, and I simply can not comprehend how humans can have such mastery of conveying beauty... Guaranteed to leave you in awe, and tears from the profoundness of it all. So many other classical pieces that are simply magic under the spell of good cannabis.

By the same token some rap, R&B, funk, jazz, and a lot of classic rock/progressive music is simply on another level too. Try PF "Welcome to the Machine" with headphones, flying along at a good altitude... WHEW! I commented earlier on sexual pleasure in one of my posts, and when shared amply with your partner is simply without words yet invented, or comprehended. Like you both are on another planet, another plane of existence, and with sensations so strong you fear they could almost kill you by overload of pleasure. Absolutely no need for it, just the same I don't need salt for french fries, garlic for bread, or hot peppers for my Mexican dishes... It simply takes them to another level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I agree completely, although I can't rep you again so soon. I really like the fruity strains, especially the lemon types. I enjoy trying out two new strains a month just to see what they are like. I'm toying with the idea of coming back to Colorado, maybe Salida. We will see if it pans out. Lived there for 35+ years. Loved Manitou Springs.
The Golden Goat I had was extremely lemony with some pineapple, especially noted on the dry toke. What a great strain I wish I could enjoy again soon. I too love fruity strains, especially the grape Kool-aid/mango type strains. Strawberry diesel was very nice in this regard, smelling just like strawberries. I too have strongly considered a move to CO, but want to see if housing costs might moderate a bit. I also hope the water situation improves, and does not loom as an issue for some areas. Good luck, and don't Bogart that j

Old 08-26-2019, 05:32 PM

1,326 posts, read 605,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
You know, the thing is...perspective from a person in Colorado where it's legal and all...it simply does not have to be a big deal. It doesn't have to be for everyone. I mean, I see people telling me to try taking less and all that, but I only had ONE hit off a pipe and it was enough to cause such a violent coughing fit that turned into explosive puking...man, that is a bad memory! While I've got nostalgia for my teenage stoner experiences, I'm not passionate enough about recapturing that state, to keep trying. .
Same here. My sister alleged a big weight loss for it so I have been trying pretty hard but I feel like I will give it one more shot and then be done with it. I haven't tried smoking it yet. Vaping did absolutely zero for me. Didn't feel a thing.

I am wondering if perhaps getting older can make a change in the way you process marijuana. Perhaps it is the way you lived your life up until then but if say your body has been trained for 40 + years to have other things that give you pleasure such as food or candy or sugar or alcohol or even prescription drugs can maybe those receptors for maijuana become dulled or shrunken if say they were not utilized in the teen years or utilized very often.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:26 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,638,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Your youthful experiences--yes. That was fun, wasn't it? Glad I didn't have the dental problems though, yeesh.

I dunno, the problems I'm seeing in Colorado are not so much the kids (I have 20 and 17 year old sons)...like many things, reducing the taboo-ness of it has caused some kids to not feel as drawn to it. When it's no big deal, it's easy to not care about getting high. But then some of them do get drawn into the whole "weed culture" thing...but most of the people I see doing that, are young adults who are not from this state. Some are jokingly calling them "weed prohibition refugees." And frankly...I think that the way that you and I did it, although we might regret some of the effects of our apathy and time wasting as teenagers or whatever...it is less harmful than those I've known who have psychological issues and become dependent on it. I hate how the weed cheerleaders claim it's not addictive. No, not in the same WAY as like nicotine or crack or heroin or something...but I have known people whose lives were circling the drain and all they could think about was getting high. I'm sorry but when your family has to go hungry so you can afford bud, because if you don't have it, you panic and become violent to them, you have a problem. My ex was like that, my Dad is like that, I've known others like that. Is there a pre-existing psych component there? Sure, probably. But can we not act like it isn't a thing?

So I think that weed isn't the devil drug it was portrayed to be and it's wrong that it's illegal and there is great medicinal potential, especially for the CBD and so on, and my god can we ramp up the industrial hemp production already... But it isn't this all-wonderful, zero-problem, everyone-should-do-it, thing either. Nothing wrong with not being into weed.
Beautifully written, Sonic. I, too, believe that it must certainly have addictive properties for some (and like you, I don't know why). I've spent the last year teaching at a Juvenile Detention Center & will retire at the end of this year. Best job I've ever had. The majority are in for pot use - & they keep coming back, as much as they hate being incarcerated! I tell them, they either have to learn to count to 30 (urine tests, although they might be random) or move to Colorado!

When I graduated HS, my dream was to spend a few weeks in your beautiful state because I heard there were lots of Hippies there LOL. LOTS of pot around - even the cab driver had some. He told me then (1975) it was only a $10.00 fine if caught with small amounts. Had a GREAT time around the Estes Park area. Oh...the Mountains & the park were breathtaking. Would love to go back someday.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 AM

12,299 posts, read 7,512,350 times
Quote:
Beautifully written, Sonic. I, too, believe that it must certainly have addictive properties for some (and like you, I don't know why). I've spent the last year teaching at a Juvenile Detention Center & will retire at the end of this year. Best job I've ever had. The majority are in for pot use - & they keep coming back, as much as they hate being incarcerated! I tell them, they either have to learn to count to 30 (urine tests, although they might be random) or move to Colorado!

When I graduated HS, my dream was to spend a few weeks in your beautiful state because I heard there were lots of Hippies there LOL. LOTS of pot around - even the cab driver had some. He told me then (1975) it was only a $10.00 fine if caught with small amounts. Had a GREAT time around the Estes Park area. Oh...the Mountains & the park were breathtaking. Would love to go back someday.
Well I have to say, I LOVE Colorado. Another poster mentioned Manitou Springs, and I live in Colorado Springs so I get to go there from time to time, although I think I prefer Old Colorado City. It has a similar vibe, but it's not as far and parking and getting in and out, is just easier. Also they've got better food options. But Manitou still has that funky, artsy thing going on. And more significantly I can totally understand why the Native Americans believed it was a place of spiritual significance, because although I'm pretty skeptical of the "woo woo" stuff, if you go sit quietly in Manitou, there is a...a feel to the place. I mean, for my money it could as easily be a magnetic field or something in the air (other than pot smoke LOL!) but the place has a profoundly calming effect, and the arcade is enough to spark nostalgia even though I did not grow up here. The whole place just trips something in my brain. Something intriguing and enjoyable. And of course, I love the art and the artists and the hippie street musicians and all. And the Coffin Races! I built a winning coffin for that in 2013, yes I did. A freaky giant evil clown head.

And the people here are an absolute delight. So there is a lot to enjoy in this state whether one likes weed or not, but indeed the costs of housing are very high. Someone mentioned water issues...we're not having them at the moment, we had record snowpack last winter, and it's been raining every day all summer. Who knows what lies ahead? But it's tricky, you'd think all the rain would be very welcome, and we're definitely glad that things are not on fire...but we've got issues with drainage and flash flooding is a big problem.

Anyhow, if anyone either lives here, or comes here as a tourist (weed tourism or not) check out Bishop's Castle and if you can plan it in the right time of year (late May/early June) go to the Sand Dunes while the creek is flowing, now THAT is an experience. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Do not, whatever you do, go to the top of Pikes Peak as a lowlander tourist. Altitude sickness is very likely and you will be an unhappy camper. I've seen it.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 PM

2,693 posts, read 1,014,038 times
Quote:

Being put in jail for mj is what the real crime is, shameful! Pennsylvania has medical mj with no penalties, and 30 grams, or less is a misdemeanor with 30 days, and a $500 maximum fine. It's only a matter of time before it's legalized there too, and records will be expunged as they have been elsewhere. The sooner the better. Here are the current mj laws in that state.

https://norml.org/laws/item/pennsylvania-penalties-2

And these Pennsylvanian towns have local decriminalization, and are leading the way to sane laws.

https://norml.org/legal/item/pennsyl...riminalization

-----------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 08-27-2019 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement