U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 03:15 PM

9,207 posts, read 7,960,127 times

Advertisements

Smoked some when I was young but the punishment was not worth the high. Tried some a few months ago (at age 76) with my girlfriend. Well I have COPD and I coughed so bad, I nearly fainted. Looking to get some chewables.

I am all for it man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 03:18 PM

10,647 posts, read 6,064,529 times
Maryland is one of the most liberal states in the union. The voters overwhelming approve legalization. Yet it's not even on the table as of now, so strange.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:47 PM

3,750 posts, read 1,651,376 times
Funny you should ask. Not a fan of smoking, but---

Right now, I'm about to make these --fingers crossed

https://theweedscene.com/magic-chocopot-cookies/

Old 08-27-2019, 04:51 PM

458 posts, read 980,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Funny you should ask. Not a fan of smoking, but---

Right now, I'm about to make these --fingers crossed

https://theweedscene.com/magic-chocopot-cookies/
Have fun, but if you are inexperienced in the ways of making edibles, be DAMN careful. The video shows a fella using 40 grams (almost 1.5 oz's) of "top shelf Afghan strain" cannabis (Indica), and says maybe 24 grams is OK... If you do achieve a a high yield extraction, and all is used in the cookie recipe included, the cookies are not going to be the only thing baked... I have no idea what size cookies will be made, but regardless I would start with a nibble (unless you have a high tolerance), and go from there. One tip to save a lot of $$$ is to ask your dispensary if they have shake for sale. This material is ideal for making edibles, and is what has fallen off of the flowers in the jars, sugar leaves, and maybe a bit of good trim.

If you want maximal extraction, you can also do a 1/2 butter, 1/2 coconut oil, or all coconut oil extraction... Coconut oil is much more saturated than butter, and the now decarboxylated THC has a higher affinity for it. Palm kernel oil is also very saturated, and it's why Nutella is nice for edibles (with added coconut oil for max extraction), and is a nice base for "weed firecrackers". It's very good to know what the cannabis you have has been assayed by virtue of THC-A/THC, so you can titrate your results better. Depending on the strain and THC-A/THC content, I like to use anywhere from *about* 175-250 mg of dry material per serving, which will achieve about 10-20+ mg of THC per dose, depending on the cannabis.

Lastly, I don't like the putting the ground cannabis in the cheesecloth method... Add the ground cannabis to the melted butter/coconut oil, then strain, or leave the chunks if desired... The plant material will definitely have plenty of goodness to achieve a nice lift, believe me. Again, have fun and please report back with your results.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:47 PM

15,641 posts, read 17,968,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There is no Constitutional right to marijuana.

There is no enumerated Constitutional right to most things we consume from cigarettes to broccoli to backrubs.

There are however several ways that marijuana's status could be viewed and interpreted under the Bill of Rights, and in some ways its illegal status has been used to illegally nullify the authority of the Bill of Rights (see 4th ammendment), par for the course in a big government tyranny:

First Amendment: Freedom of religion, et al.

If your religion considers marijuana consumption a sacrament, it should be protected under the first ammendment just as sacramental wine was excepted for the purpose of Catholic communion from the federal prohibition of alcohol. This is an exteremely rare situation, however, so mostly moot unless you are a Rastafarian, but congress is not exactly champing at the bit to protect black men with dreadlocks.

Fourth Amendment: Protection against unreasonable search and seizure.

The illegal status of marijuana has been used as a pretext for nullifying the 4th ammendment. All that a law enforcement officer has to do is say he "smelled marijuana" and they have carte blanche to invade your private property, including your anus, without repercusion, even if no marijuana is discovered.

Essentially, the 4th ammendment is toothless. It doesn't exist in any functional way thanks to the abuse of our dubious and unconstitutional federal drug laws (see the 10th ammendment).

Eighth Amendment: Protection against stiff fines, and cruel and unusual punishment.

There is the argument that given the largely negligible negative societal impact of personal marijuana use, the penalties for its possession for personal use constitute cruel and unusual punishment, and even under decriminalization the fines can be considered unconstitutionally stiff.

Ninth Amendment: Because there are so many basic human rights, not all of them could be listed in the Constitution. This amendment means that the rights that are enumerated cannot infringe upon rights that are not listed in the Constitution.

Since there is no enumerated Constitutional right prohibiting people from controlling their bodies, what they ingest, and self-medication, the 9th ammendment is a de facto right to use marijuana. In short, the 9th ammendment says that using marijuana is none of the government's business.

Tenth Amendment: Powers not given to the federal government by the Constitution belong to the states or the people.

The federal government has no enumerated power to control substances for human ingestion, nor for Americans to prohibit Americans from experiencing inebriation. The Constitution clearly delegates these issues to the States, and in fact, it is the 10th ammendment of the Constitution that underpins the legal right of every state which has reformed marijuana laws to do so.

The very weak Constitutional argument that the federal government uses to justify the federal illegal status of marijuana is the Interstate Commerce Clause which, as long as marijuana is not transported between legal states, is not technically violated.

And it is not like the federal government is unaware of the shaky basis for their anti-marijuana laws. The first prohibitory law against marijuana was the Marihuana[sic] Tax Act of 1937, which was boldly unconstitutional since it blatantly violated the 5th ammendment (self-incrimination) leading anti-marijuana crusaders to enact the illogical and mostly inapplicable, if not unconstitutional, Interstate Commerce Law which is why the Federal government has not been keen to disrupt private business dealings in staes where marijuana has been legalized, because they would never meet the legal challenge of violation of the 4th and 9th ammendments by doing so.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:52 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,023,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oregon is working on legalizing psilocybin mushrooms, but only for medical purposes. They can be a great help for people suffering from PTSD. Recreational tripping is great, but unlikely to become legal any time in the near future.
This is the best news. I hope California will follow, before I croak. I feel sorry for my doctor, who has not a clue. I asked him for a medical marijuana letter, back in the day, and felt like a criminal! He was good, though, he gave me one, but I could tell he was traumatized.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:55 PM

12,548 posts, read 12,727,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Are you kidding? From 71 - 76 smoked a lot in HS & slightly beyond . Even grew some in the backyard the year Dad placed me in charge of the large vegetable garden .

What I liked about it: the profuse laughter (over nothing) & the random, intense conversations & debates over the events of the day, listening to CSN&Y, Led Zepplin, Dave Mason, etc., with my headphones on, the semi-euphoria at concerts, the beautiful, deep sleep which followed. I was an honors student, but it never affected my grades negatively. My parents had rules about grades: if they dropped, I had to give up my job at the movie theater which I loved.

What I didn't like about it: the number of cavities I now have in my mouth due to ingesting hundreds of boxes of Captain Crunch over the years (yes, I DID brush constantly; but soft teeth are soft teeth).

That said, I do NOT think marijuana should be legalized, except by prescription. Having taught grades 7-12 for almost 40 years, I find that our youth, in general terms, have become increasingly more apathetic as the decades progress. Marijuana use can be a conduit for apathy, IMO. It's the last thing we need in young people these days.
In my state, you have to be over 21 to buy MJ. If PA legalized it for teenagers, that was a mistake.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:01 PM

458 posts, read 980,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is the best news. I hope California will follow, before I croak. I feel sorry for my doctor, who has not a clue. I asked him for a medical marijuana letter, back in the day, and felt like a criminal! He was good, though, he gave me one, but I could tell he was traumatized.
Denver has decriminalized psilocybin:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...agic-mushrooms

This is very good news, and I mean especially for folks who can find real relief from PTSD, terminal illness anxiety relief, addiction relief to include alcoholism, etc... So glad some clinical work is being achieved, to I hope unlock some very valuable therapies for people who suffer greatly.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifonwgNbpuU

Old 08-27-2019, 08:50 PM

Funnier if you are stoned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saDnAkBU6Qs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement