U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 AM

28,486 posts, read 40,400,942 times

Advertisements

Wow! Sounds like you're close to the right dosage. It has to be such a relief for you to see him acting better and not being aggressive towards others. Kudos to you for caring enough to find a way to help him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 10:29 AM

5,453 posts, read 2,490,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wow! Sounds like you're close to the right dosage. It has to be such a relief for you to see him acting better and not being aggressive towards others. Kudos to you for caring enough to find a way to help him.
Thank you! Something else I just noticed last night; he stayed asleep.

Went through a difficult few months earlier this year where he'd wake up at 0200 in a blind rage, totally disoriented, scared & very violent. A few times I woke up to him landing on top of me, smashing his skull into mine. Or he would wander outside in the pre-dawn hours, in the snow & below 20-degree temps, in nothing but a tee-shirt, jeans & sneakers; making it as far away as 6 miles before he was found.

I started hanging windchimes up in the room for an 'early waring' system. Fortunately, that stopped on its own just as abruptly as it had started but he has slept very lightly since then. If I tiptoe to the bathroom in the middle of the night he will wake up in a panic.

Last night he slept soudly when I got up to use the restroom. Then I went to the kitchen & got a drink & he slept through that too! I actually put my hand on his chest to make sure he was still breathing & he was perfectly fine ... just asleep!

Old 09-29-2019, 10:51 AM

5,570 posts, read 3,495,085 times
Coschristi, there was an article on the CNN website about CBDV, and I thought about your son:

Can marijuana help treat autism symptoms? A new study aims to find out

A new clinical trial at Montefiore Medical Center in New York will examine the effect of a cannabis compound called cannabidivarin, known as CBDV, on irritability and repetitive behaviors in children with autism spectrum disorder. CBDV is a non-psychoactive chemical compound and does not cause a "high."

Old 09-29-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Coschristi, there was an article on the CNN website about CBDV, and I thought about your son:

Can marijuana help treat autism symptoms? A new study aims to find out

A new clinical trial at Montefiore Medical Center in New York will examine the effect of a cannabis compound called cannabidivarin, known as CBDV, on irritability and repetitive behaviors in children with autism spectrum disorder. CBDV is a non-psychoactive chemical compound and does not cause a "high."
Awesome article!

I've had a sneaking suspicion that some of his violent outbursts were related to seizure activity. He is at that at-risk age for males, according to a lot of my research.

Especially the nighttime disorientation; he couldn't even remember attacking me the next day.

At any rate, there needs to be scientific evidence to lend it legitimacy. I'm in Colorado, which makes it easy for me but there are thousands of other families struggling that don't have the same options I do.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:49 PM

12,591 posts, read 7,177,965 times
I liked smoking marijuana and enjoyed it for decades. unfortunately, in my state it is illegal and a big crime to buy so I no longer smoke on occasion. adults should be able to buy this plant.

the majority don't abuse marijuana, but are penalized for the minority who do.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-29-2019 at 06:27 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Awesome article!

I've had a sneaking suspicion that some of his violent outbursts were related to seizure activity. He is at that at-risk age for males, according to a lot of my research.

Especially the nighttime disorientation; he couldn't even remember attacking me the next day.

At any rate, there needs to be scientific evidence to lend it legitimacy. I'm in Colorado, which makes it easy for me but there are thousands of other families struggling that don't have the same options I do.
Iowa changed their laws because so many high ranking business individuals left the state so they could get help. Says a lot about the governing body in Iowa. Idiots.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Iowa changed their laws because so many high ranking business individuals left the state so they could get help. Says a lot about the governing body in Iowa. Idiots.
Ugh.

I suppose I'm getting WAY ahead of myself hoping that one day (soon) it will be legitimate enough to be covered by insurance.

The new schedule I have him on will cost about $30 every 5 days. That's still WELL worth it but I haven't been employed for 13 years now to be his primary caregiver & that's just hard for me.

He's out of them today & I can't get any more until tomorrow. I gave him one of those I bought that don't have any CBD; just THC. He galloped around the house with a grin & both fists clenched for about 20 minutes making his 'NNGGNNGG" sound & now he's half asleep on the couch.

Definitely going to get the others tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:52 PM

Have you checked into a medical card? I believe the cost should be less.

https://www.westword.com/marijuana/m...retail-9393120

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/medicalmarijuana

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/mar...al-marijuana-0

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks; I'm going to have to do something. He ran out yesterday because I couldn't afford it until today. Went & got it; beat his school bus home by about an hour. Had it waiting on the kitchen counter for him but he punched the bus driver as he got off the bus.

It's been a concern of mine that the para does not stay in between the driver & him. You can NEVER let him walk up behind you. N-E-V-E-R but I really feel like this was MY fault.

I hadn't pursued a medical permit yet because I've lost faith in medical providers & their understanding of Autism. He's run a low-grade fever every day of his life (since a medical procedure), has retained toxic levels of Aluminum in his body & it's always 'we don't know'.

What are the odds that one of them will know something for once?

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

4,408 posts, read 1,267,409 times
I have a vape pen that I haven't used in years. I charged it up, went to the local dispensary (about 1/4 mile away) and bought a cartridge that fit perfectly. 58% THC. I fired it up at home and OMG, it was delicious and very stony.

It's great to live in Oregon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement