U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM

21,848 posts, read 14,525,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've stayed away from all illegal drugs, including marijuana, all my life and I have no intention of starting up now. Nothing good ever comes from using illegal drugs or associating with people who do.
But what if it's legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:03 PM

15,623 posts, read 17,919,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaminade View Post
Overrated.
An opinion. A valid opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. A lot of people are excited about being able to consume marijuana so the positive experiences are being promoted to the utmost and negative experiences are downplayed. Think how alcohol was presented by our peers when e were in high school.

I think it is mostly harmless, but any kind of drug experimentation, including alcohol, should not be entered into lightly. People considering trying it should do their research and start with small amounts. Dispensaries/shops can offer good advice.

Quote:
Makes doing things that requiring thinking a hassle.
This depends on the amount you take and how you react to it. My most productive period in academia coincided with my highest amount of marijuana use. It certainly didn't affect my ability to think, though it did affect my abiity to multitask. That is my personal experience. Yours may vary.

Quote:
Makes you lazy and makes you eat too much.
Again, it depends on your mindset and the strain. Some strains are more cerebral and energizing like Sativa strains, some are relaxing, like Indica strains (often described as 'couchlock', as in you will be locked to your couch).

If you go into thinking, 'I plan to vegetate on the couch and watch movies', the chances of that manifesting are high if you use a variety of marijuana such as Indica.

On the other hand, a Sativa strain makes me want to go hiking, skiing, or mountain biking.

As far as eating to much... yes, that is my experience as well. I do enjoy cooking elaborate, complex, and rich meals :-) others go in for Cheetos and soda.

Quote:
Unhealthy to ingest smoke.
Inhaling any smoke is negative for health. True enough. At my highest rate of pot use, I was smoking the equivalent to about a cigarettes worth every few days. Even with the debunked 'one joint equals ten tobacco cigarettes' comparison, you would have to be smoking an insane amount of marijuana to come close to the negative effects of smoking a canonical 'pack a day' in terms of ingesting burning plant material.

Quote:
Sometimes provides euphoria for otherwise pleasurable things like listening to music or enjoying fun things.
This it does.

Quote:
Despite weed being sort of legal, employers can still drug test by snipping your hair to see what you've been up to the past several months.
There are many ways an employer can test people for marijuana use. Urinalysis is far more common than hair tests because it is cheaper and can still identify chronic users about a month after their las ingestion.

Many states and cities, even some where marijuana is not yet legal, are banning marijuana testing for all but sensitive occupations like those that require operation of heavy machinery.

My advice to anyone considering trying marijuana is to not go in blind. Go to a legitimate dispensary/store and ask questions. Tell them you are new and/or inexperienced and get advice on the different strains, their effects, and how much to take.

Finally, and most importanlty, don't let anyone pressure you into doing any substance you don't want to.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 4,296,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
But what if it's legal?
It's still illegal as far as federal law is concerned. And even if the feds legalize it, I still have no interest in ever trying it.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:23 PM

2,465 posts, read 7,818,150 times
I went to an apartment warming here in Leipzig, Germany over the weekend. Some friends of mine had moved into a new apartment not far from my apartment. I'm a mid-60s guy and most of the people at the gathering were maybe half my age, but no big deal. There were many beverages and plenty of appetizers and small plates of food.

I ate some cookies. I did not see the label on the table that said the cookies were baked with cannibis. It was not a language issue, I speak German well. The label was either covered up by something else or I just did not notice it. I don't consume any drugs or alcohol, and I don't take any medication or over the counter stuff.

Let's just say, I started to feel dizzy pretty quick. I decided to leave the party and walk home (about 500 meters). I made it home OK, but my balance was really bad. My head was spinning. I made it up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment, but I used the hand rail to keep me straight up. I also started to get a bad headache, and I was getting pretty scared.

It took over a day for the strong effects of those cookies to subside. It was not a good experience at all. Let's just say I am not one of the people who will be looking to use "recreational" cannibis at any time in the future.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 PM

7,568 posts, read 8,790,258 times
A few times in college. It made me paranoid and panicky. No interest in drugs.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 PM

16,514 posts, read 5,416,578 times
Back in the 60s and 70s, I used it recreationally but was never a big fan. It was a social thing, a way of fitting in. Its main appeal to me was the feeling of being part of a young, hip subculture. If you were a "head" (as opposed to being a "straight"), it was like belonging to a secret society.

But sometimes smoking a joint made me feel paranoid and anxious. This feeling was so unpleasant, I would only take a hit or two if it were offered, but I didn't go out of my way for it. After I turned 30 I went for years without using it and didn't miss it that much. The only thing I missed was the feeling of relaxation and enjoyment that it sometimes gave me. Listening to music was especially rewarding. But I hated smoking, and I hated the paranoia.

When California legalized cannabis, that opened up a whole new world. I decided to give it another try, hoping it would help my insomnia and anxiety. My doctor agreed, and I got my medical card in 2016. I discovered a whole new world. Now it is possible to find products that are tailored to your needs, something that wasn't possible when marijuana was illegal. You had to take whatever ditch weed the dealer had. Now you can know exactly what strain you're getting and what the effects will be, and you don't even need to smoke it. And you can be assured that whatever you buy has been tested for pesticides or other contaminants.

Smoking didn't agree with me at all and still doesn't, but now I can either vape or get edibles in various forms - tinctures, capsules, tablets, mints or gummis. I learned that indica strains are ideal for insomnia and hybrids (a combination of sativa and indica) are very good for relaxation. (I avoid sativas since they seem to trigger anxiety.)

Another benefit of legalization is that you can microdose. I am a big fan of Petra Mints, as others upthread have mentioned. These come in 2.5 mg. doses, so you can take as few or as many as you need. If I am tense but need to get things done, a couple of Petra mints will relax me but still let me function. At night I use indica gummis or tablets and a CBD syrup, and I go to bed every night secure in the knowledge that I'm going to get a great night's sleep.

Of course there are risks. Some people don't tolerate cannabis very well and others simply don't care for it. Young people whose brains are still developing should avoid it. Overdosing is not dangerous but can be very unpleasant. And, of course, no one should drive under the influence. But when used intelligently and in moderation by mature adults, cannabis has the potential to offer many health benefits without all the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs. I am truly grateful for cannabis because it is not only improved my quality of life but is also enjoyable to use. I just wish it weren't so #$&*! expensive!

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

7,559 posts, read 4,344,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I went to an apartment warming here in Leipzig, Germany over the weekend. Some friends of mine had moved into a new apartment not far from my apartment. I'm a mid-60s guy and most of the people at the gathering were maybe half my age, but no big deal. There were many beverages and plenty of appetizers and small plates of food.

I ate some cookies. I did not see the label on the table that said the cookies were baked with cannibis. It was not a language issue, I speak German well. The label was either covered up by something else or I just did not notice it. I don't consume any drugs or alcohol, and I don't take any medication or over the counter stuff.

Let's just say, I started to feel dizzy pretty quick. I decided to leave the party and walk home (about 500 meters). I made it home OK, but my balance was really bad. My head was spinning. I made it up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment, but I used the hand rail to keep me straight up. I also started to get a bad headache, and I was getting pretty scared.

It took over a day for the strong effects of those cookies to subside. It was not a good experience at all. Let's just say I am not one of the people who will be looking to use "recreational" cannibis at any time in the future.
You took too much. Until you know your dosage you try small bites of one cookie.

Thatís not the target experience anyone is looking for.

Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM

730 posts, read 246,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Modern strains don't really have those side effects anymore.

I don't mind a low dose as an edible, that affects me better.
Other people have suggested a low dose edible. Sort of has me curious.

Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM

16,514 posts, read 5,416,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You took too much. Until you know your dosage you try small bites of one cookie.

That’s not the target experience anyone is looking for.
Dosage makes all the difference between a pleasant, relaxing experience and a paranoid, heart-pounding nightmare. Another thing to be aware of is that, with edibles, it can take up to two hours to feel any effect. Newbies often consume more after a while because they think it's not working. Then they have an unpleasant experience and decide that cannabis is a bad thing. It's very important to go slow until you know what your tolerance is.

For anyone trying edibles for the first time, I would recommend limiting the dose to 2.5 mgs. or less (a standard dose is 10 mg., but that will knock you on your keister if you are not used to it.)

Old Yesterday, 03:56 AM

4,933 posts, read 5,052,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Dosage makes all the difference between a pleasant, relaxing experience and a paranoid, heart-pounding nightmare. Another thing to be aware of is that, with edibles, it can take up to two hours to feel any effect. Newbies often consume more after a while because they think it's not working. Then they have an unpleasant experience and decide that cannabis is a bad thing. It's very important to go slow until you know what your tolerance is.

For anyone trying edibles for the first time, I would recommend limiting the dose to 2.5 mgs. or less (a standard dose is 10 mg., but that will knock you on your keister if you are not used to it.)
That's good advice. For edibles, the effect takes time. Consume too much and it will knock you out.

Read Maureen Dowd's essay from 2014 in the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/o...llow-dude.html

"The caramel-chocolate flavored candy bar looked so innocent, like the Sky Bars I used to love as a child.

Sitting in my hotel room in Denver, I nibbled off the end and then, when nothing happened, nibbled some more. I figured if I was reporting on the social revolution rocking Colorado in January, the giddy culmination of pot Prohibition, I should try a taste of legal, edible pot from a local shop.

What could go wrong with a bite or two?

Everything, as it turned out.

Not at first. For an hour, I felt nothing. I figured Iíd order dinner from room service and return to my more mundane drugs of choice, chardonnay and mediocre-movies-on-demand.

But then I felt a scary shudder go through my body and brain. I barely made it from the desk to the bed, where I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours. I was thirsty but couldnít move to get water. Or even turn off the lights. I was panting and paranoid, sure that when the room-service waiter knocked and I didnít answer, heíd call the police and have me arrested for being unable to handle my candy.

I strained to remember where I was or even what I was wearing, touching my green corduroy jeans and staring at the exposed-brick wall. As my paranoia deepened, I became convinced that I had died and no one was telling me.

It took all night before it began to wear off, distressingly slowly. The next day, a medical consultant at an edibles plant where I was conducting an interview mentioned that candy bars like that are supposed to be cut into 16 pieces for novices; but that recommendation hadnít been on the label."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement