U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM

174 posts, read 94,399 times

Advertisements

Not sure if you mean ever? Then or now? I haven't had any since the 1980s, however when in college in the 1970s I smoked often...too much! Sometimes several times a week and knew other kids who did so daily.

I would like to try it again but from what I remember it really makes you very hungry for sweets and I certainly don't need my sweet tooth taking over today. I've been trying to eat less carbs which is very difficult for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

174 posts, read 94,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's still illegal as far as federal law is concerned. And even if the feds legalize it, I still have no interest in ever trying it.
Lots of legal drugs are bad for you too.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,853,702 times
Bring back the belly laugh...haven’t smoked in many years, that’s what I miss about it.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

24,110 posts, read 17,939,559 times
I'm not much of a smoker. If offered socially, I'll join in, but I don't seek it out. I need quite a bit to get a buzz. Most of the men in my family are several times a week smokers, and occasionally drink. That's flipped for me - I prefer to drink.

I vacationed in a state where it was legal recreationally and where edibles were sold earlier this year. I had some edible chocolates that got me going.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

16,220 posts, read 4,275,370 times
I was a head in my teen years....really enjoyed it. After about age 21 didn't.

It's legal now (let alone easy medical) and I don't like it. It is known for inducing a bit of paranoia and anxiety in many....I think that goes away if you do a LOT of it, but that's not what I want to do.

If it made me happy I'd use it. But it doesn't agree with me....booze doesn't really either, but I'd take a shot glass of Rum before I'd take a J....at least it slows down the mind as opposed to speeding it up.

I have many drugs of choice - coffee, tylenol and tylenol #3, etc. - Neither booze nor Pot are in the regular mix.

I've been just about everywhere (head-wise) and not much compares to being fairly straight and in nature...IMHO. Take a sail on the Bay and all will be well.
Work and accomplishment are my general drugs (and I'm retired!).

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

4,763 posts, read 3,771,585 times
Last time I used marijuana was in the late 70s - and it had gotten to the point where I had extreme anxiety every time I used it. That was it for me. Today, I can't even use caffeine because it aggravates my atrial fibrillation and I don't drink alcohol, so at this point I'm as drug free as I was as a little kid.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

336 posts, read 167,585 times
I live in California where it is legal. I know that many companies here are struggling with the drug testing aspect of legalization. My husband's company has stopped random drug testing on employees in CA. They will drug and alcohol test is there if an accident on a job, but not randomly drug test people just working in an office environment.

I have to laugh at all of the people who say I won't do illegal drugs and I certainly understand that if marijuana is not legal in your state. The real crisis in this country is the opioid epidemic. I know people who have struggled with chronic pain and hated being on the low doses of opioids prescribed by their doctors. These people have gotten their lives back using CBD/THC. I also have family members that struggle with anxiety and a low dose of CBD/THC helps them through their day.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

5,823 posts, read 4,250,571 times
I used to smoke a bit when I was younger. It was fun for a while in certain groups/circumstances, but I didn't like the feeling that I wasn't in control of myself. You have to wait it out to sober up. Not fun when you were heading home to a mother who noticed EVERY thing. LOL Driving was certainly out of the question for me, although I had friends who drove stoned all the time with no problems. I guess? you get used to it.

I got those damned munchies every time and even if I just eaten, I still wanted to eat chips and other junk food. It also bothered my breathing. I felt like I could never get enough air into my lungs even in my 20's.

I could care less in anyone around me smokes. I just don't join in.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

12,230 posts, read 7,485,507 times
It was fun when I was a teenager. I would get high with my friends, and watch silly stuff on TV and we'd laugh at everything. Someone would start ramblingly talking about some strange theory or philosophy that had occurred to them, and the words would make no sense, until they lost the train of it and everyone laughed because it was gibberish. Man. I'd go to make food, and ten minutes after going upstairs, be convinced I'd been gone for hours and someone would come searching for me, and then discover my food and take it. I acted like the fact that food was in the kitchen was a State Secret and I was the first explorer to ever discover the frozen Stromboli. I nearly choked to death on an Easter candy malt ball egg thing. Sometimes I thought I might die, and then I wondered if my friends could read my mind and realize I was scared, and figured I'd better stop before they found out. The worst torment ever was being high in the same room as someone I had a secret crush on.
THEY'RE ALL GOING TO KNOW. Oh my god, have I been making a weird face at him???

Then I had kids, as a very young adult, and I had things to do and no time to be high anymore, so I stopped. In retrospect, I realize it does make me generally lazy and unmotivated and apathetic about responsibilities. I believe that I, personally, am better off without it. But I also believe that a high person is often less dangerous than a drunk one. I support legalization even if using pot isn't my thing.

But I, too, live in Colorado. So when it became legal, my ex wanted to smoke with me. I tried the current legal "stuff" and it was very different. Way too strong. I choked and coughed and eventually threw up. It wasn't fun. No fun was had by me. No laughter. No munchies. I just felt sick. My ex was the type, prone to addiction, who has for years now, smoked every day just to cope with life. He uses it like medicine. And it does have negative effects on him. He is not able to accurately process the consequences of his actions, and it's made him irresponsible. Also it's annoying how many people came to Colorado with nothing but a passion for weed and a head full of hopes and dreams about doing something in the land of magical MJ which, being as how they love it so much, would surely provide them jobs and homes...and now they're on street corners with signs. It's also annoying how many "bud connoisseurs" I have met who are hipsterish about it just like the craft beer people. If just one more white person with dreads tries to explain to me the difference between indica and sativa...

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

7,458 posts, read 4,301,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs9 View Post
Lots of legal drugs are bad for you too.
I stay away from those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement