U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,310,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Big government interference. Freedom, civil society, and happiness are there if the government decides you can have it.

I suppose you support the law that says Alaskans are not allowed to be drunk in bars, too?
That law came about due to people getting drunk and then driving and killing and maiming others. I'm not a bar fly, so I'm pretty indifferent to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 10:26 PM

2,823 posts, read 3,693,892 times
I don't see the attraction although I know a lot of people that love it.I used to smoke it in high school forty years ago,just made me stupid, tired, and hungry.Fooled with it maybe four times since.....same result....smells bad too.

I'm ok with legalization but i'm not interested even if its free.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:46 PM

16,520 posts, read 5,422,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
THC and I are not friends in the least. I never understood what was pleasurable about it; it gave me a panic attack I wouldn't wish on anyone. If I ever tried a CBD product it would have to have almost no THC in it. Probably not nearly as effective without some THC though.
If you can find edibles with a ratio of 18:1 (18 parts CBD; 1 part THC), you can get all the benefits of CBD without the high. A small amount of THC helps the CBD work better. It's called the entourage effect, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:11 AM

12,503 posts, read 12,691,379 times
I had my first joint in beatnik days, before there were such beasts as hippies running around. About 1980 I quit because I got into computer programming and switched to Jolt Cola and nicotine. I stayed straight until I retired, and now smoke occasionally, thanks to a friend who grows the stuff in her back yard.

First, the paranoia and bad experiences are due to smoking too much, just like drinking a whole bottle of whiskey in one sitting. People think smoking is immediate, but it's not. It takes about 5 minutes to come on, and modern commercial bud is very potent. Take one hit and quit. Smoking a pipe rather than a joint is a better idea. You can buy a pretty glass carburetor at any head shop for about $15. A carburetor lets you mix air with the smoke. You don't have to choke yourself. It's not a contest. Take a hit and sit. After 5 minutes, if you want another, go for it. Personally, two tokes is my limit, and I often take just one.

There are two major strains of cannibis: Indica and Sativa. Indica will put you to sleep, but it also stimulates the brain to alpha rhythm, probably the initial impetus for entering the meditative state. I once took a Human Anatomy and Physiology series, and volunteered to demonstrate an EEG. I could send Morse code messages by switching between alpha and beta waves. Sativa is more biased to alertness and activity.

Once again, I want to emphasize that your goal is to get a buzz without getting baked. Stoned out of your gourd is a teenage stunt, similar to getting puking drunk.

I prefer smoking rather than eating because edibles require a big time commitment. Edibles require an hour or two to come on, then continue to enter your system. It's an all day thing. By contrast, one or two hits of bud will pretty much wear off in 2 hours.

The reason to smoke pot varies. I don't find it to be a great pain killer. A couple Aleve do a better job and last longer, though I do use a topical CBD ointment called Ugli Butter (plug plug) for arthritis pain. I like to smoke Sativa and then sit and think. I'm writing a novel, and I get really creative on a couple of hits. I make a few notes, but generally don't have any trouble remembering scenes and plot twists when I sit down at the keyboard. I only smoke maybe once every week or so.

Pot also makes food taste better and music sound better. That may or may not be attractive to you, depending on your tastes.

There is some interesting research that indicates pot may actually be good for the elderly brain, but doing research on pot is still hard because of federal laws. It perked up memory and learning in elderly mice. Take that for what it's worth. It's a long stretch from a mouse to a man. It did have the same effect on young mice as it has on young humans; it makes them stupid. The results in old mice were unexpected.

As for the people who don't care for it, <shrug>. Some people don't like coffee. That doesn't say anything about drinking coffee.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:18 AM

438 posts, read 972,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
If you can find edibles with a ratio of 18:1 (18 parts CBD; 1 part THC), you can get all the benefits of CBD without the high. A small amount of THC helps the CBD work better. It's called the entourage effect, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
The nice part is even fully legal to buy hemp in most states, can achieve/come close to getting the needed THC ratio as you may well know. .3% THC (I believe by weight) is the limit before it is considered cannabis. Of course all sellers follow this to the letter of the law, and some strains/lots actually have zero % THC as sold, so how to get the ratio?... Decarboloxation. Although the hemp may well have zero THC, it may however have say .5-.75% THC-A. During decarboxylation, the THC-A is nearly all converted to THC, thus giving you what is needed. I find that most hemp decarboxylates well at about 220F/100-105C in a sealed container for about 45-50 minutes. Moiusture content, composition, and how well ground all play as factors of course.

I really enjoy making edible products for myself and for others, and for me onset can be anywhere from about 45 mins to nearly two hours. Sublingual tincture are much faster of course. Should note that you can receive intoxicating effects from hemp in sufficient volume... Say after decarb you now have a product with 5-7mg of THC/gram... Depending on tollerance a few grams could take you away. FWIW, here are nutella CBD edibles I will make, and have around for easy dosing.

Attached Thumbnails
Marijuana experiences?-wp_20171109_11_06_54_procrop.jpg  

Old 08-22-2019, 08:56 AM

8,934 posts, read 10,966,883 times
I never liked it then and wouldn't like it now. I can see for medicinal if it makes you feel better.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 AM

5,227 posts, read 1,998,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
There are so many ignorant comments on this thread about "narcotics," etc. - it's just ridiculous. I would love to know what drugs all of the cannabis haters are taking!

I am no expert, but I have watched YouTube vids where it is explained that human beings have an endocannabinoid (sp.?) system - and that imbibing cannabis assists that system in functioning. In other words, we are supposed to feel good, and when we don't naturally feel good, it could be because our endocannabinoid system is out-of-whack and cannabis can help reset it. That was my take-away - would love to learn more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 08-22-2019 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 09:25 AM

3,610 posts, read 4,965,125 times
Smoked a lot of pot forty years ago in college and enjoyed it. My roommates and I, along with other kids, would sit on plastic milk crates around a giant telephone line spool with the bong in the middle. It was a fun atmosphere at the time and when you're in college, it's a time to experiment with new things. I kept smoking after college and after I got my first job in my twenties. Got away from it for no particular reason other than I had other things to do.

A friend brought back some edibles from Colorado last year and gave me some. I tried it, but it just wasn't the same anymore. Perhaps I thought I could go back to my mind state as a 19 year-old, but I couldn't.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:16 AM

7,595 posts, read 8,800,007 times
Geez, don't take it personally, those of you who are nonplussed and aghast at someone having had a bad MJ experience decades ago. Back then people in my college dorm were using bongs more so than rolled joints. Yes of course the dose was too much and/or the weed was really strong, that's obvious in hindsight, but you don't find that out until it hits. No kid was advising another kid to "just take one and only one hit and that's it!"

No doubt cannabis has important medicinal purposes and is a godsend to people who are sick and nauseous and in pain from cancer, chemo, and other maladies. There's also no begrudging others from using and enjoying it, just as there's no judging if others like alcoholic beverages.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:31 AM

21,874 posts, read 14,532,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's still illegal as far as federal law is concerned. And even if the feds legalize it, I still have no interest in ever trying it.
So if the Feds say that a harmless plant is illegal you have no problem with that, but if the Feds say enhanced background checks on all gun purchases, it stands to reason you’ll support Federal law.

Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement