Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 AM

11 posts, read 13,908 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear thoughts and opinions from current and former residents, and guests, of Sun City Hilton Head in Bluffton. I have read some posts from people who have considered it while doing 55+ community and retirement searches in different threads, but would like to know what people who live there think of it? Specifically residents involvement in activities that are offered (golf, clubs, activities), are newcomers welcomed and invited to join into things or do most people have an established group of friends, thoughts about North versus South location, weather, traffic in the summer, etc. Also, wondering if there is diversity in age of the residents - I am 61 and my hubby is 75, so we both hope to find make new friends and wonder if that age spread is representative of who lives there. We have visited four times from August through December and like the area and SC. We realize that a 55+ community is not what some people would chose, but it is right for us. We would welcome any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
Consider hurricanes in your decision. I think you get plywood panels for your windows when you buy a new home.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:51 PM

11 posts, read 13,908 times
Yes, having a home in Naples FL, we did ask about that! Thanks!

Old 08-20-2019, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,818 times
Regarding diversity do you mean ethnicity, age, lifestyle, political affiliations, sexual preferences? I would say it is predominately white, but I saw people of all ethnicities, lifestyles and ages from 55 to 100 plus years old interacting with one another. One of the reasons I chose to move here is I didn't see people fighting about 'issues' political or otherwise. After living in California I chose to live somewhere where there is harmony and lots to do. There are so many activities and groups to join I'm not sure where to start.

I can't wait to move here. In California, I am used to living with fear of earthquakes, fires and floods, antifa, daily angst and protests about everything you can think of. I pay $4.00 a gallon for gas, the homeless are defecating in my backyard in a lovely, upscale suburb just east of the city line. The cops leave them alone.

The hurricane threat is real on the East Coast but this development is far enough inland, the chances of taking a direct hit are minimal, and these homes are built to withstand most hurricane force winds. There is a Sun City here but the same floor plan on a lot not nearly as beautiful as the ones at Hilton Head cost twice as much in California.

I just returned from HH yesterday. I already chose my lot and home but needed to select the interior features I desired before they break ground for my new home. I can't wait. I love Hilton Head and Savannah is one of the most charming cities I have ever visited. My house is on the market in Sacramento for just under $400,000. I am not a wealthy person, but my money will last so much longer in Hilton Head than here in California. Where I live now there are so many lights at night I can only see the moon and airplanes. When I visited Sun City HH I couldn't believe the stars. I haven't seen stars in years.

My friends here can't understand how I could possibly leave California. I can't believe they want to stay here. Yes it is a beautiful state and I have loved seeing and doing almost everything here the last 40 years, but I seek peace, stars, quiet, calm and friendly people. It's why I chose this place, but I must admit I looked at Margaritaville first. It's just not far enough evolved for me. If I was 10 years younger, it might have been my first choice but I am far enough along in years to want a well established community to spend the rest of my days.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PractiSal View Post
My friends here can't understand how I could possibly leave California. I can't believe they want to stay here. Yes it is a beautiful state and I have loved seeing and doing almost everything here the last 40 years, but I seek peace, stars, quiet, calm and friendly people. It's why I chose this place, but I must admit I looked at Margaritaville first. It's just not far enough evolved for me. If I was 10 years younger, it might have been my first choice but I am far enough along in years to want a well established community to spend the rest of my days.
Yes, we got a lot of flak from our friends about leaving California and moving to Arizona. My husband is still trying to have one foot in each state, being a people-pleaser, but since the city we moved away from is rapidly being destroyed by rampant development, in time he will come to see that getting out of CA was the right thing to do.

Sun City Hilton Head sounds lovely. I've never been but I'd like to see it. Congratulations on your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement