U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

463 posts, read 302,355 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a question that perhaps someone here knows from experience. I already tried google but was not able to find a clear answer. Also calling social security isnít appealing to me since the wait time to speak is quite long. Just thought Iíd try here first.

Iím receiving my late hubbys ss. His was a lot more than mine since he worked all his life. I was a stay at home mom and only worked later on in life.

Iíve met a wonderful man and am considering remarriage. I am 65. I started collecting ss at age 62 and switched to his survivor benefits 2 years when he passed.

So my question is what will happen to the ss I now receive when I remarry. Itís my only source of income besides a small pension I receive from my job. Now I know the small pension will continue but am questioning the SS.

Now my man is a wonderful man BUT I would like to keep my present income. Will that be possible?

If anyone knows the answer I thank you for the info you can share.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

13,848 posts, read 6,602,302 times
Google tells me, your survivors benefit will not be affected, provide that you were married at least 10 years and you are older than 60.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

20,121 posts, read 19,120,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Google tells me, your survivors benefit will not be affected, provide that you were married at least 10 years and you are older than 60.
I'm pretty sure that's true. Ten years for sure. And there is an age limit above which you can keep your ex's SS. Happy News!

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

463 posts, read 302,355 times
Wow you must have a different google than me. Lol. Thanks.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

13,848 posts, read 6,602,302 times
I found my it here, plus if you have a choice between the new spouse and former spouse, you can choose the higher benefit.
https://www.elderlawanswers.com/how-...benefits-14386

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

5,310 posts, read 8,540,890 times
Here is SSA's own explanation at https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou.html

"
  • If you remarry after you reach age 60 (age 50 if disabled), you will continue to qualify for benefits on your deceased spouse's Social Security record. However, if your current spouse is a Social Security beneficiary, you may want to apply for spouse's benefits on their record. If that amount is more than your widow's or widower's benefit, you will receive a combination of benefits that equals the higher amount."

Old Today, 02:23 AM

1,039 posts, read 631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Hi. I have a question that perhaps someone here knows from experience. I already tried google but was not able to find a clear answer. Also calling social security isnít appealing to me since the wait time to speak is quite long. Just thought Iíd try here first.

Iím receiving my late hubbys ss. His was a lot more than mine since he worked all his life. I was a stay at home mom and only worked later on in life.

Iíve met a wonderful man and am considering remarriage. I am 65. I started collecting ss at age 62 and switched to his survivor benefits 2 years when he passed.

So my question is what will happen to the ss I now receive when I remarry. Itís my only source of income besides a small pension I receive from my job. Now I know the small pension will continue but am questioning the SS.

Now my man is a wonderful man BUT I would like to keep my present income. Will that be possible?

If anyone knows the answer I thank you for the info you can share.

Thanks.

I was widowed at 44, currently age 62 still working, and from speaking with SSA on several occasions you can remarry after age 60 without loosing the ability to claim or continue to collect a survivor benefit on your late spouse's record.

Like yourself I too have had a wonderful man in my life since 2003. We originally had intentions of getting married after I turned 60, but after meeting with a lawyer and in our particular situations not marrying was the better financial choice for both of us. That being said I would suggest before you go forward with the marriage especially if either of you have assets like a home, etc. is to speak with a lawyer because the last thing either of you need at this stage in your lives is to become a financial burden to each other which can happen if you don't do your due diligence to prevent that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement