U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:58 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,511,531 times

Advertisements

OP, here you go: https://www.legalzoom.com/personal/e...ng-bundle.html

Get the bundle that includes a will, power of attorney, and medical directive.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 08-22-2019 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 AM

22,528 posts, read 14,793,685 times
If you need a trust, have an attorney draw it up. Do not do it yourself. If you donít need a trust, an attorney can draw up a simple will for a reasonable cost. This is not a DIY job, unless you have very few assets and only one heir.

A trust can be complicated. If you need a trust, you need an attorney.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM

127 posts, read 95,539 times
I've had two different sets of wills plus one codicil drawn up by attorneys for both my wife and I, but I may need yet another set since we now live in a different state from where these wills were drawn up.

While I don't think it would be a good idea for most people to attempt to write a will from scratch, I would think that a good basic "fill in the blank" type will would probably suffice for most people. As has been pointed out, jointly owned property of any kind passes outside the will.

It appears that the wills I've had drawn up were pretty much "fill in the blank" type wills with standard wording about paying all your just debts, naming an executor to handle the will, who is to get your "stuff" and what happens if they predecease you.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:58 PM

3,397 posts, read 3,114,878 times
$12000????? That has to be a typo.

$400 for just a will and $1,000 for the entire package is what the cost was here.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:20 PM

5,305 posts, read 2,028,565 times
Nolo is awesome

DIY, have everything notarized, have an attorney answer any questions and/or file with attorney.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:46 PM

4,698 posts, read 2,744,044 times
I would not recommend a DIY will unless you have worked with contracts and other legal documents where wording is critical and you know what you're doing, nor would I do it if the estate is large or the heirs have any potential to raise a ruckus and contest the will.

A trust is mostly used to avoid probate. We used one to make sure we have someone we trust designated to manage our affairs if we are incapacitated so the state cannot assign some yahoo as a guardian.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:30 PM

497 posts, read 1,028,986 times
I typed and printed my own Living Trust from a copy of one from a Nolo library book, got it witnessed with a notary, and recorded with the county a few years ago. You simply put in the information that you'd want to give to any attorney anyway, and it was relatively easy to do. The total cost was $26. You seriously need a trust for a house.

Wills are easy to do. You just type out what you want, and get it witnessed. Holographic wills don't need to be witessed so that's the first thing to do, then type it and get it witnessed for backup. Wills are good to back up a trust, but don't rely only on a will because they require probate and attorneys. Bank accounts, investments and similar things can also be handled directly.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:55 PM

8,514 posts, read 9,281,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
We just don't seem to have the mojo to find a lawyer and pay $12000. for two wills so 'are thinking about doing one of the onine ones and then getting it witnessed afterwards.
Medical power of attorney's needed, too.

Is one easier or simpler to do than another? Its just my husband and myself we own everything jointly (house, car, etc) Assets under 500k. We are in our mid 70s.

Thanks very much for any guidance.
Where do you live? Mtrs5150 charges $1500 to $2000 for a full blown trust. She rightly notes the online stuff is crap and your heirs will spend $1000s trying to untangle the mess these cheopo online products offer.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:16 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,511,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Where do you live? Mtrs5150 charges $1500 to $2000 for a full blown trust. She rightly notes the online stuff is crap and your heirs will spend $1000s trying to untangle the mess these cheopo online products offer.
A lawyer telling you not to use a cheaper solution? I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya

Old 08-23-2019, 02:29 AM

73,149 posts, read 72,969,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
I typed and printed my own Living Trust from a copy of one from a Nolo library book, got it witnessed with a notary, and recorded with the county a few years ago. You simply put in the information that you'd want to give to any attorney anyway, and it was relatively easy to do. The total cost was $26. You seriously need a trust for a house.

Wills are easy to do. You just type out what you want, and get it witnessed. Holographic wills don't need to be witessed so that's the first thing to do, then type it and get it witnessed for backup. Wills are good to back up a trust, but don't rely only on a will because they require probate and attorneys. Bank accounts, investments and similar things can also be handled directly.
Holographic wills must be in the handwriting of the deceased ..not ever typewritten .

“The major requirement found throughout holographic will statutes is that a holographic will must be written entirely in the handwriting of the testator. Probate courts will not accept a typewritten will as a holographic will.

Wills are also fine , not everyone has assets that require probate .

And this is why folks you should not be looking for legal advice on an Internet forum

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-23-2019 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or