U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 01:02 PM

3,899 posts, read 1,005,565 times

Advertisements

I think this thread will still have a small crowd who says to use a local lawyer in the city in which you expect the will to be executed.

The local lawyers have actually been in front of the judges who preside over the probate court and have home field advantage for avoiding any miscommunication. Plus, I'm sure the attorney would be more willing to get involved in any unexpected conflict resolution if it involved a document he or she actually drafted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 02:27 PM
mlb

3,305 posts, read 2,924,072 times
We had our will and trust drawn up by a trust attorney in Utah and then retired to California. The cost was $400. The only change we will need to execute is the Advanced Directives as California state law is different from Utah.

Trust attorneys are way cheaper in Utah. We may just do the nolo paperwork and get it notarized. I cannot imagine what California trust attorneys charge.

A trust attorney here charged 30K to close out my MILs trust...which was outrageous.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:38 PM

3,899 posts, read 1,005,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We had our will and trust drawn up by a trust attorney in Utah and then retired to California. The cost was $400. The only change we will need to execute is the Advanced Directives as California state law is different from Utah.

Trust attorneys are way cheaper in Utah. We may just do the nolo paperwork and get it notarized. I cannot imagine what California trust attorneys charge.

A trust attorney here charged 30K to close out my MILs trust...which was outrageous.
You never tell them how much the trust is worth until they give you a price.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 2,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Maybe some heirs will chime in their stories about online wills.

Perhaps it is best to go over everything with an attorney (you don't know what you don't know). But a will is superceded if financial accounts have beneficiaries listed, I believe. And the deed to a house can be set up as "Transfer on Death" or "Joint Tenancy." So a will wouldn't even affect assets in those cases, right? Unless a person wants to spell out specific items (furniture, jewelry's etc) is a will even necessary? Just asking.

Absolutely correct, kayanne. However, that doesn't necessarily mean putting a simple will together and in writing isn't a good idea, especially if you don't have a TOD deed. In most states, personal property as you mention (e.g. furniture, the drapes, etc.) can be written out in a separate list, or it's often recommended that you put someone's name on the item (e.g. piece of tape underneath it), and give the list to the heirs (e.g. kids etc.). Whatever the case, make sure your heirs at least know where the documents are, or give them copies.

Many attorneys will push complex estate plans, or complex trusts, because then upon death, the heirs have no choice but to pay more in attorney's fees to transfer property after death. Don't drink their Kool-Aid.

In many ways, an annual update and review of your accounts should be something everyone should do, including your beneficiaries. Think about spouses that only name their spouse, and no secondary beneficiary. What if both spouses die in a car accident?

Old 08-23-2019, 03:08 PM
mlb

3,305 posts, read 2,924,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You never tell them how much the trust is worth until they give you a price.
It was going to be free had my SIL not dragged my MIL to an attorney because she didnít want her brother to be the executor.

She stole $135k prior to the attorney becoming trustee.

She was a con and a thief.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,521,897 times
Quote:

Well I can tell you. We had a will and trust drawn up by an attorney coastal San Diego area around 2008 and it was $4,000 then we had some changes five years later and it was another $2,000. I was a dope and should have shopped around.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:03 PM

7,721 posts, read 3,235,463 times
No need or interest in having a trust, online or not. That would be complete overkill.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:23 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,511,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No need or interest in having a trust, online or not. That would be complete overkill.
But you have a will, power of attorney, and medical directive, right?

Old Today, 05:07 AM

3,542 posts, read 5,030,213 times
Quote:
It was going to be free had my SIL not dragged my MIL to an attorney because she didn’t want her brother to be the executor.

She stole $135k prior to the attorney becoming trustee.

She was a con and a thief.
I don't understand. Who stole $135K ? Your mother-in-law stole it ? But was it not already her own estate ? Or does "SHE" refer to the attorney (a female attorney) ? How, and by who, was the $135K stolen ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or