U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 12,603,617 times

Advertisements

When my wife of 14 years told me she wanted a divorce, on my birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

4,762 posts, read 3,318,526 times
^^^^^ As painful as I am sure that was, it might have been a blessing in disguise.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

56,950 posts, read 55,264,892 times
My 33rd. I was entering my ninth month of pregnancy. There was a German restaurant in the area and I asked my now-exh to take me there for dinner. We had dinner, and then he said, "Your mother has a cake for you, so I'm taking you to her house." I got there, and it turned out to be a surprise baby shower with my aunts, cousins, and my mother's friends. My husband left and went to his friend's bar.

Everyone left the shower, and now I was waiting at my mother's to go home but my husband didn't show up until much later and he was drunk as hell. I refused to get in the car with him and he started screaming and cursing at me in front of my parents and drove off. My mother brought me home.

When I got into the apartment, there was my husband sitting eating a meatball sandwich and watching TV. I was so angry and hurt that he would behave this way on my birthday and embarrass me in front of my parents like that and I told him so. He looked at me, called me some more names and threw the rest of his meatball sandwich at me as hard as he could and stalked off to bed. The sandwich bounced off my head and hit the ceiling and left a mark from the sauce. Till the day we moved out of there, that mark was on the ceiling, lol.

The actual end wouldn't come for another eight years, but somehow, my pregnancy and the birth of our child was the turning point for my husband morphing into his dead abusive alcoholic father. He became just like the man he had hated.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

6,433 posts, read 3,662,476 times
My father died on my birthday after nine days of hospice together. At first I thought it would cast a shadow on every birthday thereafter.

But I've come to think of it as hanging on so that he could spend one last birthday with me. That's a little more comforting perspective.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

3,685 posts, read 1,627,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
When my wife of 14 years told me she wanted a divorce, on my birthday.
You beat me to it. On my 40th, the ex said the same thing. We made up, and I kicked him to the curb and beyond a few years later.

Def. for the best! In the long run.

I'm sorry if you feel bad about yours, though. Huge sigh of relief here.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

9,152 posts, read 7,916,761 times
My wife and I did not pay much attention to Birthdays nor Anniversaries. We often forgot them until a few days later. We had no kids so no need to track theirs. We had many milestones and celebrations but not based on Birthdays nor Anniversaries.

I can remember somewhere in my late 20's realizing I was no longer a college kids. Somewhere in my early 40's thinking I am an adult now. Somewhere in my late 60's thinking I am getting old..........LOL

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

5,174 posts, read 2,383,506 times
My 40th. Youngest son (age 3) had just been diagnosed with Autism & the husband never thought much of birthdays. I had to ask if he would take me out but he said 'nah'. Asshat. Anyway, the only person who did anything was my very sweet then 11-year-old son who rode his bike to the corner store & bought me a soda!

That night I showered & tried to get all prettied up. Blew up some balloons & hung streamers in the house while the husband went to bed.

At about 1 am I said 'f this!' & left the sleeping household & drove to this dive bar. Ordered a Long Island Iced Tea & promptly ran into all these moms I knew from my kids' school who were having a ladies night out & were giving me that 'Is she here all alone?' look.

Felt stupid, went home & in my driveway, I got hit on by this drunk guy riding a bicycle who was freaking out because his GF just found out she was pregnant. That's my 'first-world-problems-worst-birthday-ever' story.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

7,580 posts, read 8,795,104 times
My birthday 15 years ago when I got a call that evening that my brother had been found dead in his bed. It took a few years before I was able to celebrate my birthday again.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

24,121 posts, read 17,949,981 times
I don't remember the day itself being bad, but I had a lot of difficult stuff going on around the time of my 30th birthday. Finances were screwed up, my job was shaky, and I went through a rough breakup.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

30,869 posts, read 49,775,164 times
From age 18 until I turned 42, most of my birthdays were deployed underwater. Long work hours of dull monotonous routine that drag on for months, with occasional bursts of emergency crisis. I do not actually remember any of those birthdays. It is just a part of a long dull blur that was my youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or