U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 AM

1,851 posts, read 666,084 times

Advertisements

Forty third. It was a Thursday, I was away from home working on a contract at some miserable place that was falling apart professionally/financially, all of the permanent staff members were hating each other and the rest of the world (including me), the working environment was absolutely horrible... I think the thought of retiring as soon as I could might have crossed my mind for the first time around that time... the place was like a museum exhibit of everything that is most dysfunctional in my profession :-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,073,193 times
On my 14th birthday my long time playmate next door rode the new motorcycle he had gotten for his birthday across a new divided highway, was T-boned, and killed. I will never forget that day.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:58 AM

2,394 posts, read 1,206,053 times
All my birthdays were good, except the one I had during my divorce. That particular birthday, rather than feeling loved, I felt lost.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:31 PM

5,994 posts, read 4,976,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
When my wife of 14 years told me she wanted a divorce, on my birthday.
Ouch! Mine had me served on our 10th anniversary.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM

7,068 posts, read 3,915,648 times
I don't celebrate my birthday. I don't remember any birthday parties from my childhood, to the extent I may have had some. Or a cake or anything. So no bad birthdays or good birthdays. It was no birthdays, I think. So I never celebrated it as an adult. I find it odd that adults do that, actually.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:14 PM

13,279 posts, read 13,805,687 times
what a fun topic for a thread!

for me it would be the one where I was in my early 30s, married stay at home mom with 3 toddlers. my then husband baked a desert that was his favorite which he ate and I did not. And he gave me a single present, which was something that he bought for himself, a computer game that he wanted, which after I opened it he took from me and went in the den and played the game for several hours and ignored me the rest of the evening.

when he came out for a second helping of desert, and noticed that I was unhappy, he called me ungrateful for not appreciating how he baked and gave me a present. and I'm thinking you baked for yourself and the present was for yourself. and now you're yelling at me.

shortly after that he became the ex.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:23 PM

13,951 posts, read 6,671,151 times
Do you realize you are posting to the same poster who started so many how many threads. He is no longer a member. I think it’s a robot minding our data.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:48 PM

17,412 posts, read 17,710,619 times
Well, two years ago, my husband (who had dementia & a traumatic brain injury) was in a new hospital for a different health issue. I couldn't really leave him alone due to his dementia/TBI. He had not been given any food for 72 hours as they were waiting on some tests (which it turned out the doctor forget to schedule).

I was sleeping on a crummy air mattress in his hospital room from Friday night until Monday afternoon (with barely anything to eat myself because he would get agitated when I left to get food from the cafeteria). I finally HAD to leave as I had to do a bowel prep for my Stage IV cancer surgery the next day (in a different hospital). The hospital staff promised to watch my husband, but I did not have any choice, I had to leave.

So the morning of my birthday was spent, hungry and upset in my husband's hospital room, and "discussing" with his doctor why he wasn't on the gastroenterology schedule for that day -and the previous days (as Hubby had been waiting since Friday night for a specific test). The afternoon of my birthday was spent in my bathroom doing the same bowel prep as for a colonoscopy. The evening of my birthday was spent packing for a week long stay in the hospital.

No cake and no presents and no fun.

The one bright spot on my birthday was that my son flew in from 2,000 miles away to take care of me during my surgery and hospital stay and while I recovered. As it turned out he was running between two hospitals, on different sides of town, as his father was still hospitalized for a few more days.

What a birthday!

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-22-2019 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 04:16 PM

8,724 posts, read 9,800,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't celebrate my birthday. I don't remember any birthday parties from my childhood, to the extent I may have had some. Or a cake or anything. So no bad birthdays or good birthdays. It was no birthdays, I think. So I never celebrated it as an adult. I find it odd that adults do that, actually.

I only remember a couple of birthdays when I was a kid. We didn't have parties. Mom probably did get us something and baked a cake but I honestly don't remember. As an adult the people around me never treated it like any big deal and I didn't care. I've nearly always had to work on my birthday too but I never told anyone at work that it was. I've never had a "bad birthday", not even an age related one. I have one coming up in two months. Maybe this one???

When my brother turned 30 he came to see me one day. He was feeling soooo down, depressed and miserable because his 30th birthday was coming up and he felt like he had done NOTHING with his life and would "never amount to anything". He was a good husband and father, worked hard for his family, was enterprising and did well for himself but I guess he just didn't meet his own expectations. Anyway, I told him that his 30s were going to be the BEST years of his life and come talk to me when he hit 40. He will be 70 next month and still remembers that conversation. And tells me I was right!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:16 PM

8,248 posts, read 5,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Do you realize you are posting to the same poster who started so many how many threads. He is no longer a member. I think itís a robot minding our data.
Oh, you know this crowd. We love to gab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or