U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM

66 posts, read 22,661 times

Advertisements

My 60th b'day earlier this year, I was sitting in the ER with intense gall bladder pain. It was later to be removed. As each new nurse came in, they asked me my birth date, because their routine required it for ID. After I said it, and it sunk in, they all said "Oh! Happy birthday!" but that was not to be so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 09:44 AM

8,724 posts, read 9,803,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
My 60th b'day earlier this year, I was sitting in the ER with intense gall bladder pain. It was later to be removed. As each new nurse came in, they asked me my birth date, because their routine required it for ID. After I said it, and it sunk in, they all said "Oh! Happy birthday!" but that was not to be so.

I 'celebrated' my 75th birthday in the hospital recovering from a broken hip. When they found out they said I could have a 'special' dinner and what would I like. Jokingly I said "Steak!". Nope, didn't get it. lol They did give me a nice card and travel mug.

I had to laugh at all those nurses who had to ask me every few hours what my birthdate was. I finally started saying, "The same as it was two hours ago!". Ooops, wrong answer.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 AM

5,564 posts, read 2,993,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Those who remember worst birthdays have a perverse blessing. Many have so many terrible days that birthdays get lost in the fog. I wouldn't suggest being thankful, just keeping it in perspective.
I think you took it up a few too many notches. It is just a conversation question.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:50 AM

3,654 posts, read 2,448,466 times
My July birthday wasn't so hot as I had a biopsy that same day.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:00 PM
mlb

3,305 posts, read 2,922,596 times
1999. Dad died on my 46th birthday. He had been sick and it was expected.....it was still very hard.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:35 PM

10,289 posts, read 3,941,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I know this one is silly, compared to a loved one dying, but it hurt.

I had been married about 3 years to my ex. I was 25 or 26 at that time, and still a very romantic type. My birthday is 2 weeks after Valentine's day. On Valentine's day it became apparent that my ex hadn't bought me a gift or flowers or anything not even a card, even though I had made a fancy romantic dinner and had given him a really nice card. He got really serious and held my hands and told me that he was sorry he didn't have a Valentine's gift because he was saving the money for my planned birthday gift which he said was going to be something really special. We didn't have much money in those days, so I said I understood and was okay with it. 2 weeks later, my birthday comes, and after work I am expecting him to say we are going out to eat for my birthday. He doesn't say anything, so I make dinner, and am waiting for my special gift. After dinner he says nothing for several hours and then hands me a card in a lumpy envelope. I opened it and found a pair of $5 earrings from the drug store. He hadn't planned any gift at all and just stopped on the way home from work and grabbed the first thing he saw. What hurt wasn't the value of the gift, but the lie that he had planned a special gift and that he'd basically just blown off my birthday and Valentine's day because he was lazy and thoughtless.
I dated someone years ago, who did nothing for my birthday. And we'd already been dating and together as a "couple" for a while. It is a sign that the relationship is not good. I think he deliberately didn't want to do anything. He wanted to keep seeing me, though.

I eventually moved on from him and got married to someone else shortly thereafter. I also found out when he married his (now) wife that he didn't put her name on the house he bought.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:51 PM

82 posts, read 15,467 times
My 42nd. Sitting on the river side of the flood wall in Huntington WVA watching a chainsaw demonstration. I spent a lot of my birthdays on the road flying into airports like that one on the leveled off mountain top. That one sticks with me for some reason as I was just tired of travel and the job. Sometimes the flight out was cancelled so I'd have to wait around and watch the Air Guard do touch and goes on the strip until I could find some other multi stop connection or rent a car to drive to Charleston to get a flight home if one was available. If not the decision was get a cab back into town and get out in the morning.

Have to say the chainsaw guys were good as were the people I interacted with. I heard some areas close to parts of the wall are a drug infested squatters area now. Prescription drug abuse hit the area pretty hard then fentanyl and heroin. West Virginia is a beautiful state but it had or perhaps still has the highest age-adjusted rate of drug overdose deaths involving opioids.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

34 posts, read 1,966 times
Sweet 16, I invited 6 “friends” to my party. With my own money I purchased the appropriate tableware and cooked a 6 item Chinese dinner for 6. Showered, put on my best dress, hair makeup, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. Threw away the food, cleaned the dishes, went to bed and cried myself to sleep.

That was 51yrs ago, haven’t “had” a birthday since. My kids were adults before they knew what month and day I was born.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

3,764 posts, read 1,935,753 times
Just another day for me.

I would imagine my worst will be my last one....

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

17,906 posts, read 4,252,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
my 14th birthday was quite bad , my uncle died the day before so it wasnt much fun.
my worst birthday was the one where school started on my bday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or