U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

30 posts, read 8,320 times

Advertisements

my 14th birthday was quite bad , my uncle died the day before so it wasnt much fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

2,763 posts, read 1,738,832 times
My 50th. I was looking forward to dining out someplace nice with my DH. Instead, I ended up writhing on my bed in excruciating pain from a gallbladder attack that lasted about five hours.

In case anyone thinks I'm an idiot for not going to the ER, I had been consulting with my physician for years about this and he said there was nothing that could be done, because it wasn't stones, it was just "sludge." He turned out to be an idiot himself, but at that time, I believed him and thought there was nothing that could be done for me, I just had to soldier through.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

24,579 posts, read 8,617,629 times
No bad ones here, enjoyed all 81.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM

4,591 posts, read 7,114,082 times

Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM

1,639 posts, read 618,329 times
My 11th birthday. I was having my birthday party, and my aunt had not showed up yet with my great aunt. After a few minutes, the neighbor lady across the street came in to talk to my mom, and told her my great aunt was dead. Our neighbor's husband's secretary lived across the hall (in the same apartment building) from my great aunt and called our neighbor. My aunt had gone to pick her up, and her neighbor lady said "She's dead!" Apparently she had a heart attack that morning. This was back in 1967, and they hadn't called the paramedics or anything. I guess they knew my aunt was coming.

In this case, everyone seemed to know everyone else. The birthday party went on....

Old Today, 03:40 AM

1,028 posts, read 376,154 times
My 65 th birthday, a couple of years ago. The end of a four week tour in China. Everyone in the group had been very healthy and then the second last day, many got food poisoning, badly. I thought I was ok but the morning we were leaving, at about 1am, it hit me too. So I took appropriate medication, starved myself and managed to survive the flight to Hong Kong and then the eight hour flight home to Sydney.

Old Today, 06:22 AM

8,146 posts, read 4,975,602 times
My mother-in-law died on my birthday, three years ago. We were close. She was my best friend.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

18,065 posts, read 54,636,044 times
Those who remember worst birthdays have a perverse blessing. Many have so many terrible days that birthdays get lost in the fog. I wouldn't suggest being thankful, just keeping it in perspective.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

5,535 posts, read 2,977,355 times
I was 27. I had been trying for a year to get pregnant, I was finally pregnant--I was 11 weeks pregnant.
On my birthday I had a miscarriage.

Old Today, 08:19 AM

5,957 posts, read 4,949,131 times
I know this one is silly, compared to a loved one dying, but it hurt.

I had been married about 3 years to my ex. I was 25 or 26 at that time, and still a very romantic type. My birthday is 2 weeks after Valentine's day. On Valentine's day it became apparent that my ex hadn't bought me a gift or flowers or anything not even a card, even though I had made a fancy romantic dinner and had given him a really nice card. He got really serious and held my hands and told me that he was sorry he didn't have a Valentine's gift because he was saving the money for my planned birthday gift which he said was going to be something really special. We didn't have much money in those days, so I said I understood and was okay with it. 2 weeks later, my birthday comes, and after work I am expecting him to say we are going out to eat for my birthday. He doesn't say anything, so I make dinner, and am waiting for my special gift. After dinner he says nothing for several hours and then hands me a card in a lumpy envelope. I opened it and found a pair of $5 earrings from the drug store. He hadn't planned any gift at all and just stopped on the way home from work and grabbed the first thing he saw. What hurt wasn't the value of the gift, but the lie that he had planned a special gift and that he'd basically just blown off my birthday and Valentine's day because he was lazy and thoughtless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or