U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:56 AM

26,378 posts, read 33,376,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've been bothered for the past couple months with a back ache, more like a burning sensation, that makes walking very difficult. It runs in between my hips, started low in back but moved to just below waist level. Now I'm getting severe pain in my right hip. Sometimes hard to get out of bed. Sometimes hard to stand from sitting.

I can only guess my hip needs a replacement. My right knee was replaced in late 2014.

If you have gone through this or something similar, I'd appreciate reading what you have to say about it.
Thank you!
Well first - don’t guess at what’s wrong. Go see an orthopedic dr and get a medical diagnosis.

I had a THR 5 years ago. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The most important thing is to get the best surgeon you can find. The most experienced at this type of surgery. These are very very common now so it’s really pretty straightforward. If the doc tells you that this is what is needed - don’t put it off. The more muscle you let atrophy, the more difficult your recovery will be. I was back at work and the gym, 16 days after surgery. I used a walker for only 3 days, never used crutches, then used a cane until I was back to work. Never used the cane again. I was running again in 3 months.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 08-22-2019 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,263,634 times
I've had TWO replaced. You need to see a doctor.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:11 PM

1,811 posts, read 3,863,992 times
I had mine replaced in Nov. 2014 by a "supposedly" excellent ortho doc that did tons of successful ones in Charlotte, NC. He managed to damage 2 nerves. I couldn't do anything without my walker for over 6 months as my leg would just collapse on me. Had it happen 3 times, first one in the parking garage leaving the hospital then twice at home. Then the idiot had the nerve to totally avoid me each time I went back to try and find out what was going on. Finally spoke with another doc at the same practice and he was so upset with the first doc that he ordered all the tests I needed and insisted I see the first doc every time I went in and NOT the PA. They told me that the damage was not permanent....they lied. It is now almost 5 years later and I'm still in pain and unable to do a lot of things I did before, even when I was in pain. I have gotten most of my basic mobility back, but still walk with a cane when I am out. I can't walk for any length of time before being in major pain. I used to go visit my daughter and other friends but now I can't drive more than a few miles without pain and driving before the THR was never a problem, even after I was told I needed it.

I will never, ever have any type of replacement surgery done again. At the time I had a bad feeling about it but everyone pushed me into it because my "life would be so much better" and "don't you want to be able to do things with your grandchildren if you have any?" What a joke.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:24 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,335,620 times
I imagine bad experiences can happen anywhere. There are excellent doctors and then there are people who have no idea what they are doing.

My knee surgeon was highly recommended to me by a long-time friend who had knee surgery by him and liked him a lot. I thought he did a very fine job.

But I have heard "horror" stories from people who had terrible experiences with their surgeon/surgery.

Like everything else, we need to get information on the person who will perform the surgery. We can't go by what someone said...."you'll feel so much better, have the surgery" and then not know anything about the surgeon.

Not every surgeon is the same as another.

Also a good idea to know about the place the surgery is done. Some hospitals are better than others.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:18 PM

22,270 posts, read 16,942,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've been bothered for the past couple months with a back ache, more like a burning sensation, that makes walking very difficult. It runs in between my hips, started low in back but moved to just below waist level. Now I'm getting severe pain in my right hip. Sometimes hard to get out of bed. Sometimes hard to stand from sitting.

I can only guess my hip needs a replacement. My right knee was replaced in late 2014.

If you have gone through this or something similar, I'd appreciate reading what you have to say about it.
Thank you!
Have you had a doctor check it out? It could be something entirely different then needing a hip replacement. Perhaps a pinched nerve. A doctor should be able to tell with an examination what is causing the pain.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Have you had a doctor check it out? It could be something entirely different then needing a hip replacement. Perhaps a pinched nerve. A doctor should be able to tell with an examination what is causing the pain.

I will be seeing a doctor soon and with my symptoms I expect an x-ray and probably MRI. I've been through this type of pain with my knee (same side) and let me tell you it is excruciating.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:39 PM

7,651 posts, read 3,201,215 times
Yes. Had a THR about 20 years ago. No problems since. OP don't assume your problem is a bad hip joint. Get evaluated before settling in your mind what's wrong and what isn't. Hip joint problems don't always manifest the same way for everyone. Your knee replacement on that side re-distributed things...changed your gait. It could have created some other issue with a nerve, tendon, ligaments, not the actual joint itself.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:17 PM

6,925 posts, read 3,829,871 times
A friend’s husband had hip pain, thought it was arthritis and needed a replacement...it turned out to be prostate cancer. Getting an exam and early diagnosis is important if you have pain.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:10 AM

^^^^^^^ Some very good suggestions here, thank you.
FYI, I am a woman, so not prostate cancer.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:47 AM

4,097 posts, read 2,622,127 times
Dumb but honest question, can you drive a stick shift car with a hip replacement? I am starting to have pain in my right hip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or