U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:07 AM

6,171 posts, read 9,202,120 times

Advertisements

Have forgotten that I have 2 THRs that were done a year apart. First was a breeze. Up and walking in a week. Doc said he never saw such a complete recovery. The second one, he used a different implant and never has felt exactly right. But I have scoliosis too, muscles that tense, much arthritis, so I don't blame the doctor. In any case, I am much much better off now than before and had a great surgeon in Phoenix, who even has his own hospital. Now I wish I could get a total neck replacement. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 10:21 AM

26,378 posts, read 33,376,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Have forgotten that I have 2 THRs that were done a year apart. First was a breeze. Up and walking in a week. Doc said he never saw such a complete recovery. The second one, he used a different implant and never has felt exactly right. But I have scoliosis too, muscles that tense, much arthritis, so I don't blame the doctor. In any case, I am much much better off now than before and had a great surgeon in Phoenix, who even has his own hospital. Now I wish I could get a total neck replacement. LOL
Up and walking in a week? I was up and walking before I ever left the hospital. Within 24 hours. They make sure you can walk, and go up any steps ( as many as you have at home) before they release you. At least, that was my experience.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 AM

26,378 posts, read 33,376,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Dumb but honest question, can you drive a stick shift car with a hip replacement? I am starting to have pain in my right hip.
Why would a THR impact how you drive? You can do pretty much anything you could do before, only without pain. There are some limitations of course. Generally, heavy squats are not recommended. And leg presses should not go past 90 degrees. Other than that, nothing has changed in my workouts.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:37 AM

3,745 posts, read 1,646,111 times
Quote:
Dumb but honest question, can you drive a stick shift car with a hip replacement? I am starting to have pain in my right hip.
Yes. Just don't get in an accident or fall hard--it might pop out.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:42 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,335,620 times
I haven't been to the doctor yet but I suspect it is not a hip problem.

I think it could be a sciatica problem. I've had that before but it was many years ago.

I'm either getting used to it or it's lessening in intensity.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:29 PM

3,882 posts, read 995,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I had my left hip replaced a few years ago. Getting it replaced was a no brainer because of the pain. I couldn't even walk without severe pain. No amount of drugs helped.

As far as back pain, I have always had some back pain.

The ortho doctor said that my left leg was 1/4" shorter then my right leg and the stress put on my pelvis caused my back pain. He said he could fix it in the surgery. I got the new hip about 2 years ago.

It took about 6 months to completely recover from the surgery but I was walking fairly well within 2 months.

Now I have zero pain from my hip and my back.

If I had to do it over again, I would do it tomorrow.

One of the best decisions I have ever made.
I think a good question to ask for this thread, is:

"What was worse, the pain that made you get the surgery, or the post-op pain in recovery?"

Old 08-23-2019, 01:49 PM

7,651 posts, read 3,201,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think a good question to ask for this thread, is:

"What was worse, the pain that made you get the surgery, or the post-op pain in recovery?"
There was literally no post-op pain other than the incision for me anyway. Once that healed there was none at all. Of course that's just anecdotal. Take it for what it's worth.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Of course you can, once your doctor releases you from recovery restrictions. Depending on the procedure you had there are some temporary restrictions designed to protect the joint as it heals. I drove a stick before and still do. People with knee problems are more likely to have trouble with a stick.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:10 PM

5,160 posts, read 3,306,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've been bothered for the past couple months with a back ache, more like a burning sensation, that makes walking very difficult. It runs in between my hips, started low in back but moved to just below waist level. Now I'm getting severe pain in my right hip. Sometimes hard to get out of bed. Sometimes hard to stand from sitting.

I can only guess my hip needs a replacement. My right knee was replaced in late 2014.

If you have gone through this or something similar, I'd appreciate reading what you have to say about it.
Thank you!
When I was 10 or so, I jumped out of a very tall tree and landed straight up and down...Yeah, the hip hurt like crazy for a few hours. I was in the Scouts, 5 mile hikes were murder. Finally in 2017 I was cut. Best thing ever.

Now the drawback, once you have it done, in 3-9 years you have to do the other side. For me this also is questionable as my knee (On the same side as the hip) was also damaged as the ankle was, but I didn't have them looked at.....I'll just cross my fingers...

But in truth, after 5 months Doing personal physical therapy, the pain was 99% gone. The thing is, I too have some issues with standing after sitting. It's either the knee, the right hip or the left (Replaced hip) so the pain goes from one to another for some reason.....

Old 08-24-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Now the drawback, once you have it done, in 3-9 years you have to do the other side.
Not always the case! I happen to know at least 4 people who have had a THR on one side and have never needed the other side done. My left hip was replaced over 20 years ago. My right hip is fine. As always, this is anecdote. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or