U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 08:08 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,362,388 times

Advertisements

Age discrimination against older workers is vastly more prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:57 PM

549 posts, read 327,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barking pumpkins View Post
You'll get a kick out of this. Two teenagers had no idea how to use a rotary dial phone. This is hilarious. One kid even asks the other "Where's the reset button?"
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...a-rotary-phone
Why is it hilarious? That stuff is no more a part of their world than oil lamps and sticking a crank in a model "T" to start it were a part of my life. Why would they be expected to know it?

Old 08-22-2019, 09:37 PM

1,553 posts, read 992,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yeah, 'desperate' US firms who fired older workers and then farm their jobs overseas and/or import H1B visa workers.

Cheaper labor costs = higher profits = higher stock prices = happy investors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But not necessarily "happy customers". And that is when mgmt gets on the phone to retired workers asking them if they want to come back.
Businesses rarely care about happy customers until it affects profits, same as it ever was.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:18 PM

5,061 posts, read 3,539,397 times
This sure wasn't happening during the recession. Older workers were let go and no one wanted to hire them because, I think, of the high wage they had been making. It was a horrible time for a lot of us.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 4,657,123 times
While I agree older people are often good workers I don't agree that there is a huge demand for them. Maybe some companies want to hire them (mine sure does thankfully) but many discriminate against older applicants.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:34 AM

15,276 posts, read 8,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barking pumpkins View Post
You'll get a kick out of this. Two teenagers had no idea how to use a rotary dial phone. This is hilarious. One kid even asks the other "Where's the reset button?"
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...a-rotary-phone
C'mon - how silly is this? Can you start a crank car? Or know how to churn butter? Or spin yarn? And more importantly - do you NEED to?

At least concentrate on skills currently needed, not something like using rotary phones.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:58 AM

12,208 posts, read 5,307,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
While I agree older people are often good workers I don't agree that there is a huge demand for them. Maybe some companies want to hire them (mine sure does thankfully) but many discriminate against older applicants.
I tend to agree. I have no statistics but I'm willing to bet for every company out there that is desperate to retain an aging worker, there are at least 5 that would rather the aging worker leave and be replaced by a young person.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:16 AM

24,137 posts, read 17,971,050 times
We have a lot of people in their 50s and 60s with tons of institutional knowledge that you can't develop overnight. With that said, most places I've worked didn't hire many people in that age range.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:29 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,198,945 times
But what about all the bathroom breaks?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 AM

7,007 posts, read 3,892,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49075955

""I only work two days a week, and I wanted to do something after I retired and it was just a no-brainer to stay. It's not about the money. I enjoy the work," he says.

Mr Klug still turns out high precision parts at Alexandria, and also fills in on other jobs at the company when necessary. But a key role is to pass on his skills to a new generation of staff at the company. It's a trade-off that suits both sides. Mr Klug gets to stay active; Alexandria Industries gets valuable training for new workers."

"But it's not just the skills shortage that has extended the job prospects for ageing workers. Some employers seem to prefer them.

At Johnson & Sons, a florist in Saint Paul, Minnesota, Tom Johnson employs people ranging from ages 16 to 86.

He has nothing but praise for the older workers, even running job adverts targeted at the baby boomer generation. For a start, Mr Johnson says, older employees are more reliable.

"They don't have kids to take care of or hectic social lives," he says. And his elderly new recruits bring with them valuable experience from other fields."

I too work part time in retirement teaching skills to the young generation. I enjoy it immensely.

How about you?
I'm wondering if it's mainly new hires, since there is proof that older workers are targeted during layoffs. One reason is that they're paid more, since they've been w/the company longer than younger workers. But a new hire who is a senior may not care much about pay, or won't have competing job offers. So they can be had for cheap. I'm guessing the jobs don't provide health care, either, so it's a plus that seniors have Medicare.

When I was working, older workers were indeed targeted during the several layoffs I witnessed. As well as people who had been seriously ill (like cancer).

I also wonder if it's mainly in fields where it's hard to find younger workers who are skilled or who want to do that work in this time of low unemployment.

But if this is true, maybe I'll check the ads to see if I see any that are seeking baby boomers or something I could apply for. Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or