Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:03 AM

344 posts, read 416,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
When I was working, older workers were indeed targeted during the several layoffs
Where I worked for about 25 years when they had layoffs, and there might have been 3 or 4 in that time span, they usually kept those that had been around the longest. When a long serving, high paid employee was included it seemed, to me, that they were difficult to get along with and management used the needed layoffs to be rid of the more unpleasant. About 20 years in when I was at the department head level they had a layoff and one of my peers was included and she was same length of service and approximate pay, freaked me out. But she was extremely confrontational and difficult to deal with to the extent that HR had gotten her counseling to be less so. Her departure was generally seen as positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 10:15 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Where I worked for about 25 years when they had layoffs, and there might have been 3 or 4 in that time span, they usually kept those that had been around the longest. When a long serving, high paid employee was included it seemed, to me, that they were difficult to get along with and management used the needed layoffs to be rid of the more unpleasant. About 20 years in when I was at the department head level they had a layoff and one of my peers was included and she was same length of service and approximate pay, freaked me out. But she was extremely confrontational and difficult to deal with to the extent that HR had gotten her counseling to be less so. Her departure was generally seen as positive.

In general, when we laid off people in 2002 and 2009, they fell into three categories.

1) The underperformers - those who were not meeting their goals and who had been counseled several times on their attendance or performance.

2) The people who could not/ would not work together with people. They were the people who were difficult to deal with and could not work well with others.

3) The people who did not keep their skills up to date. For example, I had an accounting clerk who refused to learn MS Excel even though we were going to send her to the local community college for training at COMPANY cost. This also included certain machine operators who balked at learning to operate the 2010 era equipment that was rapidly replacing the 1960s era equipment. Yes, these tended to be older workers who wanted things to continue along in the same way that they did 30 years ago.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:44 AM

11,050 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barking pumpkins View Post
Age discrimination is almost purely a myth. As are gender and racial discrimination.
LOL. What are you barking about?

Everything's a "myth" until it's happened to you.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
I once was bill free and didn't care to do 12 hours a day on my feet. So, I put my resume out on Craigslist. Got an email that said "If you're serious, I'd like you to come to this address"

I drove in, got out, met the owner/Boss and he began describing the job and everything, I then said "Oh, so I'm hired?" He replied "The moment you stepped out of your van and I saw your hair (Gray) I knew you would fit"

I stayed about a year, he lost the main contract that kept me employed...I got laid off.

I was just starting to learn CNC programming...damn it...

Old 08-24-2019, 06:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49075955

""I only work two days a week, and I wanted to do something after I retired and it was just a no-brainer to stay. It's not about the money. I enjoy the work," he says.

Mr Klug still turns out high precision parts at Alexandria, and also fills in on other jobs at the company when necessary. But a key role is to pass on his skills to a new generation of staff at the company. It's a trade-off that suits both sides. Mr Klug gets to stay active; Alexandria Industries gets valuable training for new workers."

"But it's not just the skills shortage that has extended the job prospects for ageing workers. Some employers seem to prefer them.

At Johnson & Sons, a florist in Saint Paul, Minnesota, Tom Johnson employs people ranging from ages 16 to 86.

He has nothing but praise for the older workers, even running job adverts targeted at the baby boomer generation. For a start, Mr Johnson says, older employees are more reliable.

"They don't have kids to take care of or hectic social lives," he says. And his elderly new recruits bring with them valuable experience from other fields."

I too work part time in retirement teaching skills to the young generation. I enjoy it immensely.

How about you?
I think that heading is misleading
I think over 90% of companies hiring are not interested in taking older workers on
And I also think there are many companies that don’t want to keep older/mature workers because they don’t want them claiming any pension benefits they might be eligible for...

Old 08-25-2019, 03:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think over 90% of companies hiring are not interested in taking older workers on
And I also think there are many companies that don’t want to keep older/mature workers because they don’t want them claiming any pension benefits they might be eligible for...
My mega corp (Fortune 50) said...: "I don't want any gray hair in my Department, only millennials!" OK Glad I could help you out with that!

A coworker from India took to coloring-his-hair while trying to hang on for the green card (7 yrs waiting so far...). Hope it comes soon!

We were both 'Tooling' staff, so no-one has a clue. (including and most of all the boss)

Suppliers would ask. "Who is going to train these kids? We can not get them to understand manufacturing, they have no concept or interest."

Sorry Charlie...

We're GONE

Old 08-25-2019, 05:54 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
I will be doing Volunteer work in Retirement at The Henry Ford, but after 2-1/2 days of Orientation with others being hired as paid employees, and another 1-1/2 days required to complete a self-discovery handout of The Henry Ford before I can start Volunteering, I will keep an eye out for paid openings!

My current employer is a significant contributor to local charities and pays us to perform Community Service, so all the time I have spent to become a Volunteer has been compensated at my regular rate of pay.

I have never driven a Model T or a Horse Drawn Wagon or a Steam Locomotive but I can learn!

Old 08-25-2019, 08:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If you are vested, the company cannot refuse you collecting a pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement