U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:56 AM

93 posts, read 19,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barking pumpkins View Post
The only places I'd like to see are in Europe BUT I don't want to spend 12 hours on a plane AND with Google Maps Street view I can get 69% of the satisfaction of seeing Europe from my computers AND I can see places I'd never see if I was there for a week or two like back streets, different neighborhoods, stores, schools, farms, ghettos, wealthy neighborhoods, business districts, industrial districts, significant geography, etc.
I already live in Southern California so the world's people and their food and language and culture came to me.
This is one of the promises of VR (Virtual Reality) goggles. You have a more immersive experience than just watching scenery on your computer screen. We have VR goggles at work to see how they may assist with our education and training. The goggles and software are getting better/cheaper every year.

There is some reports that learning a language while wearing these goggles and being immersed in the "street views" of the language they are trying to learn help people retain what they learn. They also help seniors that can not travel due to health issue to "travel" abroad. This helps them feel less isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 09:11 AM

13,900 posts, read 6,640,636 times
My husband and I have been enjoying some shows on BBC America, and National Geographic, and Smithsonian channel, some places we wouldn’t want to go or can’t go easily without comfort. So when we can’t travel, that’s what we can watch. We no longer have PBS to watch Rick Steve’s for Europe.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:25 AM

201 posts, read 207,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We no longer have PBS to watch Rick Steve’s for Europe.
There is a Rick Steves Europe Youtube channel with what looks like full episodes. YouTube can be viewed on your television with minimal effort. Except for live tv I watch hours of content on YouTube on tv, many travel related of places I’d like to visit.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM

1,090 posts, read 839,241 times
I saw a brief news segment regarding Chernobyl becoming a tourist area.

No - no - and h*** no I would not go there.

However being lifelong horse addicted person that I am (I still have horses), and I was in a position to go somewhere for more than a day, I would go to the old Imus Ranch in New Mexico, and ride whatever parts of the 3,000 acres they would allow. It was recently bought and renovated by RFD-TV.

Annnnd, if I did want to travel out of the country (which I don't ), I would take a riding vacation on the Gobi Steppes -- on a Mongolian horse

Old 08-23-2019, 09:59 AM

11,166 posts, read 12,613,152 times
Mars.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,720,362 times
I would love to stay in the Ice Hotel even though I won’t even consider visiting relatives/friends during winter here in the States.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icehotel_(Jukkasjärvi)

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-23-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2019, 10:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 1,635,983 times
Iceland. Met a nice woman from there while on a cruise ship, and we've kept in touch. Seems like a fascinating place. But very expensive, so....

Now that we've seen Italy, I want to concentrate on Greece. I'd love to live on the Aegean, instead of the Pacific, but hey.

Whoever said Santorini, it is fantastic. But 3 days is plenty: it's tiny and crowded. But spectacular.

Here's a great place:
https://www.greektravel.com/greekisl...ldera-view.htm

Old 08-23-2019, 10:58 AM

201 posts, read 207,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I would love to stay in the Ice Hotel even though I won’t even consider visiting relatives/friends during winter here in the States.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icehotel_(Jukkasjärvi)
Pardon me boy (or girl) .....but your post reminded me of a hotel I always wanted to stay at, The Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel in TN. I have family in Atlanta so I need to put that on the list for the next time I’m in that part of the country.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:13 AM

344 posts, read 290,641 times
New Zealand.

Another hemisphere. I will travel west and cross the international dateline. I will continue to travel west and circumnavigate the world.

Wonderful mountains, beaches, cities. I'm fascinated by the Maori.

And most of all ORCAS!

Old 08-23-2019, 11:22 AM

17,588 posts, read 21,461,534 times
As far as Chernobyl, expect more of these accidents to happen in the future, and then you may not have to travel so far to see the results.

I made 7 trips to South America in the 2000's, but I missed seeing Colombia. But whether or not I get there is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or