U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

17,583 posts, read 21,461,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Invite the amateur artists who live there to produce some works and put them on display. You might be surprised how good some of them might be.
I'm sticking to my decision, abandon the ship!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

17,583 posts, read 21,461,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
My DW and I are probably too frugal - but with a lifetime of practice, we are probably not going to change that much. I get joy in finding a good deal even if don't need to.
Just so it's not taken to extremes. When my sister serves coffee, I don't think she puts more than a teaspoon of coffee grounds into the coffee maker. When me and a cousin were visiting one time, my cousin looked puzzled at the coffee cup, thinking it might be weak chicken bouillon. And I said: Just be thankful she didn't serve chicken soup, as neither of us brought a magnifying glass with us!

I once knew a penny-pinching senior man who went around the neighborhood collecting used coffee grounds, to be re-used in his coffee maker. And this man had no reason to do this! I had to pinch myself real hard, to keep myself from laughing, when his son came visiting, while he was in the hospital, he gained access to his bank account and blew $30,000 of it on the Las Vegas Strip.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,633,840 times
There are always extreme people, they are examples of borderline mental illness hiding under the tag of frugality.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,158,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
And I still state that there is no such thing as excess reserves.

Just today, coincidentally, I got hit with an expense of $1500 for my MIL air conditioner repairs, and also found out that she'll have a special condo assessment (which I'll have to pay) of between $2000 and $3000 due by the end of October for roof replacement. So the "excess reserves" can come in handy, I don't know how many more liabilities will be out there in the near future.

MIL believed that you should spend everything and enjoy your money, and when you are very elderly and broke the Government would take care of you. Well, she wasn't exactly right there.
Kinda the way my mother thinks, it would seem. The guv'mint or somebody (in her case she figures that's what children are for).

Your MIL is very lucky to have such a generous soul in you covering her expenses. I hope she appreciates it.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

2,561 posts, read 660,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The author of the link may also have a perspective that retirement wealth is unequally distributed and the haves are sitting on unused wealth and others are living day to day.
Yes, that's true. Bloomberg is a decidedly left-of-center publication that incorrectly sees unequal distribution of wealth as a bad thing. Obviously, it is a good thing.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

550 posts, read 327,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yes, that's true. Bloomberg is a decidedly left-of-center publication that incorrectly sees unequal distribution of wealth as a bad thing. Obviously, it is a good thing.
Nope. Like everything else it's good when it comes about for good reasons and bad when it came about from bad reasons. It is not a de facto good by it's existence

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

28,832 posts, read 62,892,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
...that incorrectly sees unequal distribution of wealth as a bad thing.
You have a quote from Mike to substantiate your absurdities?

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

204 posts, read 120,188 times
To say someone is more frugal than necessary flies in the face of logic because that assumption is based on someone else's opinion. We're a society that promotes "save, save, save", making judgments all along the way about those who don't, and then turn around and complain because people aren't spending the money they DID save in a way that fits into someone else's agenda. Like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I ran into a man walking his dog the other night. He told me he just spent $6000 on an operation for his dog, and $1000 to remove 5 teeth. And not even $5 for the art fund? Scraping by?
It's not about whether or not he's just scraping by, it's about how he chooses to spend his money. You can call him cheap, frugal, whatever, but the bottom line is when people are asked to donate money, regardless of the amount, large or small, they get to decide if they want to or not. I'm thinking if the guy spent $6000 on an operation for the dog good for him. If he had donated $5, $10, $500 every time he had been asked maybe he wouldn't have had the money for that operation. Priorities. Rich or poor, we all get to choose our own.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
The same issue apparently happens here in Australia, with many retirees never running down their capital...
MarisaMay, what is your tax burden in Australia like for retirees?

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
MrsK7 is huge on allowing me to take any trip I want especially those to areas of the world where she has no interest.
Allowing you? ALLOWING you?

SMH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement