U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 06:45 PM

185 posts, read 79,448 times

Advertisements

All I know is that I'll be working past 70 before I can think about retiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 01:38 AM

17,604 posts, read 21,475,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
They'd have to find another facility where the workers don't spend most of their shifts on their smartphones. And no matter how much they can afford to pay, it can be tough finding such a place.:
Working for 17 years in one of these facilities, it didn't seem to matter if they were Private Pay or Medicare/Medicaid, pretty much the same food, same services.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:36 AM

4,525 posts, read 2,698,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I had sort of a depressing weekend along these lines. The local newspaper publishes an Obituary Listing via email late each week. I normally never look at these but I did on Friday. Last week's listing contained approximately 12 deaths, 10 of whom were born in 1953 or later!

Then on Saturday night our widow neighbor across the street told my wife and I that she and three friends would be attending their 58th High School Reunion that evening. The four ladies were as giddy as school girls preparing for their first dance! That part was cute. Then I remembered that my HS Reunion would have been our 45th. Which means the lady across the street who uses a walker due to back surgeries, and for whom I clear her driveway after every snowfall, and mow her yard during the Summer if her son is working out of town that week, is only 13 years older than me. And I haven't retired yet!

There seems to be no justice in old age. By the time your finances are in order for the possibility you will need to self-fund for 30 years, your health has deteriorated so that you are unable to enjoy the events you planned and saved for. But if you spend too much too soon, you will never be able to retire.
Kudos to you for doing that for the neighbor!! I wish somone was that kind for me/us.
If youve read my posts you know I have a bad bad back and bad hips and knees. My OH has Pagets bone disease. Even on horrendous snow falls ( describedcas a Nor'easter dropping 35" in anout 18 hours!) Getting someone to help is a chore. Young people arent as enterprising or they are afraid we are all sex offenders!!

My 40th is 2021. I went only to the 10th, and all the cliques met up and the a$$h*les in hs were still that. Even 'our clique' fir thise there stuck together. Never went to another one. I ducked out of the 25th, citing recent surgery. Probably wont go again even though i live 2 towns away.

I was medically retired at age 40. 21 surgeries and several surgical procedures later i work off and on part time. I still go every 6 mos for surgcal procedures for bad, hip and knee pain that would put most people in bed for weeks.

I look forward to FRA, then i can stsy retired (i think, ).

Muly oh is 60, and counting the days/mos/,yrs to retirement!!! 6 yrs 10 mos, though maybe at agec65 when Medicare kicks in, my OH can retire.

Well see

Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 AM

1,058 posts, read 805,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Working for 17 years in one of these facilities, it didn't seem to matter if they were Private Pay or Medicare/Medicaid, pretty much the same food, same services.
One of my former coworkers was fond of pointing out that the woman in the next bed on Medicaid was getting the exact same care as my mother who is paying full price with her own money.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:17 AM

2,453 posts, read 864,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
One of my former coworkers was fond of pointing out that the woman in the next bed on Medicaid was getting the exact same care as my mother who is paying full price with her own money.
We're talking about 2 different issues.

Typically Medicaid patients do not get any different treatment in the facility. I say "typically" because my Uncle went into one after his Alzheimer's got bad and, while he and my Aunt had enough resources for self-pay for a couple of years, it would be Medicaid after that. They put him in a "Medicaid bed" immediately- basically a semi-private room with a curtain down the middle. The excuse was that when he DID need Medicaid they might not have a Medicaid bed available. (He died a year or so later so was always self-pay.)

The difference I'm talking about is choice of facility. If you need Medicaid from Day One there may not be a nearby facility that will take you. If you don't like the one you're in and have no money, you don't get to pick up and leave. You're also left out of interim choices such as Independent Living and Assisted Living. Dad is in an Independent Living facility, has his own living unit including a kitchen, 3 meals a day in the dining room, Happy Hour on Fridays, Wi-Fi, craft rooms, transports to the doctor and other errands- all included in the cost. They don't take Medicaid, of course- it's not the kind of care Medicaid pays for.

When I get to the point that I can't live on my own, don't want to deal with home maintenance, etc. that's where I want to be- not sitting in my house as it falls apart around me and expecting DS and DDIL (who live 3 hours away) to come running when I need help.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:53 AM

5,988 posts, read 4,969,771 times
When my mom needed NH care, she was on Medicare and Medicaid. Trying to find a NH that would take her was next to impossible. The acute care hospital gave us 48 hours to find her a place to go before her discharge. Several NH said they accepted patients with that form of payment, but when we toured them and they found out she was an amputee on a feeding tube, they immediately said they wouldn't take her. Too much care for too little money was the reason, and yes they actually told me that. The only one that would accept her was the worst of the lot. The care there was awful! We were there for hours everyday and we had to track down people to take care of her needs on a daily basis. Personal property was stolen from her room. The staff kept unplugging her air bed to give her a breathing treatment and then not plugging it back in, leaving her airbed (needed for the pressure sores she developed due to their lack of care) deflated so she was basically resting on the metal springs of the bed. We paid out of pocket for the airbed rental because it wasn't covered by M/M. We b*tched 3 different times to the head nurse until she got a janitor to bring us a power strip. Apparently the logic of that escaped them. The place smelled of urine all the time. The aides didn't speak enough English to understand the doctor's orders. It was the worst. None of us had the money to pay for her to be in a private pay situation. The only plus, if you can call it that, was that she only had to endure 3 months there before passing away.

I will do almost anything to avoid ending up that way. I know several ways to make my final exit, and will do that if I have to. In the meantime, I have LTC insurance and with my pension/SS should be able to cobble together enough for a better quality private pay place. This is why many people don't spend their retirement dough.

Last edited by TheShadow; 08-27-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-27-2019, 07:06 AM

2,453 posts, read 864,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I will do almost anything to avoid ending up that way. I know several ways to make my final exit, and will do that if I have to. In the meantime, I have LTC insurance and with my pension/SS should be able to cobble together enough for a better quality private pay place. This is why many people don't spend the dough.
Thank you. This is exactly the nightmare scenario that scares me into making sure I can fund my own LTC. Even if I were semi-comatose or had dementia. I would not want DS and DDIL to see me neglected and to wrestle with whether or not they should pay for better care (which I wouldn't want them to do) or feel guilty because they can't.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:04 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,500,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
thank you. This is exactly the nightmare scenario that scares me into making sure i can fund my own ltc. Even if i were semi-comatose or had dementia. I would not want ds and ddil to see me neglected and to wrestle with whether or not they should pay for better care (which i wouldn't want them to do) or feel guilty because they can't.
ddil?

Old 08-27-2019, 09:23 AM

13,919 posts, read 6,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
ddil?
Delta Dental of Illinois or Drugs & Devices Information line.

I thought you said your previous coworkers were not so bright?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:25 AM

17,604 posts, read 21,475,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
When my mom needed NH care, she was on Medicare and Medicaid. Trying to find a NH that would take her was next to impossible. The acute care hospital gave us 48 hours to find her a place to go before her discharge. Several NH said they accepted patients with that form of payment, but when we toured them and they found out she was an amputee on a feeding tube, they immediately said they wouldn't take her. Too much care for too little money was the reason, and yes they actually told me that. The only one that would accept her was the worst of the lot. The care there was awful! We were there for hours everyday and we had to track down people to take care of her needs on a daily basis. Personal property was stolen from her room. The staff kept unplugging her air bed to give her a breathing treatment and then not plugging it back in, leaving her airbed (needed for the pressure sores she developed due to their lack of care) deflated so she was basically resting on the metal springs of the bed. We paid out of pocket for the airbed rental because it wasn't covered by M/M. We b*tched 3 different times to the head nurse until she got a janitor to bring us a power strip. Apparently the logic of that escaped them. The place smelled of urine all the time. The aides didn't speak enough English to understand the doctor's orders. It was the worst. None of us had the money to pay for her to be in a private pay situation. The only plus, if you can call it that, was that she only had to endure 3 months there before passing away.

I will do almost anything to avoid ending up that way. I know several ways to make my final exit, and will do that if I have to. In the meantime, I have LTC insurance and with my pension/SS should be able to cobble together enough for a better quality private pay place. This is why many people don't spend their retirement dough.
What's really at issue here? One: Administrators for these facilities (corporations often owns several to the hundreds) get a bonus for saving the corporation money. That's needs to go! And the aides and nurses get no bonus at all, even when they work short-handed. And since these facilities are largely funded by Medicare and Medicaid, the government, then why doesn't the government buy/own these facilities?

Two: Put yourself into the shoes of an owner of one of these hotbeds-of-litigation facilities, where patients can view daily ads of Lawyers advertising: If you feel like you've been abused in a nursing home, please call!
What kind of patients would be the easiest on the staff, and family members that would be easier on the staff? Would you want a 400-500 pounder who requires an extra-wide bed, extra-wide wheelchair, and if they fall out of bed, have fun getting him/her back in! Our facility wouldn't allow us to call the Fire Dept. anymore, when this happened (costs too much) and somehow, some way, we succeeded. Yes, without a Hoyer Lift as the Hoyer Lift has a maximum weight of 400 pounds.

And if this patient has a history of Falls, a Fall risk, would you accept this patient?

Family members don't realize that if you pester the staff enough, their punishment is, after the patient goes to the hospital, and you want that patient to return to that facility, what may you hear? Sorry, we have no empty beds! I've seen that happen way too frequently. By law, a facility is forced to accept the patient back if patient is gone 24 hours or less. I saw one problematic patient, who developed quite a history of being a POA, that no facility in Las Vegas would accept her, and she was finally shipped off to St. George, UT, where a facility accepted her.

If I ended up in one of these facilities, I'd ring that call light, day and night, until they gave me the medication that would keep me konked out a good part of the day. Wet my pants? How would I know!!! Breakfast? Did I eat breakfast or didn't I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement