U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

4,553 posts, read 2,705,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
After reading Deathwatch For The Amazon, in a National Geographic Magazine, realizing all too well the planet is dying a very rapid pace, I'm surprised more people aren't thinking: Do I really want to be alive in 10-20 years to see the death of the planet? And, booking a round the world cruise, even if they've done it already. And, add to that, the effect of the lowering of the fertility rate around the world!
Yes, we definitely think about where the world is going. I find it very troubling but totally helpless to do anything about it. We recently rewrote our wills and directed a good chunk of our money to go to some causes which I hope will help but I doubt it will have much effect in all honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

1,231 posts, read 689,541 times
We don’t want to buy any more “stuff” - we’re trying to reduce the clutter and excess right now and we were never wild spenders. The house and cars are paid off and no other debt which is just the way we like it.

We do not want a beach condo or boat - been there, done that. Too much expense and headaches for us at this point and leasing is easier.

The only major expenses we indulge in are travel and home maintenance. Replacing a roof or HVAC with quality products is very expensive. We also have remodeled bathrooms and updated the kitchen for our own enjoyment. And, quite frankly, we have already traveled quite a bit throughout our lives and the hassles are beginning to outweigh the thrill.

LTC is big fear for retirees. We have LTC insurance but we know at least 4 people now paying $8-9k a month, with two of those paying for years. Some of their spouses are panicked as they will be left with very little for their own care.

Dental costs are ridiculous and who knows about Medicare costs in the future. I wonder if Social Security will hit with higher taxes and/or changes in COLA adjustments or more means testing.

We prefer to keep our “pot” pretty much intact and not be worried, particularly since excess material goods are meaningless to us. We do hope to have our “kids” receive a nice inheritance as I certainly appreciated mine.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

5,964 posts, read 4,958,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The author of the link may also have a perspective that retirement wealth is unequally distributed and the haves are sitting on unused wealth and others are living day to day.
And he would probably be right.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

1,968 posts, read 636,626 times
My wife and I donít spend much because we donít want to or need to. Weíre retired, we bought our toys we might want before we retired, weíve already traveled to our satisfaction, we just donít have any need to be spending much money. I think there a probably a lot of others like us.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

438 posts, read 973,396 times
I think I fit into this - It's just me, and I have to think how this situation as it stands for now, prudently meshes with my finances. I have always been very frugal/very self-suficient, with little needs or wants that can't be taken care of by little money. I have zero debt, great credit score, and don't worry about money per se, or where my next meal will come from. Everything I own could fit in an 8x5 room, and what I want for in this life no amount of $$$ could buy... I do however have concerns about control.

I can choose to eat inexpensive healthful food, choose inexpensive but rewarding activities such as fishing, walks, exercise, volunteer, own good reliable inexpensive transportation, but anything related to health and healthcare is what keeps me tight on the reins of my finances... I can't say to my insurance (crappy ACA): "Um, I'll take the discount doctor option", or have much control at all for the outrageous cost of anything related, i.e. long-term care if needed, along with other situations that could drain your finances in a hurry.

It's frustrating to me how well you can live on so little with regard to purchasing items, and having a mindset of abundance where so many others see this as weird, 'missing out', suffering, what good is money not spent and irresponsible debt making everything so damn expensive for others. Reminds me of when I went to university - Two guys to a 10x12 room, 6 communal toilets and showers, NO AC (hot as Hades where I was), you ate in the cafeteria, gravel parking lots, etc... Now it literally is like Club Med for a lot of students, that MUST have 'amenities' (God I hate that word and what it evokes). I know some will say what I mention is not the real reason for the tremendous increase in tuition, just the same if not, IMO it makes for people not properly adjusted to make the most of their life... My God, when I graduated I went straight into the Army as a 2LT Infantry Officer, and how me and my men lived on a daily basis, would have caused rioting in places.

Yeah, old man rant, or observations of how truly 'soft' the nation has become? I do not of course wish for true suffering, or hardship on anyone, but simply as the ability to live a good life as I see it, I feel the nation is off-track in countless ways.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

17,582 posts, read 21,456,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
My wife and I don’t spend much because we don’t want to or need to. We’re retired, we bought our toys we might want before we retired, we’ve already traveled to our satisfaction, we just don’t have any need to be spending much money. I think there a probably a lot of others like us.
I always had this fear for years I was going to die young, and each foreign trip I made, I figured that would be the end, I'd die before doing another one. @69YO now, having done all by foreign travels and domestic travels, the downside of all this, is, when I get the itch to go somewhere, I all but draw a blank, where to? And I really don't like going back to places I've been to, no matter how much I enjoyed it. I want new territory every time.

I can be frugal as all get out with certain things (like going to restaurants), but my greatest enjoyment today is tending to my plants, replacing them, watching them grow from babies. I even talk to my plants.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

707 posts, read 215,303 times
What does the OP want retirees to do with their money? Many want to downsize and get rid of many of the possessions they have accumulated over the years and the junk. They really dont need a new car every year, or new furniture, or new THINGS! Wow, imagine that, not wanting more STUFF. So the money sits. So what? Its there for emergencies. Its there to spend on kids, grandkids, pets, travel, or just a new rocking chair. OR, not spend at all. Novel thought!

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

30,019 posts, read 35,122,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
What does the OP want retirees to do with their money? Many want to downsize and get rid of many of the possessions they have accumulated over the years and the junk. They really dont need a new car every year, or new furniture, or new THINGS! Wow, imagine that, not wanting more STUFF. So the money sits. So what? Its there for emergencies. Its there to spend on kids, grandkids, pets, travel, or just a new rocking chair. OR, not spend at all. Novel thought!
I donít really give a rats 🐀 what folks do with their money. I read what I thought was a good article and posted it for others to read and discuss if interested. Until now I have avoided my personal view in this thread. I have previously been pretty clear that we are in the accumulation camp of retirees.
There are a number of related topics to this discussion and I think it has so far been a good one.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

14,355 posts, read 24,179,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
It's frustrating to me how well you can live on so little with regard to purchasing items, and having a mindset of abundance where so many others see this as weird, 'missing out', suffering, what good is money not spent and irresponsible debt making everything so damn expensive for others. Reminds me of when I went to university - Two guys to a 10x12 room, 6 communal toilets and showers, NO AC (hot as Hades where I was), you ate in the cafeteria, gravel parking lots, etc... Now it literally is like Club Med for a lot of students, that MUST have 'amenities' (God I hate that word and what it evokes). I know some will say what I mention is not the real reason for the tremendous increase in tuition, just the same if not, IMO it makes for people not properly adjusted to make the most of their life... My God, when I graduated I went straight into the Army as a 2LT Infantry Officer, and how me and my men lived on a daily basis, would have caused rioting in places.

Yeah, old man rant, or observations of how truly 'soft' the nation has become? I do not of course wish for true suffering, or hardship on anyone, but simply as the ability to live a good life as I see it, I feel the nation is off-track in countless ways.

I have to agree with you there. I was working with a student who was relocating locally to attend medical school. He asked me to help him find an affordable apartment and I showed him a few places under $600 a month that were within 10 minutes of both the places that he will be working. He ended up in a $1250 apartment 20+ minutes from one of the places. And they wonder how they graduate with so much debt.

I always tried to bring a few cans of soup to school in case I got hungry between the cafeteria meals.

==============================

As for donating to a sculpture park, forget about it.

The Tucson area is filled with people living below the poverty line who need food, basic medical, and the like. When those needs are fully met, and only then, will I even consider something so trivial.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

574 posts, read 117,006 times
It's an interesting problem, although I should look through all the posts.

Truth is, your last dollar from savings is worth beaucoup more than you first spent dollar.

My plan is to buy a hemicuda convertible and live in a trailer by the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement