U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 01:39 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,187,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I went to the SS office in my city when I applied. The lady asked me questions, I answered. I didn't bring one piece of paper with me, the lady just took the names of my doctors and she did all the work. She also made an appointment with a shrink for me. Maybe it was a psychologist, I forget. He had a few tests for my memory and I failed, so he approved me. The lady approved me, called me and six weeks later I got 6 checks. I was very fortunate.
Did you go snow skiing afterwards?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 02:19 PM

6,630 posts, read 5,283,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Thankfully for you then, the OP will create a new handle after this embarrassment, and you can feel good all over again for helping someone get on SSDI (regardless if it's fraudulent or not). Here's a gold star for you!
what do you mean feel good all over again? I feel good or great all the time. It never stops -

Old 08-29-2019, 06:39 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,582,441 times
Wow Robert, you certainly have a vendetta against people on SSDI. You must have been turned down is the only thing I can think of.

I wasn't on that long before I was eligible for social security for retirement. But the judge I went before actually shook his head in disgust over what I had gone through just to receive SSDI. He actually said he hoped I was suing the insurance companies.

I did, after finally getting angry at the way they were treating the case. Thank heavens I did because the doctor and hospital bills were extreme.

If a person is no longer able to work or live comfortably, why should they be forced to? I didn't see where the op mentioned the disability, but it doesn't matter.

When quality of life is zilch and it hurts to work, who are you to downgrade that person's reality?

Old 08-29-2019, 09:28 PM

6,560 posts, read 4,289,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Wow Robert, you certainly have a vendetta against people on SSDI. You must have been turned down is the only thing I can think of.

I wasn't on that long before I was eligible for social security for retirement. But the judge I went before actually shook his head in disgust over what I had gone through just to receive SSDI. He actually said he hoped I was suing the insurance companies.

I did, after finally getting angry at the way they were treating the case. Thank heavens I did because the doctor and hospital bills were extreme.

If a person is no longer able to work or live comfortably, why should they be forced to? I didn't see where the op mentioned the disability, but it doesn't matter.

When quality of life is zilch and it hurts to work, who are you to downgrade that person's reality?
I believe at best it might be a vendetta against fraud in the case of the OP. She indicated that she had been disabled since 2016, and Robert found a post where she was looking for a place close to a ski mountain made in July 2017. Hence the question for the other poster, in jest, if they went skiing after going on SSDI.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:24 AM

6,630 posts, read 5,283,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I believe at best it might be a vendetta against fraud in the case of the OP. She indicated that she had been disabled since 2016, and Robert found a post where she was looking for a place close to a ski mountain made in July 2017. Hence the question for the other poster, in jest, if they went skiing after going on SSDI.
she is moving there with her husband - maybe he is the one that skis? She might just watch.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:09 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,187,864 times
Quote:
I have a vendetta against people that fraudulently apply for SSDI as any American with an ounce of sense would. I work full-time and will receive a federal pension in 4 years with 30 years of federal service, so there is no need for disability for me. Your "thinking" missed the mark by a large margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Someone gets me, thanks.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,086,797 times
SSD is not just for people with mobility impairments. There are other types of injuries or conditions, invisible perhaps to the uneducated general public, that are reasons someone cannot work.
And in this case, I would first think it was the husband who wanted to go skiing. Getting awarded disability is a pretty grueling, long process. I really doubt that the majority of people on disability faked all that is required to get it, and got by with it. Coming up with one case example, like the welfare queen story some years back, is not sufficient evidence that all or most of those on disability are faking it.
Anyone who is NOT suffering from a disabling condition that makes it impossible for them to work is extremely lucky.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:26 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,582,441 times
I would much rather have had my health, a good back and a job to go to than the check, which was a third of my old salary.

My disability issue wasn't that evident at first, although I did use a cane. As time went on, it became more evident that I could not walk well. At first, if I just stopped walking for a bit, I could go on. Now if it's anything but just in my apartment I have to use my walker.

Some disabilities aren't visible.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:00 PM

4,584 posts, read 2,743,669 times
Quote:
I would much rather have had my health, a good back and a job to go to than the check, which was a third of my old salary.

My disability issue wasn't that evident at first, although I did use a cane. As time went on, it became more evident that I could not walk well. At first, if I just stopped walking for a bit, I could go on. Now if it's anything but just in my apartment I have to use my walker.

Some disabilities aren't visible.
Meo, i have a bad back, hips and knees. I have used a cane for stability for a decade.

I was approved ( wirh an 8 1/2" thick medical records log) at age 40.

I have physical and mental health issues. The mental you cannot see. Unless i have a meltdown.

The physical, with the cane is a little more obvious.

Too mamy people take disabled people for granted. When i go to the credit union, there are 4 handicap spaces, and it irks me that so many will park there "just for a minute " or " I'm just running in and out" or " just for a moment". DOESNT MATTER. a healthy person is DENYING a handicapped or disabled person a parking spave close to the door. I EARNED my handicapped plates and hangtag THE HARD WAY.

No, you cannot "see" my chronic continuous pain, for my back (degenerative disc disease)which in order to manage I: 1) have prescription morphine, 2) have prescription codeine for back up, 3) go for nerve block injections, 4) go for Radio frequency ablation injections and 5) physical therapy. 3&4 literally mean I get stabbed in the back! ( I always joke its the ONLY time I "like" to be stabbed in the back.)

My bad hips (avascular necrosis [necrosis means dead or dying]) for which my femurs are dying and eventually i will need hip replacements (IF theres enough good bone to work with ) ... that will be either at least surgeries 22 and 23 or 24 and 25, depending if my spine is fused first or not.

My knees are bad, the cartilage is wearing out abd degenerating. Part aging, and part disease. I will need surgeries 25 and 26 to replace them.

Now since the self-righteous poster above ( even if she is a fraud) is so against such things, I'd like to point out 2 things.:

1) thanks to Bush, jr, a person who collects SSDI CAN work with a limit on how much, because SSDI is so little, and it , as he put it, " lets them still be productive members of society", and off and on in recent years I have worked. I have a job interview tomorrow for a minimum wage hitel front desk job tomorrow, less wear and tear on my aching painful joints.

2) a 32 yo manager of the old hotel I worked at was a vet, a navy seal, healthy as can be. Our home depot store here actually has parking reserves for vets that is ONE SPACE CLOSER to the store than the handicapped spaces. One day I pulled in and had to park 2 handicapped spots further away than the vet space. He whipped into the space, fairly bounded out of his BMW and hopped, skipped and jumped into the store ( well not EXACTLY, but you get the idea) i hobbled in at a much slower pace of course.
Now, some vets ARE older, elderly and disabled, he was NOT, AND IF they ARE, they will have handicapped plates and hangtags of their own, NOT needing a "special parking spot" for them ( it also irks me that vets get sone pretty good perks now, and the Air Force would NOT take me due to another ailment..asthma, or I, too, would be a vet, no special privilege for those who volunteered but weren't allowed to serve)

I EARNED MY SSDI the HARD way...by being disabled, and in chronic pain, that even all tye above dies NIT "CURE" or totally alleviate , but sinply makes it more bearable. By tye time I do get out of work, i can hardly walk, let alone hop, skip, and jump ti my car ti go home.

Just because the OP wanted to be close to skiing, DOES NOT mean the OP was actually skiing, OR that her disability prevents OP from skiing. Heck, if I dared to I could ski, might be a heck of a lot easier than WALKING or CLIMBING mt. Everest!!!! I just dont trust myself to go whipping down a hill at 65 mph on two waxed boards!!!
Then, I'm sure I would need the "bunny slope"!!!

Yes. Fraud IS a problem, try saving your anger fir tye people, who in a town where the only factory or major employer closes down, and sheister doctors and lawyers put all the employees on SSDI as disabled to give them a permanent income since no jobs exist there!!! THAT, AND THOSE PEOPLE are whom we should be concerned about.

Best to you meo, and to all the other disabled people!

Old 09-02-2019, 01:11 PM

411 posts, read 483,032 times
I had a disability lawyer file for my SSDI. He took care of getting all my medical records and monitored the whole process. I was denied the first time, of course, so he filed the appeal immediately. I had a call from someone from SS asking me questions about my disability a couple weeks after that and was approved. Seven months from application to approval.

For those interested, I had a hip replacement by a quack MD I was told was the best in his field. It dislocated repeatedly and had to be redone 8 days later. I had a stroke at the second surgery. I was only supposed to be out of work 2 weeks per the quack. I would much rather have my health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement