U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:22 AM

4,147 posts, read 1,603,246 times

Advertisements

Sold the second car in 2014 at age 68, but did keep the Harley until 2017. Now just the one car. It has almost never been a problem.

(The only time it was a problem was when I was buying gas, about 3 miles from home, and I had left the keys in the ignition and my fur kid in the car. He was jumping around and locked the doors while I was pumping gas. Uh oh. Wife was at home, but couldn't ride the Harley. No AAA, etc, around. Finally, one of the employees offered to take me home to get the spare keys, since I was blocking their pumps. Lesson learned.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:30 AM

1,970 posts, read 636,626 times
We have 3 cars, two practical cars and one hot rod/hobby car. All are paid off. We’re both 71 and will probably sell the fun car within the next few years.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

670 posts, read 354,498 times
Both Retired mid 50's. We used to have 2 cars, but after 3 years our Jeep only had 4000 miles on it. So we sold it and now just have one. We live on an Island, so I have a Medium sized scooter for pottering around the island and going to the beach. We use the car when we go to the mainland.

Old Today, 07:28 AM

10,183 posts, read 12,489,943 times
At 71 we are down to one car back home.

Still working I spend half my time in South Georgia/Northern Florida where I have a company car by fly back and forth to Central Ohio spending two weeks and three weekends in Ohio before returning to Georgia where I spend two weeks and one weekend.

I fly back and forth so we have one car when I am home and it's not a problem because 90% of the time we are together anyway.

My wife doesn't like to drive outside the area she is familiar with so she Uber's a bit when I am not home.

We will be a one car family as two cars will be a waste of money.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,856,893 times
We kept one car for years when we were Snowbirds, moved very rural and keep two 4x4 vehicles, if one is out, the other may have to leave in an emergency, in an urban/suburban setting, I would go back to one vehicle.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

3,715 posts, read 1,632,612 times
Got rid of both cars when we retired to So. America and don't miss it a bit. Buses every 20 min. or taxis.

But we usually go with our friends who have cars. Saves a ton of money. I would not want to drive here: maniacal drivers, LOL.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

6,447 posts, read 4,853,476 times
I cannot imagine why the number of cars others have is of interest to you. It is your lifestyle and your needs that should make the difference.

Old Today, 09:55 AM

30,429 posts, read 47,702,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I cannot imagine why the number of cars others have is of interest to you. It is your lifestyle and your needs that should make the difference.
Grasshopper—
It is wise to learn from others’ experiences...

Old Today, 10:13 AM

41,143 posts, read 3,136,121 times
2 cars when we both worked. Once DH retires, we got rid of his work truck, there was no point in paying the insurance & registration. We go together everywhere anyhow, & If I need it to go out alone, I have it, & vice versa. uIt works well for us. Of course I am frugal by nature, so I would not feel comfortable paying for a vehicle to sit there, we do sometimes take taxis to dinner ( if we both want an alcoholic drink).

Old Today, 10:14 AM

6,447 posts, read 4,853,476 times
We have two cars and a truck. What did you learn that would help your decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or