U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

32,333 posts, read 20,384,851 times

Advertisements

Well, I learned not to leave my keys and dog in the car while pumping gas.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

661 posts, read 194,311 times
We are 60 and 65 and have 2 cars. I couldn’t drive at night and last year had them removed. It was painless. If one car dies we would probably go down to one car.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

7,259 posts, read 7,084,241 times
We had two cars until a teenager ran a red light and totaled our Nissan. We decided to try to make do with one car. It has mostly been okay. What has happened is that I have realized that I often went shopping or ran errands when DH was out with his car. I seem to want to go places when he is gone. Now, with only one car, that is not possible. It is not practical to use Uber to go from store to store down the road.

We now have to keep each other schedules, since each would need the car if appointments overlap. I kind of resent having to tell him what I am doing all the time.

If you don’t mind the expense of two cars, I would say keep two. I didn’t shop a whole lot when he was out, but I miss the opportunity to do so.

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

When I put an appt. on my calendar I add DH, so the appt automatically gets added to his calendar. It helps keep us organized.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

7,259 posts, read 7,084,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When I put an appt. on my calendar I add DH, so the appt automatically gets added to his calendar. It helps keep us organized.
I agree, but I like a little more leeway to do what I want!

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I agree, but I like a little more leeway to do what I want!
And it's a very good point. For the most part (like 90%) we run all the errands together, but I can see where others would prefer to do some of that alone, which I'm sure helps the OP with the decision on whether or not to keep two cars.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

5,978 posts, read 4,961,675 times
We have two cars (one new, one 18 years old but in great shape), a vintage El Camino, 2 street bikes (a Shadow and a Harley), and 2 Honda 110s. We are going to sell the El Camino within a year, as well as the older car, and use the money to buy a late model pick-up. We'll probably sell the street bikes within 5 years or so (I'm 60, DH is 65). I don't see us going to one car for many years, and we'll keep the Honda 110's as they are fun when camping.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,751,981 times
I decided early on I would rather pay our savings accounts than pay for insurance/repairs/maintenance for an extra vehicle that wouldn't get used that much. We retired at 61 and 62 and have had one car since. So far, no issues since we can juggle schedules or rent a vehicle for solo road trips if/when that comes up. Uber, taxis etc if needed.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

2,570 posts, read 665,644 times
We currently have 3 good vehicles (one of which is a beater SUV, which we keep in our vacation house). I'm looking at adding another 1 this year while keeping the rest. I also have a project car I'm restoring (a classic Jaguar).

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

30,429 posts, read 47,712,227 times
That most people know how to analyze what works for them and make a correct decision—
Ergo there are few regrets
But they have referred to the other spouse being impacted
My thought is that my husband will be reluctant to do what he might want to do if I don’t have a car
He is a very considerate person—
Maybe you don’t get that having one car puts burden on person who is main driver

It isn’t even about the financial aspect
Most people would think we have more than we need...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or