U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

14,142 posts, read 20,620,884 times

Advertisements

We went to one at ages 60/51. That was 11 years ago.
We live in a house with a WalkScore of 90.
Uber rides cost about $12. Each way. Way cheaper than having another car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,400,320 times
I believe we could get by with only one car, but the idea of this makes me anxious. For me, itís similar to not having a well-funded checking account. We have a daily driver in the driveway that we both use. The idea was to sell it, but itís a 20-year-old Mercedes with little value and is perfect inside and out, the best car I ever owned for 20 years.

In 2013, I bought a new Fusion to replace the MB, since that did not happen itís only used for vacation driving. I now have about 40K miles and has been out of the garage maybe 6 to 8 weeks annually. This car still smells new and I average 32 mpg on the road.

At the end of 2016, she asks me to get her a new Mercedes. Since it was the end of the model year, I shopped around and found a new one with all the options I wanted available in central California. So I bought the car and we flew to California for delivery and vacation. What I did not tell her was that the car has over 500 hp and over 500 lb-ft torque. She is afraid to drive it and itís now my weekend car. It has just over 6K miles. Iím 79 and she is 76.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 5,191,619 times
I don't know if we could do that

I can kick myself because i didn't buy my friend's small truck to keep as a spare.

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

4,576 posts, read 2,709,138 times
DW won't share a car with me so no way could we live with 1 car. Right now we have 3 cars, 1 for each of us plus our beater truck for all of our landscaping projects. But we live in the country so no public transportation.

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

1,303 posts, read 581,900 times
DH and I are both in our late-thirties, and we only have one vehicle. Our places of employment border each other. Our children can walk to their K-8 schools. It all depends on what your individual situations are!

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

971 posts, read 517,642 times
65 and we only have/need one in the Chicago area. We work out our schedules accordingly and we've never had a issue. Now, we only put on about 3500 miles a year and all associated costs have dropped, love it!

If I go on a weekend or week long fishing trip I'll rent a vehicle, to try out the latest and greatest, which is still cheaper than owning.

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

18,890 posts, read 4,987,378 times
At 72 we have a 2007 Chevy HHR (like the PT Cruiser). I usually drive, it's easier for my husband to get in and out, easier to unload groceries than other vehicles we have had. I love the 40's style...

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

1,811 posts, read 3,861,619 times
Although due to special circumstances we still have 2, however our neighbors across the street and another one 2 houses down only have 1 car. The second couple has a golf cart and she uses that to get around in the community. We live in a 55+ and there are a lot who live here and only have 1 car.

My DH still works 1 week a quarter in PA, so I need one when he is there. Plus he volunteers twice a week at a local museum. It would drive me nuts to know I couldn't go anywhere when he isn't here.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

2,777 posts, read 757,751 times
We have been sharing one car since we retired at age 52 (13 years ago!). The reason will seem crazy to you all, but when we retired we had a garage for the first time in our entire adult/married life! It technically is a two car garage, but just barely. Not much room for anything else and we'd be leery driving in with the other car parked there---so that gave us the impetus to downsize to one car. We're together most of the time. On the few occasions when we go out separately (lunches with friends), the other stays home and gets caught up on some chores. We're homebodies anyway, so this is no big deal.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

30,429 posts, read 47,712,227 times
Our son and DIL are both w/o jobs
Her car was totaled when a tree split and half fell on her car (parked behind the apt house they live in)
She got insurance but not really enough for a new car plus the insurance
So they are dealing with just one car
They are rough on cars—she has had several fender benders
I would give them the car but that would mean their having to take out insurance
So for now guess I will just hold on to it in case they need it
My husband wants me to trade it in on new car because he things the hybrid battery is going to start failing...
It seems to work fine when I drive it
Holds a charge
And even buying a new battery would be less $$ than buying a new car to replace mine...
That is a non-starter with me at this point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or