U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

262 posts, read 127,813 times

Advertisements

My husband is 76, and I am 65. We have one car.

It happened accidentally . . . Well, sort of. He has been having some cognitive problems. He was driving an older BMW, which are expensive to maintain. One day he told me it wouldn't start. He was unwilling to spend any more money on it. He was certain that it was the transmission. He didn't know how to make it go away, and it was really upsetting him. So I did.

A few days later he told me my car wouldn't go in reverse. I had just driven it. I went outside, and it was fine. Had I just scrapped a 2007 BMW that needed a new battery because I believed him?

I will never know, but it doesn't matter. He gave up driving at that point, which was well worth the money. It is often difficult to wrest car keys from seniors. I didn't have to have that argument.

So now we have one car. I can only leave him for an hour or two because of the dog, anyway. He isn't bedridden but more like housebound by his own choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM

811 posts, read 811,465 times
I'm 70 and hubby 87. Two cars. He is an active volunteer at a library and is involved in photography and a music group.
I'm an orchid grower and involved in the local Orchid Society. I still run the household, do the shopping, etc.

Husband has health problems where he his multiple doctor appointments during the week plus physical therapy to keep his legs working. With his hobbies and volunteering he's hardly home. Loves retirement as he has time to do the things he never had time to do while he worked.

I hope his mind and driving skills stay sharp as he would be devastated if he lost the ability to drive. He's very independent as am I. Couldn't imagine living with just one car.

We are lucky that both our old cars have held up well. Mine is a Honda Pilot (12 yrs old) and he drives a Toyota Scion (13yrs old). Really can't afford to replace them but they are unbelievable cars and never seem to have any repairs....thank goodness!

Old Today, 05:12 AM

178 posts, read 95,517 times
Two years ago we dropped down to one car for about 10 months. I found it simply wasn't working for us. Even though we don't go out a lot it still was very inconvenient. After him forgetting to let me know he would need the car several times when I needed it I finally said it's time to go back to having two cars.

Life is much easier now and it's nice to have the freedom to go out whenever I need to without scheduling the use of the car.

Old Today, 07:47 AM

5,978 posts, read 4,961,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
DW won't share a car with me so no way could we live with 1 car. Right now we have 3 cars, 1 for each of us plus our beater truck for all of our landscaping projects. But we live in the country so no public transportation.
That's an issue here too. No Uber either, except for the odd trip to the airport. I think we have one Uber driver for 8000 people in our neighborhood, so except the airport, no one uses Uber. DH and I like to do different things at the same time. Just no way we're going to one car for many years.

Old Today, 08:14 AM

15,850 posts, read 26,985,732 times
My dad is 81 and my mom is 79. They have only had one car for the past 40 or so years. When I was younger they had a truck and camper and a small car. Then again, my mom has never driven a car in her life.

Old Today, 08:16 AM

13,222 posts, read 20,965,375 times
We gave my husband's car to one of our sons about 6 years ago, and managed just fine with one, despite my still working fulltime, until a couple of months ago. My retired spouse(65) told me he felt trapped at home, so he started shopping for a second vehicle. He bought a truck, promising that he would get good use out of it hauling plants, mulch, and the materials to do some minor repairs around the house. So far? It's been to the grocery store.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

1,854 posts, read 823,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I ask because I seldom use my personal caró09 Toyota Camry Hybrid in great shape w/31K milesó
And I canít drive at night because of cataractsóno problem otherwise so donít want to have surgery now
I am just 71 but people we know who are seniors seem to use 1 car once they get later 70s or 80s...

We spend about half the year in FL and I donít drive there anyway because my husband has a Traverse and I just donít feel comfortable driving a car that big
He is better driver than I am anyway

Since he is retired we go most places together

I am just wondering if it is time to sell my car while it would still get decent price
And just go w/one car
I have friends I do things w/who live close and I can get ride w/them if we go to show or out to lunch

And there is always Uber
We arenít in area in TX or FL that has viable public transportation

Anyone else w/o public transportation as normal mode who has dropped one or both cars?
We have multiple cars but if we got down to it we would always have at least two driving vehicles unless one of us could no longer drive. I don't drive at night but it would be a pita to have to coordinate between my needing the vehicle and my husband wanting it even though sometimes we never even leave the house for days. I like my freedom of not depending on anyone else or having to coordinate with someone else regarding driving or taking my husband with me shopping. I like to shop alone.

Old Today, 03:50 PM

13,322 posts, read 6,375,000 times
We became a 2 car family when our daughter was a preschooler. My husband needed the car to get to work. That worked fine until our daughter was 3 and I got a part-time evening job. Sometimes he was late getting home from work which meant I was late getting to work. So, we gave in and got a second car. This worked fine for years.

The last job my husband had before he retired was one where he worked at home. At that point, we didn't need 2 cars. Then our daughter and son-in-law had a third child and she called us and asked us if we would sell the minivan to them. After all, as she pointed out, my husband worked at home now. We agreed and drove the minivan out to AZ where they were living at the time and sold it to them.

For a while we considered getting a second car but realized that we were doing fine with just one. That was 12 years ago.

We sold the house and downsized to an apartment in a walkable area with decent public transportation. As a result, we don't use the car very much. We could even walk to our doctor's appts. but my husband has arthritis in his knees, thus he uses the car to go short distances when he goes out by himself. He loves to drive so these days I very rarely get to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or