U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

22,420 posts, read 14,736,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Putting on socks is a chore now. Having to tie an untied shoe while standing is really difficult.
I tie the loops again after tying the first bow knot. I used to do this for my kiddos, and now I do it for myself, if the laces are long enough.

Personally I donít feel I am along in my dotage enough for velcro closures. Wait! My sandals have velcro straps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

1,497 posts, read 723,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I hold on to things going up and down stairs

I avoid getting down on my knees, unless there's something close by, that I can haul myself back up with.

Earlier this summer, we decided it was time to put a rubber mat down in the bathtub.
I must be your age.

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 2,069,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
y.ak is a censored word on these forums,. I wish they would uncensor it, as it is useful in a lot of the word games.

I googled it and still have no clue why it's censored. Must be a young person's term.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

649 posts, read 415,130 times
Tai Chi. Sitting in my rocking chair and watching my chickens and goats, sometimes for hours. A lot more canning. Plucking hairs from my chin. Get confused by high tech. Take an afternoon nap. Piddle arround in my garden. Still make meatloaf and bake a lot.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

5,436 posts, read 3,511,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post

I googled it and still have no clue why it's censored. Must be a young person's term.
I thought it was because there was (or is) a moderator/poster named *** (Y-A-K). I remember reading something about that way back.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

8,691 posts, read 9,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
- I refuse to pay for cable because I feel most TV shows these days are pure trash. I have an antenna.
- I constantly forget why I got up to go into another room
- I bought one of those grabbers so I don't have to bend as much

Other than that I'm doing okay for 64.

I agree with you about TV these days. Seriously considering an indoor antenna but need to do some research. Do you need one for each TV?

I have a problem remembering why I went to another room too but not very often. I just go back to where I was and I remember. lol

When I left the hospital after two weeks I ended up with two 'grabbers'. I use them all the time, mostly to get things high up. I don't mind being short till I have to reach something.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

20,171 posts, read 19,164,173 times
Y*A*K is one of the super moderators.

I think I have always been an old person, especially after reading all the preceding.

I don't like the "new" foods, especially anything really spicy and with hot peppers.
I wear slippers indoors all day long and wear them outside to walk the dog.
I still enjoy looking at road maps and often find them preferable.
I never watch tv but have returned to radio. I can't find good discussion type radio anymore but someone on the UK forum told me about LBC--Leading Best Conversation. "Alexa, LBC United Kingdom radio." (or some variation of that.) Or I will listen to BBC radio 5. Same topics as we have over here and very entertaining for me.
Complain about misspellings and bad grammar and punctuation.
If I do wear shoes it's Birkenstocks for the arch support and in winter, it's Stegmann clogs for the same reason. At least they last forever.
Always hold the railing going downstairs.
Complain about the quality of products that are available.
My foods are probably all old people foods--meat loaf, baked potato, pot roast, stew, banana bread, blueberry muffins.
Love antiques.

Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

4,793 posts, read 3,329,078 times
AZDesertBrat: I turned off cable a few years ago and have indoor antennas. I have one for each TV. You have to attach one end of it to your TV.

In-NewEngland: Have you tried Sirius radio? I don't know a lot about it but it might have some discussion programs.

I've had one of those days today. I wanted to get a bunch of things done and nothing got done. My cat chewed the vacuum cleaner cord and I don't dare to plug it in. Someone told me if the cord was bitten right through to the wires.... forget the black electrical tape to repair it. So I need to replace the cord. Oh my gosh, what a pain that was.....Finding someone local to do it? What a joke. I called Sears and the phone was answered by a woman with a heavy accent and her phone kept cutting out. Could not hear and let myself get riled up over it.

After several calls, talked with a guy not far from here who can do it but complained about the hard job it would be and it would cost $50.

I'm really miserable tonight. And being hungry doesn't help.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

58 posts, read 84,259 times
Catch up on the City-Data Retirement forum at least a dozen times per day

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

37,386 posts, read 46,100,281 times
I listen to Yacht Rock on Sirius radio. It’s mostly oldies.
I have to haul myself upstairs by the railing.
I could be content sitting and knitting or reading all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or