U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

1,826 posts, read 816,499 times

Advertisements

What "old person" things do you do?

I pee a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,175,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
AZDesertBrat My cat chewed the vacuum cleaner cord and I don't dare to plug it in. Someone told me if the cord was bitten right through to the wires.... forget the black electrical tape to repair it. So I need to replace the cord.
Yes, you can use electrical tape to repair the cord. All you need is a small sharp knife and a roll of electrical tape. A wire cutter/stripper would make the job a bit easier.

Here are the repair steps:

1. Cut off the damaged cord section. Once the cord is cut, you will see that it has two individual wires each inside its own insulation sleeve.

Note: the two wires usually have their insulation sleeves color coded for power and ground. You may want to use a black marker or a piece of color tape to mark one side of the cord (before cutting it halves) just in the case the inside wires are not color coded.

2. Trim off a section of the outside insulation sleeve in each end so that you can separate the two wires.

3. Use a wire stripper or just shave off a small section the insulation sleeve with the knife making sure not to cut off the copper wire(s) inside.

4. Once you can get to the bare wires, just twist the matching bare wire sections to make a good electrical connection then wrap electrical tape around each repair section. Give plenty of tape to make sure there is plenty of insulation between the two wires.

5. Plug the vacuum cleaner to make sure that it works before using electrical tape to wrap around the repair area.

If you don't want to do it yourself, see if you can find a handy neighbor to do it. I suggest giving it a try. After you do it once, you will find that it is pretty easy to make simple electrical wiring repair.

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

5,655 posts, read 2,976,982 times
Step 6: Coat the tape with Bitter Apple to make the cord unpleasant for further chewing. Whoops—treat the entire cord with it.

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

10,637 posts, read 5,032,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I agree with you about TV these days. Seriously considering an indoor antenna but need to do some research. Do you need one for each TV?

I have a problem remembering why I went to another room too but not very often. I just go back to where I was and I remember. lol

When I left the hospital after two weeks I ended up with two 'grabbers'. I use them all the time, mostly to get things high up. I don't mind being short till I have to reach something.
Yes, I think you need one for each TV. I have two TV's and an "antenna" for each. They're not like the old antennae, they're practically unnoticeable.

The grabber is great for us vertically challenged people but when I can't reach something the dog has dragged under the bed or the cat threw behind the couch it's nice not to have to move furniture to get at it.

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

3,559 posts, read 5,228,250 times
I totally disagree about the "No TV" argument. Especially if you're willing to spring for the premium channels. TV is like the a bookstore/library. There will be books you're not interested in, books you're repulsed by, books you think are trash, etc. Still, there will be books that enrich your life, educate you, amuse you, entertain you etc. You just have to be judicious in choosing.

There is so much on TV that can add luster and dimension to your life. Don't rule it all out because there's a huge amount of crap. Learn to be discerning and be willing to pay a bit more for the better channels. Just as you might seek out a larger bookstore/library with more to your liking.

Last edited by sayulita; Yesterday at 04:16 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

930 posts, read 545,265 times
I still get a newspaper. Since it's becoming thinner and thinner I keep telling myself to get rid of it but I like to read the special local section that comes out every Thursday. It's nice to read about local events or student achievement at nearby schools. It's some of the only positive news I get.

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

15,391 posts, read 17,917,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Worse, or in addition to loud TV is having to read subtitles to get all the missed dialogue. HATE that.

I turn up the volume on the TV & read the subtitles, also...
Sometimes i watch a movie on tv.....then several months later i watch the movie again, having forgot that i already watched it...

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have to admit that today we were out and about and stopped at Taco Bell for lunch, and I got the free senior drink.

The Taco Bell i go to, they charge 50 cents for the senior drink...

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Like Silibran I park in the same area when grocery shopping so I don't have to worry about forgetting where I parked....much easier.

For the last 6 months we've been doing our grocery shopping online at Walmart. You can also buy some of the other store items, online.
I pick a day & time to pick up my groceries.
I park in specified store parking spots. I call a number letting them know i'm here.
My personal store shopper brings out my groceries & loads them into my jeep.
We don't even have to get out of the car.
I love it. This is the best thing since sliced bread...

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

20,172 posts, read 19,164,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
For the last 6 months we've been doing our grocery shopping online at Walmart. You can also buy some of the other store items, online.
I pick a day & time to pick up my groceries.
I park in specified store parking spots. I call a number letting them know i'm here.
My personal store shopper brings out my groceries & loads them into my jeep.
We don't even have to get out of the car.
I love it. This is the best thing since sliced bread...
Hey, I thought that was a young person thing. They always say they don't have any time so they order online and it saves them the extra time spent walking around in the store.

As for tv, I can't afford hundreds of $$ just for a few channels out of hundreds. Most of tv has gone to murder, violence, detective, etc. Or cooking shows. I can read the news online or listen on the radio--not much good news lately anyway. I have an antenna and can get three PBS channels so I get interesting documentaries and some other good programs off and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or