U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

5,367 posts, read 3,717,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
AZDesertBrat: I turned off cable a few years ago and have indoor antennas. I have one for each TV. You have to attach one end of it to your TV.

In-NewEngland: Have you tried Sirius radio? I don't know a lot about it but it might have some discussion programs.

I've had one of those days today. I wanted to get a bunch of things done and nothing got done. My cat chewed the vacuum cleaner cord and I don't dare to plug it in. Someone told me if the cord was bitten right through to the wires.... forget the black electrical tape to repair it. So I need to replace the cord. Oh my gosh, what a pain that was.....Finding someone local to do it? What a joke. I called Sears and the phone was answered by a woman with a heavy accent and her phone kept cutting out. Could not hear and let myself get riled up over it.

After several calls, talked with a guy not far from here who can do it but complained about the hard job it would be and it would cost $50.

I'm really miserable tonight. And being hungry doesn't help.
Repair extension cord chewed by whatever.
1. Use a knife, cut outer rubber sheath where the animal chewed and peel back about 3 inches
2. You will see 3 wires, probably a black, white and green.
3. If animal chewed thru any of the wires and exposed the copper, use the $.50 cent roll of electrical tape to cover the exposed area, about 4 wraps.
4. Use the $.50 roll of electrical tape and wrap completely the area you exposed in step 1, about 4 wraps.
You just saved $49.50. It ain't rocket science.

Oops, just noticed BellaDl answered. Most likely the animal did not cut the copper wire, just the insulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

15,393 posts, read 17,917,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I need to find CC on my tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Me too but I'm wondering if it will work on those really old shows. Were they set up for that? Or does that just work automatically? Need to check it out.

This might help...

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

9,183 posts, read 7,933,928 times
Not that this is an old people thing but as long as TV has been mentioned. I rarely watch TV during the day. I spend most of my time on the computer. As for TV, I do try and watch the local news from 6 to 6:30 then national news for 6:30 to 7:00. Other than that, I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime the rest of the evening so I am considering dropping cable TV and using a ROKU antenna like I have on my spare bedroom TV.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

9,029 posts, read 7,847,495 times
Watch old movies and TV shows almost exclusively, take naps, listen to old music, go for walks.

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
AZDesertBrat: I turned off cable a few years ago and have indoor antennas. I have one for each TV. You have to attach one end of it to your TV.

In-NewEngland: Have you tried Sirius radio? I don't know a lot about it but it might have some discussion programs.

I've had one of those days today. I wanted to get a bunch of things done and nothing got done. My cat chewed the vacuum cleaner cord and I don't dare to plug it in. Someone told me if the cord was bitten right through to the wires.... forget the black electrical tape to repair it. So I need to replace the cord. Oh my gosh, what a pain that was.....Finding someone local to do it? What a joke. I called Sears and the phone was answered by a woman with a heavy accent and her phone kept cutting out. Could not hear and let myself get riled up over it.

After several calls, talked with a guy not far from here who can do it but complained about the hard job it would be and it would cost $50.

I'm really miserable tonight. And being hungry doesn't help.

This might help you.
BE CAREFUL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao4K_RkYOAs

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Using a wire stripper tool like this vvv makes the job simpler...
https://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-CP-30...66712520&psc=1

Last edited by Hawk J; Yesterday at 07:31 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

206 posts, read 191,937 times
I put my keys, purse, cell phone, and sunglasses on the table in the same order, left to right. Thatís the only way I am sure I donít forget them when I leave.

Take naps if necessary.

Go to bed early most nights.

I hold on to railings on all steps.

My exercise is swimming laps, but Iím a very old and slow swimmer. Other swimmers seem to pass me a lot on either side.

I keep Doctor and other appointment reminders on the refrigerator. I use a regular calendar, not my cell phone calendar. I do use google maps but I really like the paper ones also.

I keep and wear comfortable, mostly older clothes. I do purchase some new items, but comfort is most important.

I wear mostly slip on sandals and shoes because tying laces has become difficult.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

184 posts, read 135,938 times
Default Make tomorrow's coffee before todays' is drunk!

Since I retired I have become more and more compulsive.

As soon as last night's prepared coffee is brewed in the morning, I toss out the old grounds and replace with fresh ones...before one "today's" cup is consumed!

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

2,686 posts, read 4,572,710 times
Remind myself ďthereís no fool like an old fool.Ē

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,134,292 times
I wear sandals with black socks.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hey, I thought that was a young person thing. They always say they don't have any time so they order online and it saves them the extra time spent walking around in the store.

As for tv, I can't afford hundreds of $$ just for a few channels out of hundreds. Most of tv has gone to murder, violence, detective, etc. Or cooking shows. I can read the news online or listen on the radio--not much good news lately anyway. I have an antenna and can get three PBS channels so I get interesting documentaries and some other good programs off and on.

IN the summer when it's 100 degrees or more, i would just as soon stay in my jeep with the A/C on & have my groceries loaded up, at this time in my life........I've been a customer here over six lustrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or