U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:08 AM

4,507 posts, read 6,617,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
The Taco Bell i go to, they charge 50 cents for the senior drink...
Our Sr drink is free in FL.

Old Today, 09:30 AM

8,704 posts, read 9,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes, I think you need one for each TV. I have two TV's and an "antenna" for each. They're not like the old antennae, they're practically unnoticeable.

The grabber is great for us vertically challenged people but when I can't reach something the dog has dragged under the bed or the cat threw behind the couch it's nice not to have to move furniture to get at it.

Thanks for the info. My mom had an indoor antenna and the only thing I didn't like about it was she didn't get a lot of the channels I like to watch. I've been thinking about cancelling Dish for quite a while because it just gets more expensive all the time. Started out at $88 and is now over $125! Nothing added or changed. I'm also cutting loose my landline phone and changing internet providers for the same reason. I figured out one day that between phone/internet, TV and cell phone I'm paying out nearly $300 month!! Outrageous.

I do love my 'grabbers'. Handy for lots of things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:28 AM

735 posts, read 248,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Weird. The only definition for what you wrote that I know is either gabbing or puking. Neither worthy of censorship.
The word is a nic for one of the mods, as part of the TOS you're not allowed to discuss the moderators. Just a guess.

Old Today, 10:32 AM

9,722 posts, read 16,013,917 times
[quote=kevxu;56021965].

The doctors item is a real red button for me. I am old, and I feel physically very uncomfortable most of the time...."the days dwindle down to a precious few." So I really resent half a day screwing around waiting, waiting, then the visit, then the waiting to pay, then making appointments for tests....when what I really want is to have my carcass outside somewhere with the trees, meadows, wind and birds. If it is not obvious, the person who used to be Mr. Nice Guy is getting to be a grump, and though I may camouflage him well I hate having to make the effort to keep a lid on the old fart.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

This is especially trying for me. I developed health issues at the ripe old age of 21, and it feels like I've spent the better part of my life sitting in waiting rooms! A lot of such visits -- and the waiting game -- are unnecessary. However, you play their game if you want to get your condition treated. Looking through my calendar, it seems hardly a week goes by that I don't have some sort of medical appt, including labs, tests, doctor visits, dental stuff, etc. It never ends! But it seems especially unfair to me, because I've been doing this for the last 40+ years! I sometimes have to declare a "no doctors month" during which I refuse to schedule anything medical. But then, something manages to encroach on that time period, such as one of my cats develops a problem, etc. sometimes I feel like a slave to the Big Three--Doctors, Dentists, Veterinarians!

Last edited by MaryleeII; Today at 10:42 AM..

Old Today, 10:38 AM

9,722 posts, read 16,013,917 times
A lot of elderly people and those with chronic health problems finally give up! The endless stream of medical appointments finally becomes unmanageable and they just stop going! I've known several people who just gave up. I mean, lets face it, in your mid--late 80's you only have so much time -- and money -- left. You don't want to spent your remaining months, weeks, days, etc hauling your behind around to sit in waiting rooms when there's nothing to be gained. Id rather be out in the sunshine, too, rather than moldering away in a waiting room!

Old Today, 10:39 AM

5,262 posts, read 2,005,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I like to play the 70s station on Sirius.
Me too. Love "Seventies on Seven, Sirius XM."

Old Today, 10:51 AM

1,482 posts, read 914,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I hold on to things going up and down stairs

I avoid getting down on my knees, unless there's something close by, that I can haul myself back up with.

Earlier this summer, we decided it was time to put a rubber mat down in the bathtub.

I probably could get back up without something to grab onto, but getting down on the floor (to find something, usually) and getting back up again is such a process that it's easier to do it with something to hold onto.

I had grab bars installed in my shower/bath stall when I moved into my current apartment nearly four years ago. Very helpful, at least in making me feel secure in getting out of the shower (or bath).

Old Today, 11:09 AM

14,587 posts, read 8,042,133 times
We have 4 antique phonographs that we listen to every day. We love that 20's Dixieland Swing. Some of our Edison records are 100 years old and the music is quite terrible. We also love old black and white movies. I have about 100 episodes of The Andy Griffith show on my DVR. I live in Mayberry. It's a town full of old houses and mom and pop ice cream shops and cute restaurants. We don't have a town drunk riding a cow though

Old Today, 11:45 AM

9,575 posts, read 2,909,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwfcforlife View Post
Saw this on Reddit and thought it would be great on this board , what old person things do you do?

I like to watch 1960s movies rather than current movies
I love 50s film noir movies. And Hitchcock for sure. I don't like a lot of violence and blood and guts, so I much prefer old movies.

Old Today, 12:12 PM

5,674 posts, read 1,421,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Save rubber bands from the newspaper.
Still use a Rolodex.
Drink instant coffee.
Turn off lights when not in the room.
Long for the days of good manners and decorum.
With you on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or