U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:56 PM

809 posts, read 225,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Not that this is an old people thing but as long as TV has been mentioned. I rarely watch TV during the day. I spend most of my time on the computer. As for TV, I do try and watch the local news from 6 to 6:30 then national news for 6:30 to 7:00. Other than that, I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime the rest of the evening so I am considering dropping cable TV and using a ROKU antenna like I have on my spare bedroom TV.
!!!
Roku consists of hundreds of apps-channels. One of them is called “ news on”- local news from different states and different broadcasting companies. So, if your state/ city participates- you don’t have to wait for a specific time- you can catch on the news at your convenience...
It is fun to check the local news from other areas once in a while too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:05 PM

809 posts, read 225,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Thanks for the info. My mom had an indoor antenna and the only thing I didn't like about it was she didn't get a lot of the channels I like to watch. I've been thinking about cancelling Dish for quite a while because it just gets more expensive all the time. Started out at $88 and is now over $125! Nothing added or changed. I'm also cutting loose my landline phone and changing internet providers for the same reason. I figured out one day that between phone/internet, TV and cell phone I'm paying out nearly $300 month!! Outrageous.

I do love my 'grabbers'. Handy for lots of things!
Go to TV fool website and give them your address and the approximate height the antenna will be - they will tell you what channels you can get for free and what type of antenna you may need- indoor, attic or outdoor and which way to point antenna to get the channels you need.
You can use 1 antenna for several TVs, but you need to use a splitter- small attachment to the cord from antenna.
It however depends on the strengths of the signal you receive from your antenna- based on your location. If the signal is not strong, then the splitter will reduce it even more- so you may need a separate antenna for each tv
So visit TV fool or government website dvt.gov to learn more.
Alternatively, depending on the channels you are interested in- you simply use your internet for a numerous tv programming- some like Roku or Amazons Fire stick - you pay once for a stick and no monthly payments. You only pay for Internet.
Or you can purchase tv streaming services- for a moderate monthly fee: Hulu, YouTube, Sling Tv, Direct TV Now, etc
You don’t need antenna in those cases

Last edited by Nik4me; 08-27-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-27-2019, 08:38 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,458,994 times
Default Lololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do LOTS of old people stuff, but have for years.

Crochet. Sew. Use part of a paper towel. Read up on politics. Talk to myself. Collect change and put it in the machine at the bank.
LOL, OMG I can't stop laughing!

Old 08-27-2019, 09:04 PM

8,705 posts, read 9,787,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post

Thank you! I'll check it out.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
A lot of elderly people and those with chronic health problems finally give up! The endless stream of medical appointments finally becomes unmanageable and they just stop going! I've known several people who just gave up. I mean, lets face it, in your mid--late 80's you only have so much time -- and money -- left. You don't want to spent your remaining months, weeks, days, etc hauling your behind around to sit in waiting rooms when there's nothing to be gained. Id rather be out in the sunshine, too, rather than moldering away in a waiting room!
I am so glad I don't have a lot of medical issues. Not often in the doctor's office. I did go the other day and when he told me it had been a year since my last visit I didn't believe it. I thought, maybe, six months. But no, Aug. 9, 2018. Well, I guess if I never get sick I don't have to go. I try to go every six months to check in and say "Hi". This time he wants me back in two months. Thankfully it's never a long wait.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
I have a renewed respect for movies pre 1970 that, even with loosening censorship, managed to make for good drama without incessant swearing and other stuff now routinely MA on Netflix. I know this makes me sound old and hopeless, but even some sort of clever restraint is appreciated nowadays. Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. Where is good taste and sophistication? I know, I know...

I don't think that makes you sound "old and hopeless". Or, if you are, so am I. I like the movies from the 40s and 50s, partly for that reason. I used to really like Eddie Murphy on Saturday Night Live so decided to watch a special he had on TV. I could only take about 15 minutes of it mostly because of the language. And even that wouldn't have been so bad if there hadn't been so much of it. I'm far from being a prude but I just didn't like it. I think it's acceptable to most people and I don't know hardly anyone who doesn't swear like a sailor. In just ordinary conversation.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:25 PM

56,005 posts, read 75,066,068 times
Paint and play saxophone ? Ballroom dance?
Art and music?
I guess that makes me old

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-27-2019 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I still get a newspaper. Since it's becoming thinner and thinner I keep telling myself to get rid of it but I like to read the special local section that comes out every Thursday. It's nice to read about local events or student achievement at nearby schools. It's some of the only positive news I get.

I quit the delivery newspaper but for less money ($2.50 mo) I get the e-edition online. It has all the sub publications...entertainment, house and home, etc.. Just no ads. I also read newspapers online from a couple places I used to live. Still have friends there.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:44 PM

305 posts, read 645,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Tai Chi. Sitting in my rocking chair and watching my chickens and goats, sometimes for hours. A lot more canning. Plucking hairs from my chin. Get confused by high tech. Take an afternoon nap. Piddle arround in my garden. Still make meatloaf and bake a lot.

OMG, plucking hairs from the chin is almost a full time job!!

I use a garden pad with handles cuz once I am down, it's tough getting up!

Watch exercise videos on you tube, save for watching later. did I say anything about DOING the exercise?

Bedtime is 7:00 PM. Up with the chickens at sunrise.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
For the last 6 months we've been doing our grocery shopping online at Walmart. You can also buy some of the other store items, online.
I pick a day & time to pick up my groceries.
I park in specified store parking spots. I call a number letting them know i'm here.
My personal store shopper brings out my groceries & loads them into my jeep.
We don't even have to get out of the car.
I love it. This is the best thing since sliced bread...

I agree totally! Best thing Walmart ever did. Wonderful for older people with health issues! I don't have to hike all over that huge store, fight the 'traffic' in the aisles, load the cart, UNload the cart, pay, load/unload again at the car! lol AND I can't "impulse buy" so I save money! Yessir, I love it!

Been doing my shopping that way since April and it's only once a month so it's a goodly amount each time. One thing I like about it is if they have to substitute something they give you a bigger higher priced similar item. One time I ordered one Polish sausage ring but they were out of the singles so gave me a family pack of three HUGE ones. Same price. Made six meals for just me. Same thing happened with coffee.

One word of caution though and this may not have happened to you but did, to me, twice. I was ordering on my phone and I discovered that the screen is so sensitive it will sometimes add something accidently if my finger gets near it. I check my order all the time to be sure. Also I had ordered one thing, changed my mind and cancelled it but evidently it didn't cancel. I'll use it though so it's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or