Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 09:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I wear sandals with black socks.

Noooooooooooo!!!!

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hey, I thought that was a young person thing. They always say they don't have any time so they order online and it saves them the extra time spent walking around in the store.

As for tv, I can't afford hundreds of $$ just for a few channels out of hundreds. Most of tv has gone to murder, violence, detective, etc. Or cooking shows. I can read the news online or listen on the radio--not much good news lately anyway. I have an antenna and can get three PBS channels so I get interesting documentaries and some other good programs off and on.

You are so right about what's on TV anymore. There are so many true crime shows on you'd think people could commit the perfect crime since they all show you how NOT to do it.

An antenna is sounding better and better to me every day. Paid my Dish bill and got further motivated to 'just do it'.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Read lots of news.....

When I watch an older movie, I'll google actors I think may have died from that movie

I'll marvel at a deal. My neighbor bought a brand new shovel from a big box store for $9. I couldn't believe you could buy a brand new shovel that cheap, to the point I almost bought one just because it was so cheap! I'd didn't..........figured I could borrow his for free!

Lately I have been looking at things and considering how expensive they have gotten. New F150, 50-55-60K? Crazytalk, I bought a new Lariat 9 years ago for 30,000!

When I first started watching those old shows from the 50s and 60s I did the same thing. Today, on Perry Mason, I saw Ryan O'Neal in 1964. Fifty five years ago and he looked like a real baby face. Lots of stars from back then on that show. All the original cast have died.

LOL at "borrow his for free". Good thinking!

I remember in the early 60s going to the Chevy dealer to check out new cars. They wanted $2,500 for one. We couldn't afford it.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Most likely cc is in the settings under accessibility: you can set it as a choice of “always on†, “ on on replay†or “offâ€
It works on nearly all old shows and movies.

Thanks, I'll check it out. You guys are so good with the advice I've got lots to "check out".

Old 08-27-2019, 10:07 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
We go to all the functions at our church with our favorite group, the retired older folks. We watch movies in the sanctuary, we play bingo, we have pot-lucks, we play trivia, we have hymn sings.

At restaurants, the over 55 menu is almost always in the back page. I get discounts most places. 1 clothing store has 20% off on Thursdays for 55 and older folk.

Grab bars in 2 out of 3 bathrooms. Rubber mat in one. One very deep soaking tub - not used as I can't get up out of it.

When I park in a lot I drive around until I find one I can pull through into the next lane so I don't have to back up to get out. My neck gets stiff and it's hard to turn around and look in back.

I carry tums and cough drops in my car, my purse, my end tables. Also the otc pain reliever we call the "blue pill".

I look at my feet as I walk, watch the ground for obstacles I might fall over.

Naps in the afternoon; if I miss one I make up for that in the evening.
We talk with our friends about all our ailments, our doctors, our medicines, the people we know who died.
Prop my feet up all the time to get the fluid out of my ankles.
Use quarts of skin moisturizer.
Cut the long hair off, too much trouble.
Keep several weeks of vitamins and Rx's sorted out in pill organizers. I have the pharmacy on speed dial.

At least I'm happy I made it this far!

Old 08-27-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Go to TV fool website and give them your address and the approximate height the antenna will be - they will tell you what channels you can get for free and what type of antenna you may need- indoor, attic or outdoor and which way to point antenna to get the channels you need.
You can use 1 antenna for several TVs, but you need to use a splitter- small attachment to the cord from antenna.
It however depends on the strengths of the signal you receive from your antenna- based on your location. If the signal is not strong, then the splitter will reduce it even more- so you may need a separate antenna for each tv
So visit TV fool or government website dvt.gov to learn more.
Alternatively, depending on the channels you are interested in- you simply use your internet for a numerous tv programming- some like Roku or Amazons Fire stick - you pay once for a stick and no monthly payments. You only pay for Internet.
Or you can purchase tv streaming services- for a moderate monthly fee: Hulu, YouTube, Sling Tv, Direct TV Now, etc
You don’t need antenna in those cases

I think indoor antennas would be fine here. I am right in line with the towers for all that and can see them from my house. My mom lived a mile away and had no problems.

My room mate only watches Netflix and Amazon and says I can watch on mine through her family account.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Y*A*K is one of the super moderators.

I think I have always been an old person, especially after reading all the preceding.

I don't like the "new" foods, especially anything really spicy and with hot peppers.
I wear slippers indoors all day long and wear them outside to walk the dog.
I still enjoy looking at road maps and often find them preferable.
I never watch tv but have returned to radio. I can't find good discussion type radio anymore but someone on the UK forum told me about LBC--Leading Best Conversation. "Alexa, LBC United Kingdom radio." (or some variation of that.) Or I will listen to BBC radio 5. Same topics as we have over here and very entertaining for me.
Complain about misspellings and bad grammar and punctuation.
If I do wear shoes it's Birkenstocks for the arch support and in winter, it's Stegmann clogs for the same reason. At least they last forever.
Always hold the railing going downstairs.
Complain about the quality of products that are available.
My foods are probably all old people foods--meat loaf, baked potato, pot roast, stew, banana bread, blueberry muffins.
Love antiques.
Recently one of my students asked what I was eating. I replied: "A hard-boiled egg, would you like one?" She laughed and said: "That's Old Man food, that's what my grandpa eats"!

Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 PM

832 posts, read 466,346 times
Take one or two naps a day. Put off chores as long as possible.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:51 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Closed captions for TV
Early to bed and early to rise.
Get up to pee during the night.
Leave weddings and parties by 10pm.
Wear wool socks almost year round.
Have dollar store glasses laying around in almost every room.
Stress about packing things for trips or cooking for a group.
Procrastinate a LOT.
At any given time, I'll have 8-10 notes for things so I don't forget them.
Give up on diets too quickly. A slow but steady weight gain sucks.
I hurt. Nothing works like it used to.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:01 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Take a nap after lunch. Hate speeding and red light running
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement