U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 12:43 PM

1,154 posts, read 453,891 times

Advertisements

I compared my salary today to the pay received I entered the military in 1976. I make more in a day today than I made in an entire month's of service in 1976. That was $361.20 a month as an E-1. Damn. I was so poor and never realized it. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 06:12 AM

20,102 posts, read 20,216,704 times
Those who use the Walmart grocery pick up...does the one that loads your car get tipped?

Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 AM

1,345 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The other day I realized that I am now the oldest living relative on both sides of my family. I had one cousin ten years older and he died earlier this year. All the parents, grandparents, etc. are gone so now it's all cousins left. And a couple of siblings.

I really thought I didn't have much more to do as far as finding ancestors and have both sides waaay back but THEN I found out my dad wasn't really my dad so have a whole new thing to work on. One thing about genealogy...it never ends. And you never know what surprises you might find.

I have fruitlessly tried to find how the first ones got here in 1659. Unfortunately there were several men with the first name John in Charlestown back then. His wife is also a dead end. Like a sci-fi movie, *poof* they both appear in Charlestown in 1658, have a child in 1659 (their marriage and child were attested). John died a few months before his son was born. His wife disappears, there's no mention of a Margaret in any of the surname histories. More than 20 years later, their son arrives in Marlboro, marries and has children.

I didn't realize how unusual Massachusetts was with genealogy. The commonwealth has books of vital records and many cities have histories which are now archived and easily accessible. I thought other states would be similar - boy was I wrong!

I've been trying to find my dad's WWII info. I know he served at Panama Canal and was a SeaBee, but I can't find any record for him. I also can't find a service record for my brother who was a SeaBee at DaNang in Viet Nam.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:23 AM

8,753 posts, read 9,825,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Those who use the Walmart grocery pick up...does the one that loads your car get tipped?

No. They are not allowed to accept tips or gifts of any kind. A customer once brought me the most fantastic Mexican burrito for my birthday lunch and management tried to make me toss it. Guess who won that one!! lol

Old 08-30-2019, 09:37 AM

8,753 posts, read 9,825,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I have fruitlessly tried to find how the first ones got here in 1659. Unfortunately there were several men with the first name John in Charlestown back then. His wife is also a dead end. Like a sci-fi movie, *poof* they both appear in Charlestown in 1658, have a child in 1659 (their marriage and child were attested). John died a few months before his son was born. His wife disappears, there's no mention of a Margaret in any of the surname histories. More than 20 years later, their son arrives in Marlboro, marries and has children.

I didn't realize how unusual Massachusetts was with genealogy. The commonwealth has books of vital records and many cities have histories which are now archived and easily accessible. I thought other states would be similar - boy was I wrong!

I've been trying to find my dad's WWII info. I know he served at Panama Canal and was a SeaBee, but I can't find any record for him. I also can't find a service record for my brother who was a SeaBee at DaNang in Viet Nam.

Do you use the Ancestry.com website? It's a tad expensive but is excellent for finding all sorts of info.. You can get a two week trial membership and then decide if you want to pay to access more. So many people have the same names passed down through the generations I have to check really close for dates and places. I have one family line that is notorious for this but they mostly all had nicknames too so those were what I looked for.

I know what you mean about some states having searchable info and some not. Arizona state is pretty good and add stuff all the time. They are up to 1942 birth records but mine hasn't shown up yet. It's 'wrong' anyway. lol My dad's mom's family was originally from CT and MA but the name is so common it's hard to sort them out. I know they were there in the 1600s.

Ancestry has a lot of military records or websites where you can look further. Seems to me they were stored in Kansas somewhere but not sure about that anymore. I found tons of draft records in Ancestry for both WWs.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:15 AM

20,272 posts, read 19,264,421 times
Quote:

Yes, New England on the whole is easy. The early churches kept excellent records, and that applied even if the "church" was only in someone's house because they hadn't had time to build a church yet. Later on, there are narratives from nearly every town that the town historian or some other old timer wrote and they're a wealth of information too--like, "Old Ed Wright's house was built on the north side of the river, deep into the woods. His sons, Solomon and Samuel appreciated the proximity to the river because they liked to fish. Sad part was when Ed's wife was swept away by the current when she decided to wash some clothing in the river." There you are! Not only the genealogy but interesting background story to go with it.

But for 20 years I've been stuck on one line in CT. I have a guy who was never born, never married, and never died. Yet he fought in the French & Indian Wars. I've been reading that lots of the records were lost in fires--but I'm still not giving up.

As for being an old people hobby, mostly it is. We feel that we are the keepers of the family history and we are responsible for keeping it alive and passing it down. We also finally have the time to do it too.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:13 PM

14,467 posts, read 45,399,602 times
Quote:

I think some military records were lost in a fire a few years ago, I forget the details, but there was a fire that burned paperwork, and they didn't have any backup.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM

39,897 posts, read 48,411,783 times
Archives Recalls Fire That Claimed Millions of Military Personnel Files
https://www.archives.gov/news/articl...s-recalls-fire
On July 12, 1973, a devastating fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri, damaged or destroyed approximately 16–18 million Official Military Personnel Files documenting the service history of former military personnel discharged from 1912 to 1964

More...
https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSA...RC1973Fire.asp
The fire destroyed 75 percent of the records held for Veterans who were discharged from the Air Force between September 25, 1947 and January 1, 1964 with surnames beginning with Hubbard and running through the end of the alphabet.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:01 PM

14,467 posts, read 45,399,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Archives Recalls Fire That Claimed Millions of Military Personnel Files
https://www.archives.gov/news/articl...s-recalls-fire
On July 12, 1973, a devastating fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri, damaged or destroyed approximately 1618 million Official Military Personnel Files documenting the service history of former military personnel discharged from 1912 to 1964

More...
https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSA...RC1973Fire.asp
The fire destroyed 75 percent of the records held for Veterans who were discharged from the Air Force between September 25, 1947 and January 1, 1964 with surnames beginning with Hubbard and running through the end of the alphabet.

Thanks, I figured if I mentioned the "Military Records Fire" someone else would post up the details. Damn shame that this happened. But good to know, if you hit a dead end looking for military records, this fire may be the problem.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:26 PM

5,464 posts, read 705,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I use a cane.

I listen to both golden oldies (60s) and 70s and 80s music.

I also watch b&w tv shows on Me TV.

I take my time anymore.

I dont identify with the millennials. Dont understand them.

Is that "old person" enough for you?

Back in the 90s when I was living in CT, I frequently made the trek from CT to WNYS to visit my folks. My dad always had the radio blasting in the kitchen to the local station whose catchphrase was, "Playing music of your life." On one such visit I was in the kitchen with the radio on and Petula Clark's Downtown came on the air.

YIKES!

I quipped to my dad: "I know I'm getting old when the music of YOUR life becomes the music of MY life!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or