Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

No smartphone just a dumb one.
Refuse to buy a flat screen TV until the old one breaks (it's 27 years old).
Still don't use the numeric keypad on my computer keyboard even though I've had computers since the early 80s.
I stick with my brands. If the store is out, I don't buy a different brand.
I listen to oldies and country music on a CD player. I didn't have a CD player when they were popular.
Pee more frequently.
I don't do stairs at all.
I watch Quiz shows. When I was young, I rarely did.
I read a lot and the books are paper.
I drive in the right lane on the highway because I'm never in a hurry to get where I'm going.
I have a "regular" toothbrush.
I don't belong to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and never have due to privacy concerns.
I let the sun melt the ice off of my windshield rather than scrape it. If it takes a day, so what. I'm afraid of falling on the ice.
Except for driving around the corner to go to club meetings, I don't drive at night anymore.
I have a shopping cart (the kind you pull behind you) that folds up and use when I have groceries and other items to bring in from the car. When I was a kid, my grandmother had one.
I use my turn signals even if there is a turn lane.
I take advantage of my young doctor when I refuse to take some prescription he wants to give me. I figure he'll chalk it up to "stubborn old lady."
Speaking of "stubborn old lady" if I actually had a lawn, I'm sure I would be yelling at people to get off of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Honestly I don't feel like an old person but I will say we do eat dinner early
Been doing that for several years and it works great. I find I can eat a big lunch or a big dinner, and usually the big lunch does not happen------so by mid afternoon I am quite hungry. Eating at around 5 works great.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:52 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
This sounds about right.....
Attached Thumbnails
What "old person" things do you do?-40337128_1636387936516029_1498842633097707520_o.jpg  

Old 09-01-2019, 11:12 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
I use a reacher. I keep 2 handy...1 in the kitchen and one in the chicken coop.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:53 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
@in_newengland Have you tried finding anything on your "invisible" CT ancestor on FamilySearch? You may want to broaden your search from CT to the other New England colonies. I know the Marlboro relatives dispersed to many other states: CT, NH, NY etc.

@AZDesertBrat No I can't afford to join Ancestry. Many of the family records that I've found there have had some wrong information. Same with those on Geni. I've joined WikiTree which is free and requires sources for all information. FamilySearch is also free. I recently found out that my library may provide access to Fold3 so I'll try to find the military info through the library or when it's a free weekend.

@both Reading the published diary peaked my interest, but I didn't really get involved until I journeyed back to Ohio to see the home built in 1805. We also visited the cemetery. My aunt was always the family historian. Now that I'm retired, I'm trying to fill her shoes - big ones at that! lol She traced one maternal line of the family back to the castles of Ireland and I'm curious to know how accurate her information is.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:06 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
@in_newengland Have you tried finding anything on your "invisible" CT ancestor on FamilySearch? You may want to broaden your search from CT to the other New England colonies. I know the Marlboro relatives dispersed to many other states: CT, NH, NY etc.

@AZDesertBrat No I can't afford to join Ancestry. Many of the family records that I've found there have had some wrong information. Same with those on Geni. I've joined WikiTree which is free and requires sources for all information. FamilySearch is also free. I recently found out that my library may provide access to Fold3 so I'll try to find the military info through the library or when it's a free weekend.

@both Reading the published diary peaked my interest, but I didn't really get involved until I journeyed back to Ohio to see the home built in 1805. We also visited the cemetery. My aunt was always the family historian. Now that I'm retired, I'm trying to fill her shoes - big ones at that! lol She traced one maternal line of the family back to the castles of Ireland and I'm curious to know how accurate her information is.
I think I've tried just about every way of finding my Joshua Jr. Someone said one time that it's possible that the towns I was looking in are all different towns now so that could account for never being able to find him. I know where his parents lived and where he SHOULD have been born, but there are little towns and villages around there that could have been called something else back then. There's a genealogy library that I keep wanting to visit and that's where I can ask and find out what other towns I should be looking in. You know how it is, endless at times! I've also traced from the present time back and they were living in that area at that time so he must have been somewhere around there. arrrrrggghh.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:11 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
The other day I caught myself in the mirror, wearing a bathrobe and muttering about the noisy kids outside.
I lock up all the doors at night, just like my Dad used to.
I keep a magnifying glass in the kitchen to read those darn labels.

I need a nap by 3pm.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:04 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
My wife and I go "stocking footed" inside the house rather than wearing shoes. I have quick slip-on style utility shoes for the quick in & out tasks of shooing the dog back inside or getting the mail, a water/snow proof blocky tread pair for winter safety and LLBean moccasins for summer.

So in the summer time you will see me in the yard or driveway wearing moccasins with ankle high white socks.

If you don't like it, don't look.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:37 PM

32 posts, read 30,480 times
Eat out during "sunset specials" and take full advantage of any senior discounts at restaurants.
Get rewards cards for restaurants and stores I frequent.
Avid coupon hawk for good and services.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:12 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
My wife and I go "stocking footed" inside the house rather than wearing shoes. I have quick slip-on style utility shoes for the quick in & out tasks of shooing the dog back inside or getting the mail, a water/snow proof blocky tread pair for winter safety and LLBean moccasins for summer.

So in the summer time you will see me in the yard or driveway wearing moccasins with ankle high white socks.

If you don't like it, don't look.
Are you wearing a bathrobe and yelling at kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement