U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:15 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,719,139 times

Advertisements

For me, I crossed that invisible line into old age when I was 50. It was early morning after an overnight rain and I started pulling weeds in my back yard flower garden. The weeds were so easy to pull, the sun was just coming up and it was great to be outside. I realized I had worked my way to the front yard when I heard a car go by and looked up to see them looking at me. I was standing there in an orange, oversized tee shirt, purple flannel pajama bottoms with cat caricatures, and lime green Crocs. After letting out a big sigh for my younger, proper self that was no more, I finished weeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:25 PM

3,555 posts, read 5,224,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
For me, I crossed that invisible line into old age when I was 50. It was early morning after an overnight rain and I started pulling weeds in my back yard flower garden. The weeds were so easy to pull, the sun was just coming up and it was great to be outside. I realized I had worked my way to the front yard when I heard a car go by and looked up to see them looking at me. I was standing there in an orange, oversized tee shirt, purple flannel pajama bottoms with cat caricatures, and lime green Crocs. After letting out a big sigh for my younger, proper self that was no more, I finished weeding.
For me, that's one of the best parts of growing old - giving up your vanity! No makeup, no curling irons, wearing sweats 80% of the time is wonderful! Except when you get caught in public by someone you know!

Old Today, 01:42 PM

7,604 posts, read 3,172,859 times
Choose to pay someone to mow the lawn
Get more meticulous about sanding an icy deck/walking path
Don't feel the need to engage in debates
Dismiss newer styles of music and media
More likely to roll eyes/laugh at a young person's behavior

As for watching older movies...always done that regardless of age. I've never been very nostalgic but do enjoy telling stories. There are simply more of them to tell now.

Old Today, 01:59 PM

120 posts, read 51,744 times
I sometimes back up into people at the grocery store. When I was younger, I didn't understand how someone could be looking for something in the dairy case and then, all of a sudden, step backwards onto my feet. But now I understand.... I can't hear people behind me anymore. Can't see too well either. I think nature is trying to get rid of me!

Old Today, 02:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,634,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have those thoughts, too. So far Iíve managed to suppress them but it gets harder all the time.
Ah....just go ahead & get rid of that old "filter." LOL!!!!!

Old Today, 02:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,634,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

YOU GO, GIRL!!!! Eccentricity just feels good sometimes!!

Old Today, 02:14 PM

3,715 posts, read 1,632,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Play the tv really loud.
Worse, or in addition to loud TV is having to read subtitles to get all the missed dialogue. HATE that.

Old Today, 02:28 PM

12,983 posts, read 14,266,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I wear blue jeans and t-shirts, sweatshirts in winter.

white socks.

see doctors a lot. different kinds of doctors too.
Pretty similar wardrobe...with the addition of shorts all summer because it is too warm for jeans by midday. And grey wool socks have been my standard for decades...I only have two pair that aren't, and they are dark blue wool and red.

The doctors item is a real red button for me. I am old, and I feel physically very uncomfortable most of the time...."the days dwindle down to a precious few." So I really resent half a day screwing around waiting, waiting, then the visit, then the waiting to pay, then making appointments for tests....when what I really want is to have my carcass outside somewhere with the trees, meadows, wind and birds. If it is not obvious, the person who used to be Mr. Nice Guy is getting to be a grump, and though I may camouflage him well I hate having to make the effort to keep a lid on the old fart.

Although after emigrating from the U.S. twenty years ago I developed a taste for many kinds of foreign music, I still thoroughly enjoy the Rhythm n Blues, soul, Motown that I did from the Fifties through the Eighties...and jazz and occasionally Broadway shows, operas and classical pieces that I saw and heard many, many decades ago when I moved to NYC. But it took getting high on grass before I could enjoy any Baroque music, yuck! - way back when grass was illegal. Now I live in a country where you can legally buy recreational marijuana, and I don't ...but still I enjoy the Baroque music.

And I think, "Sheesh, maybe you really have turned a corner."

Old Today, 02:33 PM

39,810 posts, read 48,224,280 times
Pass gas, drool, nap, watch Andy& Barney, eat, sleep, tinkle, repeat routine.

Old Today, 02:44 PM

5,542 posts, read 2,833,389 times
I read a book instead of a kindle whenever I have to wait for an appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or