Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 03:52 PM

22,820 posts, read 6,429,299 times

Advertisements

Like Silibran I park in the same area when grocery shopping so I don't have to worry about forgetting where I parked....much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,351,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
There is a setting on most newer TVs that emphasize speech over music or background noises. You may need to do an internet search on your TV model to find it.
Didn't know that, but in the meantime Closed Captioning is a huge help. Especially with British shows that have a lot of accents and slang.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:10 PM

25,569 posts, read 56,441,988 times
I pretty much stream only UK stuff. No trouble understanding the aristo/upper class/educated accent. The other classes not so much. London cockney, working class and regional (like Yorkshire or Northumberland) and farmer/rural are almost gibberish to me, so CC is a lifesaver.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:21 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,269,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
You forgot the folding umbrella!!
HA! Got that covered--I have a rain poncho--and also a bright green rain slicker I can fold into a square and put in a freezer bag to tuck in my purse!

Old 08-25-2019, 04:23 PM

535 posts, read 343,281 times
I like to occasionally take a nap....O.K. more than "occasionally..." two or three times a week.

I like to watch old movies and listen to 60's and 70's music.

I color my hair.

I have arthritis and I complain about it and other ailments. This started on my 50th birthday. I am 63 now.

I like to go to estate sales and thrift stores.

I like to sew.

I like to babysit my grandson.

I like to travel.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:25 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,898,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
y.ak is a censored word on these forums,. I wish they would uncensor it, as it is useful in a lot of the word games.

Re OP: I stopped dyeing my hair, now I am proud of my pure white hair.

I think pure white hair is beautiful. My granddad had a thick head of gorgeous white hair till he died at 92. Mine is silver and I like it. Didn't realize how much I had till the other day, standing beside my car and caught a glimpse of myself in the side mirror. Yikes! It was soooo shiny! And a lot of it. It doesn't show up like that in my bathroom light! Right now it's basically just the ends and I'm getting it trimmed tomorrow.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:25 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,269,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Like Silibran I park in the same area when grocery shopping so I don't have to worry about forgetting where I parked....much easier.

My remedy for this was to buy a screamin' green car so I can easily pick it out in a parking lot--which is a good thing now as my key fob no longer works so I can no longer BEEP to find it!

Old 08-25-2019, 04:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,898,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
There is a setting on most newer TVs that emphasize speech over music or background noises. You may need to do an internet search on your TV model to find it.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,938,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I also drive a minivan, does that count?
In 2015 I needed to have a Pay or Quit Notice served on our deadbeat tenants. A certain process server was recommended to me. We spoke on the phone. He sounded tough, like a punk. We agreed to meet at a McDonalds near the rental. I wondered what I was getting into.

When he drove up, my doubts evaporated. His vehicle was a burgundy minivan. Nobody who cares about street cred drives a minivan. He turned out to be nice and quite professional.

So, no, I don’t think a minivan means old. But if you want to be a member of a street gang, you should probably leave it at home.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:18 PM

240 posts, read 267,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Watching more TV reruns (Frasier, Murder She Wrote, Columbo are my favorites)

Now that I'm retired I've stopped wearing make-up altogether. Too hot in FL and at this stage of the game who am I trying to impress?

I walk like an "old person"--I get up off a chair or out of bed and I shuffle along until the stiffness subsides.

This is the first time I've purchased shoes (sneakers) for $100+. Had to get orthotics ($60) and orthotic flip-flops ($99 on sale) and a gel foam topper for my mattress--all in an attempt to mitigate low back pain.

It takes me 2-3 days to recover from a gym workout

I now understand why old people like to abscond with and save packets of sugar, mustard, catsup, etc. It would take me 2 years to finish one bottle of catsup! I once discovered an unopened jar of peanut butter in my pantry that expired a year earlier. I opened it and eventually used up the entire jar--and have lived to tell about it

I had to break down and get a grocery cart as the distance from my parking space to the door of my apartment is too far to lug grocery bags by hand.

I'm looking more and more like my dad in drag

I've become a "bag lady" much like my mother. I save/reuse all sorts of plastic bags. Likewise, carrying around 30 pounds of loose change in my wallet....

I'm less patient than I used to be--again the apple doesn't fall far from that familial tree!

The difference between and young concert goers and senior concert goers:

--Young people carry their license, keys and credit card (maybe makeup if they're girls)

--A Senior carries their license, keys and credit card--PLUS cash, their Medicare card, their medical insurance card, their ARP card, AAA membership card and auto insurance card, any medications they may need and perhaps a snack/drink and a sweater in case it gets cold, etc. I also carry a small drawstring backpack folded up and tucked in my purse just in case I get tired of carrying all that stuff. I have a jacket that also folds up into a small pouch.

This is priceless! Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement