U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 19 23.75%
SUV/Crossover 61 76.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 01:33 PM

23,090 posts, read 19,525,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I'm not old just yet but bought as if I was. After some research decided on 2020 Soul.

Biggest reason for me that translate well to an older driver are:
Visibility- Big straight up windows and easy to see out of especially with the higher seating.
Egress- can easily climb in and out of.
Passenger and Cargo space- Comfortably sits 4 with plenty of head room and good space for groceries etc.

Over all size- Interior space but small footprint so easy to maneuver and park in tight areas.

Reasonable Cost- $25/k for a well optioned vehicle.

Safety Tech- All kinds of alerts and assists for, passing, braking, staying in lane, etc. Stuff not a big deal to me (yet) but important for my 77 year old mother.
I bought from the other Korean car company, Hyundai. I bought a new 2019 Tuscon suv. It's perfect. Higher than a car, nice storage room in the back, although I always just use the backseat for my groceries. Seats 5, I find I park it better than the sedan I traded in.

More alerts and assists than I have ever had in a vehicle. I don't NEED them but I have them turned on for when idiots pass behind my backing up vehicle or pass me on the right.

They go for about $23, 24K. I got mine with my trade in and some wheelin dealin for $21K.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 02:30 PM

799 posts, read 1,867,151 times
Gee, in Alabama pedestrians have the right of way over vehicles in parking lots and we’re allowed to pass drivers obstructing traffic on either side. I’ll need to remember Florida laws are different.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:08 PM

15,411 posts, read 17,932,776 times
A 1954 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. They are built like a tank.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=1954...w=1536&bih=752

Old 08-29-2019, 04:19 PM

4,815 posts, read 3,340,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
A 1954 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. They are built like a tank.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=1954...w=1536&bih=752

I don't know why, but this made me think of "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation"......Marty Robbins.

When this was on the radio a lot, there was a guy at my school who had the car and drove around with the song blasting. Fun days.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,079,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
That's my take. That, or the Toyota equivalent (Rav4?).

Boring as all get out, but a decent size, OK visibility (in a brave new world where you can't see out of cars), decent mileage, 4wd if needed.
I looked at Rav4 before I purchased the Kia and price was in the $35/k range but that may have been for the higher trim level.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:47 PM

15,411 posts, read 17,932,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I don't know why, but this made me think of "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation"......Marty Robbins.

When this was on the radio a lot, there was a guy at my school who had the car and drove around with the song blasting. Fun days.

That is one of my favorite songs, along with
"Kisses Sweeter Than Wine" by..... Jimmie Rodgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iulmZAz8XfY
&
"In the Still of The Night" by.....The Five Satins.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRb1-SAAIzs
"A White Sport Coat & a Pink Carnation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD8MnvyAi6I

Old 08-29-2019, 06:00 PM

1,072 posts, read 984,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Iím a 60-year old female and looking for a new 2019 or 2020 car. I know that everyone says not to buy new, but thatís what I want since I hope to keep my next car at least 20 years, which is how long Iíve had my current car. Iím a planner so Iím thinking into my future needs as I age, and this could be my last car.

When I started this process, I never even considered anything but a sedan because thatís the only kind Iíve owned, but I saw this article and others like it and wonder if Iíd be making a mistake at this stage of my life.
https://clark.com/cars/best-cars-senior-drivers/

If I did buy an SUV, Iíd definitely want the most reliable and durable smaller crossover type so itís more compact or subcompact. As a senior driver, what do you drive, and do you prefer a sedan or SUV and why? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.
I don't know of any vehicle that you buy new today that will possibly be around 20 yrs from now. Good luck tho!

Old 08-29-2019, 06:10 PM

4,815 posts, read 3,340,156 times
^^^^Hawk J^^^^^ Loved the music, too. The song "In The Still Of The Night" was the theme of my senior ball in high school (1960).

Jimmie Rodgers..... enjoyed him, too.

The music of today is really hard to understand (for me, anyway). Most of the time I don't understand what they are saying. The beat of the song might be good, but when I don't know what is being said, it loses a lot.

I almost feel like I "go to another world" when I read about where you live. It sounds like a perfect life, peaceful, beautiful. Wildlife, so much to see and hear.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:26 PM

634 posts, read 127,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I don't know of any vehicle that you buy new today that will possibly be around 20 yrs from now. Good luck tho!
The best shot would be for cars with the highest production. I'd probably vote Rav4 for that...plus Toyota's reputation.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:32 PM

8,138 posts, read 5,165,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I disagree. Surely as one gets older, one better realizes the timeless value of a classic? Just as the 1964 Mustang or 1967 Camaro will probably be around for centuries in the future, collected and stored and admired, so too probably will cars like the 2020 Lotus Evora, or the outgoing C7 Corvette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or