U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 21 25.00%
SUV/Crossover 63 75.00%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 06:14 AM

587 posts, read 680,703 times

Advertisements

We bought a Honda CR-V and glad we did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 09:10 AM

648 posts, read 130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I disagree. Surely as one gets older, one better realizes the timeless value of a classic? Just as the 1964 Mustang or 1967 Camaro will probably be around for centuries in the future, collected and stored and admired, so too probably will cars like the 2020 Lotus Evora, or the outgoing C7 Corvette.
I sincerely doubt that late model cars will be around in the long term. Parts availability will become too difficult, especially in the case of ECM and other controller boards...plus increasingly monolithic design where systems interact. The wrecking yards will eventually empty.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:13 AM

1,572 posts, read 725,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
A 1954 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. They are built like a tank.....
1954 cadillac coupe deville photo - Google Search
Did you see Maybelline in a Coupe DeVille?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:26 PM

8,140 posts, read 5,167,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I sincerely doubt that late model cars will be around in the long term. Parts availability will become too difficult, especially in the case of ECM and other controller boards...plus increasingly monolithic design where systems interact. The wrecking yards will eventually empty.
That's in interesting question. The whole concept of wrecking-yards may eventually atrophy. But consider: today, there are aftermarket companies that will stamp-out a "new" 1969 Camaro body. It is possible to build such a Camaro completely out of 2019 parts, either with "period-correct" components, or new ones, such as an LS-series engine with fuel injection. The immediate reason is that there's a business-case, found and exploited by the various manufacturers. But the broader reason is that there remains a fond cultural appreciation for such cars, and that's what drives the market.

It is reasonable to suppose, that as cars in general become rarer, particular cars that stand as milestones of engineering-achievement will come to be recognized and venerated as historical objects. Such milestones are not limited to the muscle-car era. They're rarer now, but in the long-term, that would render them even more valuable.

Perhaps the tenor of this thread was inevitable, but even so, I am dismayed at the dearth of automotive enthusiasm. We hear about safety, reliability, good mpg and ease of ingress...but what about performance, aesthetics or timelessness? I would have thought, that automotive-enthusiasm leans older, and that it would be precisely in this forum, that one would find more persons inclined to celebrate cars as fine and venerable machines. But sadly, instead they're viewed as yeoman appliances... the same view as what one finds among the younger-sort, who wants to live downtown and eschew cars altogether.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:29 PM

3,731 posts, read 1,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Iím a 60-year old female and looking for a new 2019 or 2020 car. I know that everyone says not to buy new, but thatís what I want since I hope to keep my next car at least 20 years, which is how long Iíve had my current car. Iím a planner so Iím thinking into my future needs as I age, and this could be my last car.

When I started this process, I never even considered anything but a sedan because thatís the only kind Iíve owned, but I saw this article and others like it and wonder if Iíd be making a mistake at this stage of my life.
https://clark.com/cars/best-cars-senior-drivers/

If I did buy an SUV, Iíd definitely want the most reliable and durable smaller crossover type so itís more compact or subcompact. As a senior driver, what do you drive, and do you prefer a sedan or SUV and why? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.
The Honda CR-V is a great choice. It's relatively small but roomy, reliable, and the driver sits up high for good visibility.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 1,621,574 times
Quote:
Perhaps the tenor of this thread was inevitable, but even so, I am dismayed at the dearth of automotive enthusiasm. We hear about safety, reliability, good mpg and ease of ingress...but what about performance, aesthetics or timelessness? I would have thought, that automotive-enthusiasm leans older, and that it would be precisely in this forum, that one would find more persons inclined to celebrate cars as fine and venerable machines. But sadly, instead they're viewed as yeoman appliances... the same view as what one finds among the younger-sort, who wants to live downtown and eschew cars altogether.
Seriously? This is the retirement forum. I dare say most "enthusiasts" outgrew that decades ago. It's always been a game for youth and middle aged.

I had my datsun 240Z when I was a young adult - Koni shocks and Michelin tires. Had a brit sports car before that. Fun in their day. But now? I no longer want, or need, to have the latest tech, the hottest car. These days, a car is a sled, an expensive one at that. Why should I feel different? There are many other things I liked as a young adult that I don't now. And the opposite is true. That's how the path of life is. Taste changes.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:03 PM

1,572 posts, read 725,040 times
Quote:
I grew up in the 1960s, when the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean sang songs about Stingrays, 409s, etc.
Now in 2019, nobody would write a song about a Honda car. But I think it's a good thing for society that cars are coming to be viewed as appliances, like microwaves.
Fewer cars means less driving, fewer road deaths, and less air pollution.

Even so, there are still millions of vehicles sold every year... they're more economical, safer, etc. than the cars of the 1960s, but why are they so drab??
Utility needn't be conjoined with dullness. Vehicles could be practical but also attractively packaged. Why are there so many ugly cars and bland colors today?
What became of good design?

Old 08-31-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Seriously? This is the retirement forum. I dare say most "enthusiasts" outgrew that decades ago. It's always been a game for youth and middle aged.
Most, but not all. Of course, most people under the age of 60+ don't much care about cars either. Check out your local hotrodder club, they make me feel young.

I can see the sense of buying an appliance car although given the rapid improvements in EVs (and the late-stage overcomplexity of ICE vehicles), I probably wouldn't buy a new one right now. For a little while, I think that cars are on the same obsoletion timeline as consumer electronics.

Personally, I'd happily drive a hemicuda as my daily if the prices hadn't been pushed up so high lately by Barrett-Jackson, ageing men who just discovered muscle cars, collectors (*cough* hoarders), etc., since things like that are essentially all I've ever owned.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
That's in interesting question. The whole concept of wrecking-yards may eventually atrophy. But consider: today, there are aftermarket companies that will stamp-out a "new" 1969 Camaro body. .
One thing that's a bummer about those is that I've never run into anyone who was happy with the quality.

You'd think that if someone were to go to the trouble to actually stamp sheet metal parts, they'd be accurate, but they're not.

If I were Bill Gates, I think that one of my hobby companies would be to make dead-nuts-on reproduction parts.

One of the good side effects of this endgame interest in late 1960's/early 1970's cars is that all 50k of the original 20k Z/28s are still on the road.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:19 AM

34,842 posts, read 33,942,961 times
I have a Subaru Legacy. It's my second one. I have trouble with my legs and stepping up into a vehicle and getting out. I need a vehicle low to the ground to get in and out of. SUVs or trucks won't cut it and neither will some sedans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or