U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 23 26.14%
SUV/Crossover 65 73.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2019, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Mtns of Waynesville,NC & Nokomis, FL
4,271 posts, read 8,175,463 times
Reputation: 5371

Advertisements

I like my '02 VetteVert, Z51, 6MT...
Have had it since new, handles like a go cart, great braking/exc steering, lots of room for trips with my wife, remarkable gas mileage, etc.

67,000 miles and I can count on my thumbs the stuff that has 'broken' in the 17 years.

Not as difficult to climb in/out as one might think, comfortable rolling down the road, and fun to drive...

Every has there own bag, but some of the rec'ds read like we are ready for the home.
72 yr old geezer here, but jeeshhh, have some fun driving.

We have two other cars and 3 m'cycles, but the VetteVert is my fave and maybe the best car I have owned in 55 yrs of lots of different cars.
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
What is the best car for senior drivers?-us163-into-monumentvalley-pano-b-w  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2019, 01:37 PM
 
8,144 posts, read 5,167,526 times
Reputation: 13909
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Seriously? This is the retirement forum. I dare say most "enthusiasts" outgrew that decades ago. It's always been a game for youth and middle aged.

I had my datsun 240Z when I was a young adult - Koni shocks and Michelin tires. Had a brit sports car before that. Fun in their day. But now? I no longer want, or need, to have the latest tech, the hottest car. These days, a car is a sled, an expensive one at that. Why should I feel different? There are many other things I liked as a young adult that I don't now. And the opposite is true. That's how the path of life is. Taste changes.
First, a large percentage of retirees ARE middle-aged. And the OP is 60. Last I checked, that was still middle-age.

Second, when was your most recent occasion for visiting a car-show? What was the apparent median age? I see plenty of men with WW2 or Korean War hats, perambulating with a walker, or perhaps in wheel-chairs. I find few car-show attendees who aren't at least in their 50s. Most are older.

Third, what do you suppose is the median age of a Corvette owner? According to this site, it's 61: https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...e-think-again/

I quite agree about the irrelevance of "the latest tech". But that's the whole point! "The latest tech" appeals to persons who regard cars as being mere appliances. Enthusiasts prefer carburetors and manual transmissions. In other words, retirement is the perfect time to buy, enjoy and drive that 240Z. But apparently not on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,602 posts, read 60,352,580 times
Reputation: 54409
I'm 60 and I drive a candy apple red Mazda3 6-speed hatchback. I will drive a standard transmission until either my right shoulder or my left knee/ankle wear out.

When that happens, I'll probably buy a small CUV like a Honda HRV or a Mazda CX-3. I've never driven a sedan, and don't intend to start now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Now that is just plain silly. You say buy a Subaru, but avoid the CVT? Why not simply say donít buy a Subaru, because your only transmission choice is a CVT.
Not so. You could get a standard transmission. Subaru still offers them for several models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
An SUV sits higher so it's easier to get in and out
Out yes, in not so much. I recently spent 2 weeks in a Jeep Compass (ugh - no pickup at all!) and found it easy to slide out of, but not as easy to climb into. I had a hard time lifting my bum right knee high enough to get into the car.

Now that I have my Mazda3 back, I have an easy time getting in, but getting out is a trick. You just can't win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I would have thought, that automotive-enthusiasm leans older, and that it would be precisely in this forum, that one would find more persons inclined to celebrate cars as fine and venerable machines. But sadly, instead they're viewed as yeoman appliances
They can be both - I appreciate the practicality of my car, but also enjoy the fine and pleasant task of shifting gears and listening to the engine hum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
100 posts, read 23,541 times
Reputation: 23
Thanks so much everyone for your great feedback and words of wisdom. I guess the majority of retirees aren’t any different than the general population - most people prefer an SUV or CUV – but it’s interesting to learn your reasons for wanting these instead of a sedan. Once I test drive a couple of CUV’s, I’ll update my thread. I’m anxious to see what I’m missing and if I feel the same as most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
100 posts, read 23,541 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We own three SAABs and one of them is 20 years old, the newest is 12 years old.

Slightly higher vehicles, such as Subaru's lifted wagons or small Cross-overs, are easier for Seniors to enter/exit, and load/unload the cargo area.

There is tremendous change in automobiles currently and the only way a new vehicle will provide you with 20 years of Parts and Service availability is to stay with a brand that still honors their roots. Such as Subaru, although I would avoid their CVT as it is new and may not yet be proven.
I had no idea when I first started researching to get a new car that Iíd become so frustrated. I quickly learned that things are a lot different today than when I bought my current car in 1999! I thought it was going to be a quick and easy thing because my plan was to buy either a Toyota or Honda (and still is) since those brands have always been very reliable, which is my #1 criteria. I then started learning about CVT transmissions in new cars in general and how so many people hate them. I posted this thread a couple of months ago and have been driving myself crazy ever since. Iím still not inclined to buy a car that has a CVT, which is difficult because so many have them today. Iíd prefer a traditional automatic transmission.
Do new Corollas and Camrys only come with CVT or 8-speed automatic transmissions?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
 
657 posts, read 130,367 times
Reputation: 835
I was walking to town today and passed by a (I think) mid 2000's Honda CRV. I really liked the small size and lack of origami styling compared to a late model one. In a world of car-as-appliance for an older person, that looked like the absolutely ideal vehicle.


One of those and a Boss 429 would be about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
100 posts, read 23,541 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP you should test drive as many vehicles as you can to see what is compatible with what you want and driving habits. And remember all the new vehicles have highly sophisticated electronic control systems, some which are difficult to figure out for older folks.
Reliability and not giving me a bunch of aggravation because of needed repairs is what will be the most compatible for me. If a car isnít rated as highly reliable, I could care less if itís comfortable or easy to get in and out of. I just want to know that I can make it from Point A to Point B and back to Point A safely on a regular basis. Longevity and resale value are also important. I detest car problems because it stresses me out since I only have one car. I donít even want to test drive a car if itís not rated highly as to reliability so thatís why Iíve been doing so much online research first. Sadly, it seems that doesnít leave a lot of options these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
100 posts, read 23,541 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I am similar to you. I had a 2006 Honda CRV that served me very well and was intended to be the last car purchase - until I was rear-ended at a red light. The frame was bent in 2 places, so essentially the vehicle was totalled twice, I came out alive. An SUV is probably safer, but it is also bigger than needed after children are grown.

I didn't want someone else's dirty car - had to be new. I decided on a hybrid vehicle with AWD, compact, low operating cost, and which will last a long time. I purchased the 2019 Prius AWD-e. I had to get used to sitting closer to the ground, or lower than SUVs and trucks. I bought on April Fools Day, I've used 2 tanks of gas between then and now - great mileage. The battery recharges by braking - no plug in. It has good power on hills. The navigation system is basically stupid - gives me ridiculous routes that make no sense. I'm not sure whether an update is needed or what the problem is, but that system sucks. I can put a bicycle in the back of the Prius, so loads of room if needed.

Interesting point to consider - I read an article recently that people over 55 take their eyes off the road for an average of 8 seconds at a time to interact with car electronics, people under 55 do it for 2 seconds. That is a safety issue to keep in mind when purchasing a car with too many electronics. The Prius, for example, projects a digital screen onto the windshield providing in-the-moment feedback about gas/battery use.
Sorry to hear about your accident. What is it about CRVís that it seems theyíre rear-ended a lot? The same thing happened to a friend of mine the day after she bought her new CR-V, but hers thankfully wasnít totaled although she has problems with the electronics now!

In the beginning, I sort of thought about a Prius or hybrid, but it doesnít make financial sense for me. I donít drive anywhere near the kind of miles I used to drive so I canít justify paying all that extra money upfront or later buying a more expensive battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
100 posts, read 23,541 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzlouise View Post
I never thought I would buy a crossover/SUV vehicle because I'm not the best at parking and always thought it would be too much car for me. But I love driving it and now can't see myself ever going back to a smaller vehicle.
My gut still tells me that even CUVís are too large for my needs, but itís good to know that you previously felt the same as I do and now you have a different viewpoint. This is why I always like to keep an open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
100 posts, read 23,541 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
One huge reason I never look at Subaru vehicles and many others, is exactly because they have a conventional CVT transmission, and also because of excessive oil use (other brands too), and the bad taste left from so many head gasket issues you will see. I know, many will report there is no head gasket issue, consumer report seems OK with how they hold up and perhaps they finally did correct it, just the same it sticks with me... At least since 2013 they finally got on board using a timing chain on almost all models.

I should mention it's just not the seeming fact that many CVT transmissions (JATCO) have very profound reliability issues, it's also I hate how they drive... They always seem/sound/act like a slipping MT clutch. Lastly, the CVT used in the Toyota Prius, Lexus CT (Hybrid Synergy Drive), are other Toyota hybrids a very different cat. They do in fact used steel gears and other methods to propel, not the cone drum and belt/steel push belt found in other CVT systems. If interested, here is a very nice video very clearly showing this fascinating system.

https://youtu.be/dLNDGUISTYM
Thanks for the video. Like you, when I first started doing research for my new car, I, too, crossed cars off my list once I learned they had a CVT transmission. I initially thought Iíd get a new Corolla, Camry, Accord or CR-V mainly because of their history of reliability. I then found that all but the Camry have a CVT transmission now, and I didnít like the redesigned Corolla anyway! Iím still going to test drive an Accord to see how it compares to the Camry and also the CR-V because of the responses to this thread. I think the CR-V is cute and my favorite of the CUVís I looked at online, but I doubt if Iíll be able to get past the fact that it has a CVT even if I do like driving a CUV. Iíve just read too many bad things about CVTís and watched way too many negative videos to be willing to take the chance. CVTís also require more maintenance, and my goal is to have a simpler life in the near future.

Here are some of Scotty Kilmerís videos about CVT transmissions. I always find him to be very educational, as well as entertaining.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqZseFMPooA
Should You Buy a CVT Transmission Car (How It Works)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZ5-ifYQho
Why Most CVT Transmission Cars are Terrible



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GflS2YOPixE&vl=en
Here's What I Think About Honda CVT Transmissions


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtiAMUPYRU
The Fatal Flaw of Subaru Cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top