U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 23 26.14%
SUV/Crossover 65 73.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

100 posts, read 23,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I sure hope so, and not sure exactly what would define 'ancient history'...

https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-2...1420688744757/

https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-1...1420683845519/

The actual TSB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...80542-0699.pdf

This capture is from Consumer Reports, for a Forester, where engines not too long ago got the worst rating possible. I may recon ancient differently than others I guess (I drive an 06 manual trans Toyota), and it is encouraging to see the red go to green in latter years... Hope it keeps the trend, and I have found a definite correlation with their data and my actual hands on experience.

As for the issues I mention of earlier Subaru vehicles as it relates to how handled:

Corrective action: Dealers will replace the short block assembly.

Is pretty endemic of about as serious an issue you can have, if your vehicle confirms the problem. I will also re-state as I said in my initial post that Subaru is/was far from the only offender. Toyota had a similar problems and 'fix' regarding their 2AZ and early 1ZZ series engines, 'oil gelling', etc. Another 'problem' is how makers have gone IMO to a crazy criteria, for what constitutes excessive oil consumption. Seems CR agrees with what I have believed for a very long time:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm

Toyota/Subaru say using a qt of oil per 1200 miles is OK and within spec, some makers say 700 or so is normal! Yep, I'm not a powertrain engineer; I was however a service manager for a dealership, training director for an automotive service company, auto tech... All of this from long ago, but still I believe valid enough for most purposes.

Even *if* using say 4-5 qt's between a 6000-7500 mile oil change interval is OK by the makers, the cost to you is no joke for the oil, not to mention a LOT more pollution and detriment to the emissions system. I will say I believe to the extreme that any oil you use within the correct weight, spec, and change interval should be a FULL SYNTHETIC. Even with the vast improvement of conventional oils, full synthetics are superior and worth every penny. As for CVT transmissions, I believe you will find JATCO made/engineered transmissions not up to the reliability expected (Nissan it seems especially) for whatever reason, amid the seemingly endless variables that could be at play, where Aisin made ones are superior, even with both receiving proper service... Yep, as in you can still change the fluid in CVT's, and hopefully maximize longevity inherent to whatever extent the unit has.

I have no axe to grind with any maker, and hope folks most importantly enjoy whatever they purchase, and it brings them happiness and satisfaction.
Thanks for this fantastic information. I guess I read something about excessive oil consumption somewhere along the way of doing my research, but it didnít really register so youíve helped me understand this more. Does Toyota still have a problem with this? A 2019 or 2020 Camry is still on my list, but the last thing in the world I want to do is worry about my oil or anything else for that matter on a new car. One of the reasons Iím getting rid of my car is it has a valve cover leak and a couple other mechanical issues that annoy me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

657 posts, read 130,367 times
Those Scotty Kilmer videos have a lot of wisdom for regular person cars I think.

Just to throw out one more alternative...find the absolute cheapest, lowest option, Toyota Tacoma. Probably in white.

Simple, high resale value, throw stuff in the back, decent visibility, reliable, easy entrance/exit.

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post
I recently rented a Camry with all those features, hated it, turned them all off. The lane departure warning was always ringing, like if I wanted to avoid a pothole, or a police car was on the side of the road and I move a little to the left to give him room. And the forward collision warning/braking would go off when I drove underneath a overpass, guess it though it was a car? That is startling. I don't need to be startled at my age lol. It was the same one overpass, didn't do it for other overpasses. My two feet are my adaptive cruise control. I did like the blind spot warning.
Do you know what year Camry you rented? Iím just curious because Iím still considering a 2019 or 2020 Camry. Iím actually looking forward to having all these new safety features that I donít have on my 20-year old car. Iím sure Iíll have to initially get used to all the beeps and warnings, but Iíd much rather hear those than be involved in an accident. When I do get my new car, I intend to make sure the dealership earns their money and gives me a very thorough demonstration so I know how to properly use this new technology.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I've been researching new cars, all small SUV's. I am wondering if all those new safety features have been debugged enough. I have a CX5 that screeches at me whenever I drive in one specific area. It only happens in that area. According to the dealer, I am not the only one with this kind of issue and they have no idea how to stop it. It seems like it needs some kind of filter to block extraneous signals, but apparently that is beyond the ability of their techs to figure out. What about all the other safety features that are being added every year? If they malfunction, can they fix them or do you have to pay thousands to get a whole new sealed module? I'm wondering if it might be better to wait a few years to buy a new car.
This concerns me a lot as well. I wish I had the luxury of waiting a few years before buying a new car, but I donít. My car has a few mechanical issues now, and I donít want to put more money into it.

Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I'd never buy a sedan again, mostly because getting in and out of a car gets harder and harder as I get older and older.
At this point in my life, I donít have any problems getting in and out of my car, and I want to believe it will always be that way. In fact, I have a hard time thinking otherwise, but this is exactly why I posted this thread. I always like to learn from people who have more life experience than me or have been through something that I havenít.

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Too many unanswered questions to give you an answer. For example, how many miles a year do you drive, is it local or long distance, how many passengers, do you need to occasionally haul large items, is gas mileage important, do you have room for a larger SUV, can you drive a larger SUV, etc.
How many miles a year do you drive? Letís put it this way, my car is 20 years old, and it has 79k miles on it. Part of that is because I used to work out of my home. When I traveled for work, I was very efficient about it or I flew. My life is very different now. I currently live in an area where everything I could possibly ever want or need is only a short distance from my house, but Iím planning to move to SW Florida and have no idea how that will change my driving habits. I do know I want to be a volunteer driver for the ACS.

Is it local or long distance? Most of the time itís local now, but who knows what the future holds.

How many passengers? Right now itís usually just me.

Do you need to occasionally haul large items? Not typically. There have been times that a larger car would have come in handy like when I needed to get a bunch of mulch or whatever, but I plan to have a simpler life when I move because I donít want to deal with any of that now.

Is gas mileage important? Iím frugal by nature so I always want to save money, but itís not as important to me as having a car that accelerates properly, is reliable and lasts forever.

Do you have room for a larger SUV? Probably, but Iím going to move I hope sooner rather than later. If I donít stick with my original plan to get a sedan, Iíd want a compact CUV.

Can you drive a larger SUV, etc.? Even if I could, I donít want to. Iím used to driving a smaller car.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Be careful with the Honda CRV. The "turbo" version has a issue with oil dilution that Honda claims was resolved with a software fix, however all indications are that it hasn't worked.

The non turbo version is fine.
Thanks for clarifying that the non turbo CR-V is fine. I didnít catch exactly what he said, but a man at the pool store the other day said he didnít get a CR-V because he didnít like that itís a larger car with a smaller engine or something like that. Is there a specific CR-V model that I should test drive to make sure I have the best experience possible driving a CUV? Iíve never driven one and canít wait to compare it to a sedan.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

657 posts, read 130,367 times
One thing I'd avoid on new cars is anything with direct injection.

Old Today, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
One thing I'd avoid on new cars is anything with direct injection.
I have no idea what that means, why to avoid them and what cars that would entail. I did a quick Google search, but it was way over my head.

Old Today, 07:22 AM

342 posts, read 521,131 times
Honda CR-V has terrible pick up. I would never buy another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or