U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 14 23.73%
SUV/Crossover 45 76.27%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,611,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post
I recently rented a Camry with all those features, hated it, turned them all off. The lane departure warning was always ringing, like if I wanted to avoid a pothole, or a police car was on the side of the road and I move a little to the left to give him room. And the forward collision warning/braking would go off when I drove underneath a overpass, guess it though it was a car? That is startling. I don't need to be startled at my age lol. It was the same one overpass, didn't do it for other overpasses. My two feet are my adaptive cruise control. I did like the blind spot warning.
Yes, the implementation can vary! Some do better than others, which just highlights the importance of doing a good test drive - not just once around the block.

I hear you on lane departure warning. I live in a rural area with a lot of narrow, winding roads. Sometimes I just shut the alarm off. At the same time, I've had helpful reminders on other curvy roads.

The collision warning/emergency braking sometimes activates if I'm driving on a very hilly stretch - rolling hills. But those stretches are slow going, so it doesn't matter mjch to me, and worth the slight hassle in return for the protection in other settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

338 posts, read 519,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

edited to add: many magazines rated the 2018 Honda CRV as the best small SUV of the current crop. Believe me, before re-upping for another CRV we researched the heck out of it and still came up with getting another CRV. And as to the fellow who said it was slow and boring, I don't drive faster than 75, so I don't need a Porsche. My good friend wanted a CRV and her status conscious husband insisted on the Porsche Cayenne. They paid more than twice what we paid and she hates it.
If you read the reviews of SUVs, there is no comparing a Honda to a Porsche. They are not even in the same class of automobile. If you have not driven or owned a luxury car, you don't have the knowledge or experience to judge. As far as you friend, I guess it is her husband who makes the decisions for the couple. That's unfortunate.

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

2,251 posts, read 2,069,143 times
I've been researching new cars, all small SUV's. I am wondering if all those new safety features have been debugged enough. I have a CX5 that screeches at me whenever I drive in one specific area. It only happens in that area. According to the dealer, I am not the only one with this kind of issue and they have no idea how to stop it. It seems like it needs some kind of filter to block extraneous signals, but apparently that is beyond the ability of their techs to figure out. What about all the other safety features that are being added every year? If they malfunction, can they fix them or do you have to pay thousands to get a whole new sealed module? I'm wondering if it might be better to wait a few years to buy a new car.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

13,209 posts, read 8,955,192 times
Wow, these suggestions are downright dangerous. Someone over 60, if they have slow hands the last thing they need is being on a big SUV or minivan. As with so many times I see this on the roads that a senior is driving a big SUV slowly and crossing the median lane I pull over and find it's an older fella or woman. Get a car you can handle.

How about drive something with adaptive lane control, if you can't afford it. Get a smaller SUV that doesn't require sitting up high to see the road.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

8,108 posts, read 5,153,259 times
Corvette.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

147 posts, read 82,889 times
I'd recommend looking at the Honda HR-V or Kia Soul. Small but roomy on the inside, fairly high step-in and hip point. For something a bit bigger, consider the Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV.

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

4,462 posts, read 3,803,177 times
Can you waite a couple of years?
If you are doing local driving I would think of an electric car and if you have a longer trip rent a car.

If buying now I would start looking at the new safety features. Automatic breaking, beeps to warn of cars in your blind spot, lane change warnings when you do not turn on your turn signal. Just thinking as you get older you might need a little bit of help. The reason for the waite is I think more manufactures will be offering better safety devices in the next few years.

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

14,415 posts, read 45,278,945 times
Don't buy a stodgy old sedan or SUV, buy a Miata!

Miata Is Always The Answer!

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

8,108 posts, read 5,153,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Don't buy a stodgy old sedan or SUV, buy a Miata!

Miata Is Always The Answer!
I was going to post that, but instead settled on a Corvette. An automatic Corvette is a compromise, while an automatic Miata is a travesty; thus the nod to the Vette. Also, it's engineered for an, ahem, more mature driver. It does more to emphasize the sort of comfort-oriented concerns that so dominate this Forum.

But in all seriousness, our sunset years are supposed to be a time to indulge, to fulfill the latent dreams of our youth. Right? This is said for travel, for living-arrangement, for wielding money. Why make cars an exception, a bare and humdrum appliance?

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,611,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
If you are doing local driving I would think of an electric car and if you have a longer trip rent a car.
The pace of change in electric vehicles is pretty slow. It's limited to a great degree by battery technology, which is just seeing slow improvements.

Quote:
If buying now I would start looking at the new safety features. Automatic breaking, beeps to warn of cars in your blind spot, lane change warnings when you do not turn on your turn signal. Just thinking as you get older you might need a little bit of help. The reason for the waite is I think more manufactures will be offering better safety devices in the next few years.
In contrast to batteries and electrics, this area innovated pretty rapidly over the last decade or so to the point where things are getting relatively mature on the safety side. The innovation now has moved to semi-autonomous driving.

When it comes to technology, next year (or 5) will always be better. But the rate of change in safety technology has slowed, so I'd not hesitate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or