U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 15 23.08%
SUV/Crossover 50 76.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:47 PM

9,708 posts, read 6,425,221 times

Advertisements

An SUV sits higher so it's easier to get in and out, as well as the fact that it gives you abetter view of traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 06:11 PM

20,182 posts, read 19,177,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
An SUV sits higher so it's easier to get in and out, as well as the fact that it gives you abetter view of traffic
Not necessarily easier to get into unless you're pretty tall. One time a car rental place tried to make me take an SUV and I would have had to climb into it.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:34 PM

10,534 posts, read 12,474,233 times
car pool (not the kind they drive into either!)

Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 PM

792 posts, read 1,865,706 times
We have two SUVs, a 2015 Buick Enclave AWD and a 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser. The Buick is the quietest and most comfortable SUV we have ever had, and we’ve had a lot—mostly Ford Explorer Limiteds, a few Jeeps, a Toyota 4Runner, a Subaru Outback, and a Cadillac Escalade. The Land Cruiser (with 183,000 miles on lt) approaches the Buick in quietness, but cannot match the Buick’s ride quality or fuel mileage. The Jeeps were crude and required several repairs compared to the Explorers, which gave us excellent service. The Subaru was noisy and rode poorly but this might be expected from a base model; my cousin’s Touring Outback is very refined. The Cadillac served our needs nicely for several years and 181,000 miles with only two major air conditioning repairs at $1,000 each. The 4Runner was with us for only a little over a year, and performed admirably at towing and off-road duties without any repairs required.

Obviously, there are a lot of good choices out there in SUVs, and we appreciate the extra room and comfort you experience in a SUV. I cannot imagine going back to a sedan at this stage in our life. If we did it would be one with AWD for sure.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:59 PM

15,303 posts, read 8,721,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I have an SUV right now, but thinking of adding a Tesla. I saw photo of a guy napping while driving. My neighbor has two Tesla and they said the car drives itself. I prefer my SUV but a self driving car like a Tesla.
Seriously...it's an issue if drivers become so comfortable that they are inattentive. It may FEEL like it drives itself but the technology is not even close to that.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:34 PM

4,702 posts, read 4,574,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Our next one, with the safety features we want/need will be a Toyota Rav 4. It checks all our boxes for safety, comfort and reliability. A Subaru Forester is also a possibility.
Knowing that I would be retiring to snow country, I narrowed my search down to either a Subaru or a Toyota AWD RAV4. Wanted a Crosstrek hybrid, but the lack of a spare tire nixed that idea. Next test drove an Outback, but I felt claustrophobic while driving it. Drove the Forester next and the visibility was outstanding, but it felt a lot cheaper than the Outback.

Settled on the RAV4 primarily due to Toyota's reputation for reliability. Put 90,000 trouble-free miles on my 2015 Limited RAV4 at which time I traded it in on a 2018 Adventure RAV4. Only reason for trading it in was that the Adventure model can tow so much more weight, (it's the only model with the "tow package"). I am very, very happy with the RAV4 and would purchase another one, (well, I guess that's what I did).

Having had SUVs for the past decade, I cannot ever foresee going with something else. They are as useful as the station wagons of your youth.

p.s. Had a reason to use a rental last year for a few weeks. It was a Chevrolet Equinox. I was most impressed with it, but cannot say anything as to its mechanical reliability. It did quite well in the snow.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 PM

8,113 posts, read 5,155,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not necessarily easier to get into unless you're pretty tall. One time a car rental place tried to make me take an SUV and I would have had to climb into it.
Exactly. I don't want to have to take a flying-leap to be able to reach the cabin. It's far easier, more convenient and quicker for me to sit down onto the pavement, and get back up again, than to enter a modern pickup. It's even easier to climb into the cab of an 18-wheeler... at least those things have handles.

Easiest car for entry/exit: open-cockpit single seater. And you want safety? Hard to beat a 5-point harness and proper crash-helmet.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:05 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,341,405 times
We love Our Mazdas. We have a 2008 CX-9 which we will replace in a year or so with the CX-9 Signature AWD. And we have an MX-5 that is our out and about fun car. Opposites in the spectrum of sizes- but covers all the bases for us. The Mazdas have been the easiest handling and most comfortable cars we have owned. My sister in law has a new Subaru and the seats are not comfortable to me, and the road noise is irritating.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 AM

13,914 posts, read 6,651,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It depends on the SUV, I have Ford Explorer XLT, it would be a stretch to call me tall. Far from it.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:53 AM

5,986 posts, read 4,969,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
If you read the reviews of SUVs, there is no comparing a Honda to a Porsche. They are not even in the same class of automobile. If you have not driven or owned a luxury car, you don't have the knowledge or experience to judge. As far as you friend, I guess it is her husband who makes the decisions for the couple. That's unfortunate.
True...I should have said "best in its class", as luxury SUV's are a separate class in these magazines. For MY purposes (driving around town, comfortable road trips, carrying big objects, and fitting within a normal middle class budget), it's better than a Porsche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or