Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 26 25.49%
SUV/Crossover 76 74.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 03:05 PM

447 posts, read 475,396 times

Advertisements

I’m a 60-year old female and looking for a new 2019 or 2020 car. I know that everyone says not to buy new, but that’s what I want since I hope to keep my next car at least 20 years, which is how long I’ve had my current car. I’m a planner so I’m thinking into my future needs as I age, and this could be my last car.

When I started this process, I never even considered anything but a sedan because that’s the only kind I’ve owned, but I saw this article and others like it and wonder if I’d be making a mistake at this stage of my life.
https://clark.com/cars/best-cars-senior-drivers/

If I did buy an SUV, I’d definitely want the most reliable and durable smaller crossover type so it’s more compact or subcompact. As a senior driver, what do you drive, and do you prefer a sedan or SUV and why? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:20 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,124,986 times
A cab.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,652,476 times
I have an SUV right now, but thinking of adding a Tesla. I saw photo of a guy napping while driving. My neighbor has two Tesla and they said the car drives itself. I prefer my SUV but a self driving car like a Tesla.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 08-25-2019 at 03:31 PM..

Old 08-25-2019, 03:23 PM

4,261 posts, read 5,888,541 times
We own three SAABs and one of them is 20 years old, the newest is 12 years old.

Slightly higher vehicles, such as Subaru's lifted wagons or small Cross-overs, are easier for Seniors to enter/exit, and load/unload the cargo area.

There is tremendous change in automobiles currently and the only way a new vehicle will provide you with 20 years of Parts and Service availability is to stay with a brand that still honors their roots. Such as Subaru, although I would avoid their CVT as it is new and may not yet be proven.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,516,290 times
I bought a new 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD seventeen years ago this month. It now has about 135k miles and I still think of it as my beautiful new truck. Weighing almost three tons, it has the biggest engine (Vortec 8100) and six-speed stick shift which are no longer available. I bought a metal tonneau cover a couple weeks later which turned the bed into an immense trunk. It's the best vehicle that I've ever owned. It can handle any driving situation including cruising at 87 mph, 7 mph over the Wyoming interstate limit.

I would never buy a used vehicle.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 PM

44,542 posts, read 61,215,278 times
I have a newer Ford Explorer SUV and love it, wife does too for comfort, but she prefers driving her older Buick sedan for all around convenience.
OP you should test drive as many vehicles as you can to see what is compatible with what you want and driving habits. And remember all the new vehicles have highly sophisticated electronic control systems, some which are difficult to figure out for older folks.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 PM

474 posts, read 315,982 times
I have a 2010 Ford Escape. In the past I've owned sedans, Lexus ES300, Chevy Beretta, Nissan Altima.... By far I like the SUV best for several reasons but primarily because I can actually see out over the hood (sit higher) and I don't have to borrow someone's truck if I need to pick up larger items at Home Depot etc. It handles well, not great on gas but not horrible (about 28 mpg on hwy). It's comfortable and has more than enough room for the dogs....oh and people say the backseat is actually comfortable. I drove it from CT to AZ a few years ago, it was smooth sailing all the way. Would buy another one if they hadn't changed the body style.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:37 PM

644 posts, read 1,523,664 times
I see a lot of older folks driving Kia Souls, Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibes, and even Scion xB's... Shame the newest newest xB or Matrix/Vibes will not meet your 19 or 2020 criteria. All are reliable/very reliable, lots of room for size with great access, good mileage, easy to drive and they sit up higher than traditional sedans... Nice spot between small sedans and smallish CUVs. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:51 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,886,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
I’m a 60-year old female and looking for a new 2019 or 2020 car. I know that everyone says not to buy new, but that’s what I want since I hope to keep my next car at least 20 years, which is how long I’ve had my current car. I’m a planner so I’m thinking into my future needs as I age, and this could be my last car.

When I started this process, I never even considered anything but a sedan because that’s the only kind I’ve owned, but I saw this article and others like it and wonder if I’d be making a mistake at this stage of my life.
https://clark.com/cars/best-cars-senior-drivers/

If I did buy an SUV, I’d definitely want the most reliable and durable smaller crossover type so it’s more compact or subcompact. As a senior driver, what do you drive, and do you prefer a sedan or SUV and why? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.
I am similar to you. I had a 2006 Honda CRV that served me very well and was intended to be the last car purchase - until I was rear-ended at a red light. The frame was bent in 2 places, so essentially the vehicle was totalled twice, I came out alive. An SUV is probably safer, but it is also bigger than needed after children are grown.

I didn't want someone else's dirty car - had to be new. I decided on a hybrid vehicle with AWD, compact, low operating cost, and which will last a long time. I purchased the 2019 Prius AWD-e. I had to get used to sitting closer to the ground, or lower than SUVs and trucks. I bought on April Fools Day, I've used 2 tanks of gas between then and now - great mileage. The battery recharges by braking - no plug in. It has good power on hills. The navigation system is basically stupid - gives me ridiculous routes that make no sense. I'm not sure whether an update is needed or what the problem is, but that system sucks. I can put a bicycle in the back of the Prius, so loads of room if needed.

Interesting point to consider - I read an article recently that people over 55 take their eyes off the road for an average of 8 seconds at a time to interact with car electronics, people under 55 do it for 2 seconds. That is a safety issue to keep in mind when purchasing a car with too many electronics. The Prius, for example, projects a digital screen onto the windshield providing in-the-moment feedback about gas/battery use.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,136,113 times
My wife has a 2014 Escape, I have a 2017 F150. She doesn’t like to drive mine, but we need it to pull the 25’ travel trailer. Hers is a nice size for parking in the lots with ever shrinking spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement