Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 26 25.49%
SUV/Crossover 76 74.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 10:10 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times

Advertisements

I know a couple of women who have had Nissan Rogue SUV that you might like. Different sizes.

I'm driving a Nissan Sentra sedan that I am leasing. I had a Toyota Corolla and cried when I had to give that up, but bankruptcy will do that to you. Long story.
Anyway, I really like the Nissan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
We have an Accord and Civic. I think before we retire we will get either an Outback or Forester. We are still about 2 years out from adding another car.
Both good choices. As a Forester owner, I will say you get more for your money on the Forester and more pep. It's a wonderful long distance vehicle and does a great job on rutted dirt roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Rather than a specific make and model, I'd suggest looking for the following features:

1. Forward collision warning and automatic braking. Top of my list.
2. Adaptive cruise control - makes for safer highway cruising.
3. Lane departure warning.
4. Good cabin visibility - few or no blind spots, especially to the rear.
5. Blind spot warning (in addition to #4!)
6. Rear cross traffic alert. Parking lots are the biggest accident place!
#3 is really annoying. I live in the mountains and everyone who has Lane Departure warning has the darn feature going off at every curve. As for #5, I've had blind spot warning for over 50 years....I turn my head, before changing lanes! #1 is fun in heavy traffic

Old 08-26-2019, 10:25 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I sure hope so, and not sure exactly what would define 'ancient history'...

https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-2...1420688744757/

https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-1...1420683845519/
As you confirmed with your articles from 2011, and CR data from 6 years ago, ancient history!

Driving a car as old as you do, you may not have noticed that cars have changed a lot in just the past 6 years!

Old 08-26-2019, 10:29 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,093 times
In 2013--literally on a whim--I traded in my Kia Rondo for a 2012 Mazda 2 that was a dealership loaner car with 30K. The Rondo was a great car but at the time the check engine light would mysteriously go on. The dealership maintenance department couldn't find the problem so I thought that was a sign to start looking for another car.

I will fully admit I purchased the Mazda 2 because of its color--"screamin' green" (see attached)--and that the car itself fit me like a glove and handled really well. By today's standards it's pretty stripped down--no fancy bells or whistles--which was fine by me. It was affordable and it gets great gas mileage. Parking is also a breeze.

I will never own a sedan. That's just the way I roll. My cars have either been wagons, hatchbacks or small SUVs--also did a stint with a Dodge Caravan which wound up being a disaster--had to replace the transmission twice!

Now that I've relocated to FL driving is a whole different ballgame. Much too much traffic, a plethora of testosterone induced pickup trucks and crazy drivers abound! As I get older, navigating a new area with exponential traffic is more of a challenge. I'm thinking it's time for a new vehicle but I plan on waiting until 2022 when my car reaches 10 years old. By then I'll be tapping into my retirement savings (I'm currently getting by on a pension and SS) and will have the money on hand for another vehicle.

While on vacation this summer I rented a Kia Soul and drove it from CT to Buffalo and back. I was pleasantly surprised. It was roomier than I anticipated and rode "higher" than my Mazda 2 so visibility was better (I have to admit I miss my old Bronco II because of this!)--PLUS it had a back up camera. I'm the worst when it comes to backing out of a narrow driveway so my next car will definitely have one!

SUV crossovers have the advantage of riding higher off the ground so for a short person that's a plus. I've joked about getting a Buick because there was a time when that was the default vehicle for every senior on the planet.

The best determination of comfort is having an 80+ get in out of the vehicle you're considering. My aunt Jean loved my Rondo but hates the Mazda 2 because it's hard to get into--and it's very cramped in the back. My dad owned a pick-up truck and kept a wooden step stool in the vehicle for my 4'11" mother so she could hoist herself up!

I was driving around on Saturday and I must've seen 5 or 6 green Jeep Wranglers--hmmm--maybe the Universe is trying to tell me something....

To the OP: best thing to do is test drive those vehicles that instinctively appeal to you. Like those brides-to-be on Say Yes To The Dress you'll know the right one when you find it
Attached Thumbnails
What is the best car for senior drivers?-mazda2.jpg  

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 08-26-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 AM

83 posts, read 67,588 times
Quote:
Rather than a specific make and model, I'd suggest looking for the following features:

1. Forward collision warning and automatic braking. Top of my list.
2. Adaptive cruise control - makes for safer highway cruising.
3. Lane departure warning.
4. Good cabin visibility - few or no blind spots, especially to the rear.
5. Blind spot warning (in addition to #4!)
6. Rear cross traffic alert. Parking lots are the biggest accident place!

You can get each of these and more in just about any brand/model combination, but you may need to move up a trim line to get them all (and more...)
ore?
I recently rented a Camry with all those features, hated it, turned them all off. The lane departure warning was always ringing, like if I wanted to avoid a pothole, or a police car was on the side of the road and I move a little to the left to give him room. And the forward collision warning/braking would go off when I drove underneath a overpass, guess it though it was a car? That is startling. I don't need to be startled at my age lol. It was the same one overpass, didn't do it for other overpasses. My two feet are my adaptive cruise control. I did like the blind spot warning.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:07 AM

645 posts, read 1,539,810 times
Quote:
As you confirmed with your articles from 2011, and CR data from 6 years ago, ancient history!

Driving a car as old as you do, you may not have noticed that cars have changed a lot in just the past 6 years!
The links I posted are from 2016 that you quoted:

Show far more recent model years you left out, implying all of this relates to 2011... It does not - Some effected vehicles are of the 2015 model year... *I* don't consider 4 model years 'ancient history' for a vehicle effected by a VERY major defect, as it seems you do. All irrelevant to the OP, but I believe good information. Also as stated, I was glad to see a good trend toward Forester engine reliability, but this too can change as time goes on, and data is compiled.

I may drive an 06 and stated as such to demonstrate what my criteria might be for 'ancient'... Your assertion that I may not be aware of, or understand new technologies, features, know the reliability of newer vehicles, and/or that I have driven MANY newer vehicles is as far from untrue as north is from south.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:20 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:

Show far more recent model years you left out, implying all of this relates to 2011... It does not - Some effected vehicles are of the 2015 model year... *I* don't consider 4 model years 'ancient history' for a vehicle effected by a VERY major defect, as it seems you do. All irrelevant to the OP, but I believe good information. Also as stated, I was glad to see a good trend toward Forester engine reliability, but this too can change as time goes on, and data is compiled.

I may drive an 06 and stated as such to demonstrate what my criteria might be for 'ancient'... Your assertion that I may not be aware of, or understand new technologies, features, know the reliability of newer vehicles, and/or that I have driven MANY newer vehicles is as far from untrue as north is from south.
North often borders south.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:

Oh......it is so hard to check my oil level every month on my 2012 Forester.

Harder still to add a quart of oil every 2000-2500 miles and the expense!

But what really sucks is the lack of depreciation. In 2012 we realized it wasn’t cost effective to buy a three year old Subaru as opposed to a new one. So we bought new

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-26-2019 at 12:05 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 12:01 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
I'm fairly average in height for a guy (5'10"), but even so I find I have to crouch to get into
today's low-roofed cars. So when I need a vehicle, most likely it'll be a small / medium SUV,
probably a Subaru Forester (or a Jeep Grand Cherokee if I'm feeling extravagant).

Old 08-26-2019, 12:12 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Subaru Foresters are really good cars. I have a friend who just bought one. My Subaru is an Outback that we got second hand (low mileage and it belonged to a relative so no risk.) But my Subaru is a little bit too big. It's a joy to drive but not too much fun to park at times.

I see people with big SUVs that can't get into tricky parking spaces so I'd stay with the smaller Forester. It's nice because when you get out, you are level, not crouched down. Good for older people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement